pizza and gelato

We made it a mission to have pizza at DaMichele in Naples. If you have seen any travel shows on Naples--Rick Steves, Samantha Brown, Rudy Maxa or Globe Trekker they go get pizza at a place with green and white tile on the wall and a big wood fired oven--that is DaMichele--in the old part of Naples. In the Rick Steves guidebook (and maybe online) he gives very detailed directions on how to find it. Two pizzas (you get a whole one per person) and two drinks (soda and a bottle of water--theres also beer) 10euros total---being the only tourists in the place--priceless!!!!

In Naples we trekked to one pizza place recommended in the Rick Steve's guide and were very disappointed (Pizzeria Trianon). We sat upstairs as suggested - service was horrible, the pizza took a long time and it was very salty. There was a mandatory 15% service charge so we could not even express our displeasure if we wanted to. The prices ranged from 3,90 Euros for a Margherita to 7 euros plus for meat toppings. (Remember, pepperoni in Italy is not the same as it is in America).

We had wonderful gelato in Florence. We just kept an eye out for places that only the locals go to. The drawback is that English isn't widely spoken but if you are armed with an Italian phrasebook, you can't go wrong.

We had surpisingly good gelato in Barcelona too. It's a chain with red signs. We had the gelato in the Barcelonetta store and one on Passeig de Gracia slightly north of Plaza Catalunya.

In Rome, San Crispino near the Trevi fountain has great gelato. We were in Rome for a week last year and this was our favorite, but honestly, it was all pretty good.

For pizza, our favorite was Forno, in Campo dei Fiori.

Florence, Rome , Naples and Palmero are our ports in Italy

Rome.

In Rome in July before and after the cruise. We had read about Fata Morgana and I planned to go there 3 months before we went. We were staying in Parioli which reduced the length of the hike but here is the best gelati I tasted in all the time in Rome.

Fata Morgana at 9 via Lago de Lesina

I had a 5 scoop gelati with whipped cream, what a guts I am. Then we sat in the park in the piazza and took our time eating. (Paula only had a 2 scoop).

Another one was San Crispino at 42 via della Panetteria.

It was HOT HOT HOT when we were in Rome so the gelati almost became our main diet. Always asked for the Limone flavour in first so that was the last flavour I ate and it acted like a sorbet in cleansing the palate after the fattier flavours I got placed at the top.

David

I ate dozens of gelatos throughout the course of the trip but the best one was a strawberry cone from the little kiosk next to the Coliseum. Maybe it was the time of day or the beautiful setting, but I'd pay $100 to have another right now!

Michelle

Alla Zattare

Rio Terra Foscarini, 795

Located right on the Guidecca canal. Wonderful views. This place was perfect for outdoor dining. I had an excellent pizza with eggplant (8.50 Euros), 2 glasses of wine. Total 17 Euros.

Gelato:

Nico's - near the Gesuiti Church on the Zattare

Il Doge - in the Campo Margherita

Monica ;)

Alla Zattare

Rio Terra Foscarini, 795

Located right on the Guidecca canal. Wonderful views. This place was perfect for outdoor dining. I had an excellent pizza with eggplant (8.50 Euros), 2 glasses of wine. Total 17 Euros.

Gelato:

Nico's - near the Gesuiti Church on the Zattare

Il Doge - in the Campo Margherita

Monica ;)

Thank you:)

There's no guarantee, of course, but in general we found that the best gelatti came from shops that had a sign that read "Gelateria Artiginale", which basically means 'traditional hand-made (or 'craft made') ice-cream'.

So look for a sign that says that.

Had gelato at virtually every stop we made – never found a gelato I didn’t like :p Sure wish Dairy Queen would start selling gelato :rolleyes:

Pizza was DWs department, and other than a hole in the wall place in Rome (directly across from a toy store that sells Pinocchio toys) everything was great!

I'm looking for good pizza and gelato in Venice. If anyone has any recommendations that would be great:)

re: Gelato........when you find some.......it will be great.......we have not had any bad Gelato in Italy........:)

Pizza is different.....not like we in the US experience......sometimes it is cold........but still good.......but different......:)

What kind of pepperoni is on Italian pizza? I've heard that it is different too.

Pepperoni means peppers. If you want something like what we call pepperoni, you would ask for "salami." Sausage is "salsiccio" (I think!).

Pizza in Italy is not like the US. The crust is usually quite thin and crisp, and the pizza is topped sparingly, not overloaded with ingredients.

We got back in August from our Mediterranean cruise on Princess with my husband and daughters. This is what we recommend

Venice: Boutique del Gelato has 2 scoops for 1.70 e. That is one of the best prices around for the best gelato. I found out about it from the "Let's Go" books. It isn't too far from St Marks Square either. We did not find good pizza or really any good food in Venice. Check out the pasta selections in the groceries. We found a huge assortment of Barilla pasta in shapes that I have never seen before.

Naples: We tried to find the pizza restaurant called Napoli-Napoli, but gave up in hunger and ate at a place called Tattoria del Cerriglio Pizzeria. We had a good pizza Margherita. We ate outside, but I think the pizza was cooked in a fire stove, cause the crust had a hint of a smokey flavor. The tomato sauce was very bright red, like a watermelon, not like our thick sauce. It was good, and there were mostly italian families there on a sunday. Also in Naples, you didn't ask, but we found a place called "Leopaldo" it is a pastry shop. We went in when we saw all the locals coming out with "presents" The desserts were beautiful, tasty and reasonable. Many varities of canollli. It is so special the way they wrap up the treats. Gold tray,plasic wrap, blue/purple wrap and a purple curling ribbon. "Leopaldo" was straight up the hill from the cruise ship. It was on the right hand side of the street. I haven't ever seen it in a guide book. It should be.

Rome: Near the Pantheon we found a Gelato place that had, no kidding, over 80 flavors of gelato. It was called Gelateria Della Palma. I'm looking at the receipt but can't make out the address. They must have a web site, cause I see that they have one in Rome and NEW YORK!

Hope this helps. I'm kind of partial to the Let's Go books, cause they put the recommended restaurants on maps..

Pepperoni means peppers. If you want something like what we call pepperoni, you would ask for "salami." Sausage is "salsiccio" (I think!).

Thank you cruisemom42:) I'm happy to hear about the sparse toppings and thin crust too.

retrogardener Thank you for all of your info. We'll be so busy in the other ports that we won't have time to find the great restaurants. That pastry shop in Naples sounds especially yummy though. I'll look to see if I can find the Let's Go books too.

Rome: Near the Pantheon we found a Gelato place that had, no kidding, over 80 flavors of gelato. It was called Gelateria Della Palma. I'm looking at the receipt but can't make out the address. They must have a web site, cause I see that they have one in Rome and NEW YORK!

Hope this helps. I'm kind of partial to the Let's Go books, cause they put the recommended restaurants on maps..

http://www.10best.com/Rome,Italy/Voted_Best_of_the_City/Restaurants/?businessID=22232 This web site gives a short desription of Gelateria della Palma and the address. I'll have to check it out when I'm there next month!

Monica :D

http://www.10best.com/Rome,Italy/Voted_Best_of_the_City/Restaurants/?businessID=22232 This web site gives a short desription of Gelateria della Palma and the address. I'll have to check it out when I'm there next month!

Monica :D

Romans themselves have told me that they think the all-time best gelato is at Old Bridge (the sign over the shop is in English, seriously!). If you follow the Vatican wall around on the north side, toward the entrance to the museums, it's across the street. You'll probably see the throngs of Italians in line down the street before you see the sign. Don't worry, the line moves fast!

Archived