Fishing in Alaskan Ports

Alaska_or_bust

There will be 6 of us going on our first cruise on NCL's Pear leaving Seattle on August 24, 2008. My Husband and Father-in-Law are die-hard fishermen. NCL offers fishing charters in both Juneau and Ketchikan, but none for Skagway. We are scheduled to be in Juneau in the afternoon (8/26 2pm-10pm), Ketchikan in the morning (8/29 6am-1:30pm), and all day in Skagway (8/27 7am-9pm). I have been told that it could take at least 2 hours to get off the ship unless you book an excursion thru the cruise line. If this is true, the fishing time would be very limited, but we don't want a "tourist" fishing trip either. Any suggestions? Also, does anybody know what NCL's policy is on bringing poles/tackle on board the ship?

did the same route , last year on the NCL star. in ketchikan, you can fish right off the "boardwalk", you can rent poles and get your license right there. for a fishing charter, they are right..the better fishing is ketchikan (salmon capital of alaska..according to their sign) and juneau. if you look at a map you will see why, skagway is way up the inlet, above juneau. juneau is closer to open water. you can try the local vendors, look at these websites:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

No it doesn't take 2 hours to get off the ship. I've sailed this itinerary, this year.

Ketchikan is the best for fishing, next Juneau. Skagway would be my last choice.

There are no restrictions bringing fishing gear, (I've seen poles coming on the ship) but won't be allowed any fish. :)

just got back from ketchikan and my husband went halibut fishing with ketchikan charter boats... he had a really great time... they were standing right there when we got off the ship.. they even packed him a lunch!! I recommend them hightly.. they were referred to me from orca enterprises. I would give you the website but i lost all my info.. but if you can find it, talk to carla.. she really took care of us.. the trip was a surprise for my husbands 50th birthday, and hse even made a special sign for him with balloons and everything. cannot say enough !!!

...Ketchikan is the best for fishing, next Juneau. Skagway would be my last choice....

Depends on time of year and what you're fishing for. For early season King Salmon, I agree... go to Ketchikan for your May/June Kings. Right now, we're just beginning our coho(silver salmon) run in Juneau, while Ketchikan's run is nearing completion. For late season salmon fishing, Juneau usually can't be beat. Also, if you're looking for Sockeye salmon try skagway in late July or August.

If you're going fishing for halibut, Ketchikan can be good... about the same as Juneau. Personally, I go to Hoonah, Sitka or Elfin Cove for most of my halibut and rockfish fishing.

Now, if anyone wants to fish fresh water (fly fishing, spinning gear, etc. Think trout...) all the ports will have great fly-out, hike-out, or skiff-out excursions. Big rainbows, cutthroats and dolly varden are all over the place right now.

Oh, and if the die-hard fishermen want sablefish, there's only one port to even consider.... Juneau!

-Case

We fished late Sept 06, Ketchikan was GREAT:D All of us got our limit. Juneau was beautiful but it was a little slow, but if you know fishing one day can be great and the next dead:confused: I've talked with many guides that all say Skagway isn't that great, but I've never fish it. We will be going again this Sept-17 days away-and will be fishing again and can't wait. If it makes my husband happy.....we are all happy:)

Happy cruising,

Pam

Archived