Hubbard Glacier and Alaska Fjord

tinykygal

Husband and I are ready to cruise to Alaska; however, he is unable to take the cruise/land tour due to work obligations. Therefore, we are narrowing down to RCCL 7 N Hubbard Glacier vs. 7 N Alaska Fjord.

I have read the threads and am more confussed than ever.

Can you help me?

Thank you!

Cruise Critic rules!

TinyKyGal

PS. Desire to see the whales! When is the best time?

If the choice is between Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier, I too vote Hubbard Glacier.

My opinion only, consider a whale watch tour, superior for close up extended viewing. If your ship goes to Hoonah (Icy Strait Point), there and Juneau are excellent places for Humpback tours. Orcas are pure chance, and have an EXTENSIVE range in Alaska.

Thank you. Your replys have answered my questions. What is the best time for viewing humpacks? We were in HI in Nov. and were too early for the whales. :(

I will continue searching!

Thanks again!

Tinykygal

Humpbacks are there the entire cruise season. IF going out of Seattle, early May through mid May, has excellent viewing potential with the migration.

I do suggest whale watch tours, if you want close up extended viewing.

For viewing from a cruiseship- you are best to have a front forward viewing and track them from way ahead. A good pair of wide angle binoculars are necessary- I really like my 10x50's. You need the wide field of view, the Alaska waters are vast. Have proper attire, hat and gloves, you don't want to get cold. And be prepared to spend a good deal of time looking.

A ship naturalist can be very valuable with location information. I know likely areas and have had good luck with requesting estimated timeframes from the bridge. I spend most of my sailing time out on deck and have been greatly rewarded, but you will also always see me on the whale watch tour boats. :

Cruise Critic members are the best! You are so polite to answer my questions and offer your pics! Thanks. One more question, please. If money wasn't an option, do you favor Seattle or Van. as embarkation? Seems that there are substantial flight savings leaving from Seattle. Perhaps you have done both.

Comments greatly appreciated.

Cruise Critic members are the best! You are so polite to answer my questions and offer your pics! Thanks. One more question, please. If money wasn't an option, do you favor Seattle or Van. as embarkation? Seems that there are substantial flight savings leaving from Seattle. Perhaps you have done both.

Comments greatly appreciated.

Yes I have done both. I do like sailing Vancouver, just fantastic scenic sailing inside Vancouver Island. Seattle cruises sail outside and it's essentially 2 sea days to consider.

As for cheaper air to Seattle. I most often fly round trip Seattle. (this last trip I flew into Vancouver out of Seattle due to stand by). It is easy to get between the two, if you have an extra day. Transfers- cruise contracted buses, independent bus- Quick Shuttle, Amtrak, one way rental car.

I mostly drive but have done all expect the cruise contracted bus. I like a rental car with the ability to stay the night prior to cruising in Bellingham, then with an early start, I can beat the longer lines and be at Canada Place in about an hour++. With that timeframe, I have time for some Vancouver touring. :) You want downtown Vancouver car rentals, and not Vancouver airport.

Archived