I'm a newbie, sailing Zuiderdam 11/24/07 wine question?

cruisingcouple07

Hi everyone!,

What a great site here, I have learned so much reading the posts. My boyfriend is treating me to a weeklong cruise for my birthday (11/26) on the Zuiderdam. He has booked us in an SC (suite guarantee) and I am soooo excited!. He has never cruised before and I have cruised three times prior but never with HAL. My last cruise was in 1991 so it has been awhile!. We used to bring our alcohol on board (beer, and wine). I see things have changed. What are your suggestions?. We both enjoy relaxing with a drink and we are wondering what you suggest?

Thanks for any help!

I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but I think I can make a stab at part of it.

HAL policy is that you may not bring aboard your own hard liquor or beer, but may bring on as much wine (including champagne), water, and soda as you desire (and can lug). If you bring wine you may drink it in your cabin (you might want to bring your own corkscrew); if you want to bring it to the dining room there's a $15 corkage fee.

For hard liquor you can get a set up for your cabin from the ship. To do this you can order from advance from the HAL website, or you can wait until you're aboard. If you wait you can order from room service or purchase a bottle at any bar.

When sailing from some states there's a state sales tax due, so in those cases you might want to delay your purchase until you're at sea.

Does that help some?

We also did the GTY SC Suite for the Zuiderdam for her OCT 27 sailing! Can not wait! I looked the still available rooms up and actually there is NO SC Suite (aft terrace) available! That means we will get upgraded to a SB or SA...we still would prefer a aft SB, before a SA midship! Will see what we end up with...I let you know!

We also thought about 2 bottles of nice Champagne, 2 white and 4 red to take with us on board. HAL has a wonderful selection of wines, but no good once in a medium price range. For dinner we will get some really good stuff for a high price from the Somelier, but for the Suite we will take some nice, decent but good priced wine with us.

Can purchase couple bottles hard liquor at first port and take it to the room

Ruth & Jim

I am surprised at this info.

Didn't know that you were allowed to purchase liquor ,in port, and bring it back to your room without it being confiscated.

Is this done without trying to hide the bottles?

Thanks

I am surprised at this info.

Didn't know that you were allowed to purchase liquor ,in port, and bring it back to your room without it being confiscated.

Is this done without trying to hide the bottles?

Thanks

It's not HAL's policy to allow hard liquor to be brought aboard. Sometimes it's taken to be returned at disembarkation, sometimes it's not taken.

You take your chances and sometimes you get lucky.

Thanks for info everyone. I am not trying to be cheap but I just have a few favourite wines that I want to have in our room, especially one for my birthday.

I have never done the guarantee before but both of us are really easy going people so it really doesn't matter what part of the ship we are in, we picked it because it doesn't matter to us but I think the back of the ship rooms look incredible (sorry can't remember what the nautical term is :confused: )

If you bring one bottle or two they may let you through. They have never stopped us that way.

If you bring a case they may stop you, It depends on the ship.

Last cruise we purchased 2 cases of Godiza Chocolate Liquor and we had one of the crewmen take it to our room for us.

Ruth & Jim

Archived