Solo Newbie to Cruising... Need LOTS of advice!

mwwkw

Hi -- I've never been on a cruise and I'd like to do a short one my first time (maybe 3 days?). I also want to go alone -- My plan is to literally spend the entire time just sunbathing and reading. But I am really overwhelmed -- Is there a good website to locate cruises that don't charge exorbitant "single supplements"? Is it a good idea to wait until the the very last minute and find these cruises?

I'd appreciate ANY advice and any leads... I'll also be looking through this message board, but I thought it'd be fun to start the string up afresh.

Best Wishes!

The single supplement is a fact of life and there's no getting around them, unfortunately. And it's not websites or travel agents that charge the SS, it's the cruise line and travel agencies can't do anything about them, so we're all stuck. On some lines, the least expensive cabins might have a slightly lower SS, but there's not one line that will negotiate the SS's. Booking late doesn't make any difference, and the chance you take by waiting to book is that the cabins that might offer a slightly lower SS would be taken. But, just be prepared, as those really short cruises have the reputation of being very party till you puke cruises---lots of people trying to shove 7 days of parties into three or four days of cruises.

I'd suggest reading thru the posts in this forum to get tips on solo cruising. If you want to relax, I'd recommend something longer than 3 days. Ideally, 7 days give you a better feel as to the real cruise experience.

Roz

The suggestion to NOT do a short cruise as my intro to cruising is a good one -- I hadn't thought of the "cram 7 days of partying into 3 days" approach and I do want to avoid that.

Thanks for the replies!

From what I've read on these boards the 3 day cruises are more likely to be high-energy party cruises than relaxing ocean liner experiences. If you can move it up to 4 days, I would recommend a Labor Day cruise on the Queen Mary 2. Its a perfect ship for taking a solo cruise. Tons of lectures and activities during the day, or just quiet time (old-style teak loungers to sit and read on deck). I do not know what the single supplement is (I went as a solo, but I booked through a TA and did not know what the regular rate was, so I can't say how much the supplement was), but it could not hurt to check it out. The shorter cruises are not said to be quite as relaxing as the transatlantics, but I'll bet they are still pretty good.

I don't know about cruises on your coast, but in Calif. on say the Elation out of San Diego, the 4 day is actually more expensive than the 5 day cruise. Probably because so many people want to cruise during the weekends. And the earlier you book the lowest price cabin the better your chance of getting a slight upgrade. And I don't know the other cruise lines well enough, but on Carnival I believe the normal solo pricing is 150% of pp pricing. So if a cruise were 100.00 pp for 2, then for 1 person it would be 150.00. Hope this helps.

There actually is a site that posts the best deals for singles for about 90 days out. they do advertise here, so use CruiseCritic link if you see a link to vacations to go (one word). On the site, if you look on the left side there's a link that says Singles Discounts (also Senior, previous cruisers, etc).

I also agree - don't do a 3-day. My first cruise (solo) was a 4-day and it was over way too fast, but did let me know that I enjoyed it... so much that I came home and booked a 7-day for 3 months later :D .

You'll love it! and you'll love the freedom and solitude of going solo!

Nancy

Hi, I wanted to mention Seabourn cruises as a thought. I am also a solo traveler, and frankly, I don't think I'd cruise on another cruise line after having been on two Seabourn cruises. First off, their single supplements are very fair. I can usually get a run of ship cabin (that means you take whatever they have available at time of sailing) for 125%, meaning you pay what one person would pay, and then a quarter supplement on top of that for your fare. Seabourn is an all inclusive ship. No tipping, all drinks and wine and cocktails are included. They also extend invitations to singles to dinner every night (there is no set seating; when the dining room is open, you can dine whenever and with whomever your choose) to a "hosted" table. You dine with one of the officers, or perhaps a guest speaker, or entertainer, and usually seven other passengers. You are invited to a different table every night (and of course, can decline if you choose!) Only about 200 passengers on any given cruise. Also, Seabourn's cabins are all outside, with huge picture windows. (Some have little "french" balconies, but you can't sit outside on them).

Once in a while Seabourn has short cruises, 4 days. Usually they are 7 days and longer. Please be aware though, that their pool area on the ship may not be a selling point for you if you like sunbathing. I prefer the bow of the ship, deck 5, where they have a hot tub and deck chairs. The pool is on deck 7, but set in the back and small, not good for socializing, and doesn't get much sun.

The thing I love about Seabourn is the quiet, the elegance, no crowds, and superlative food and service. It is not a party boat, the passengers tend to be older, very well traveled, and quiet. You might check out the Seabourn board on CruiseCritic, many happy, repeat passengers.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck finding just the right ship!

Jane

Archived