michel roux gone, what a difference!!!

amanda blake

I wonder what people expect for quality of food when they are paying $200 to $ 300 per day for room , board and shows on a ship when a Hampton inn now cost $120 a day.

Maybe my expectations are too high but after spending $600 per night including a show, for two, for a small cabin compared to a Hampton Inn for $120 then I would expect the meals to be excellent, since I am left with about $400 for food. The reports of the change in the food quality are not good news for me. The food was the one department that did give Celebrity an edge and I am afraid that Celebrity will find that the passengers will not stand for cost cutting in this area.

yes thank you...I googled and got his name as well...I hope what I send will be well written, with facts and names of the maitre'ds we spoke to ....each one of them said that there are changes since the leaving of Michel Roux and many changes within the culinary staff on the ship....we have been on the Connie three times since last Sept, we did the transatlantic, the southern Carib and now the Baltic...and when they introduced the chefs at the Baked Alaska gala, not one of the chefs was the same....the polish pastry chef is gone..he had a fine knowledge of european pastries...he has been replaced by a pasty chef from India....and the assistant from germany was replaced as well...this new one is from the Phillipines..... cultural differences could also account for the change in flavours....

as I wrote the letter I thought , why didnt I write letters when the food on the Connie was so good...it is as some of you have said, when things are good, you take them for granted..and of course you expect things to be good for the money you pay....

I dont expect any answers to my letter...but just perhaps someone on high may say, hey I am getting too many letters of this kind...lets look into it...

yes I am being naive....

BillP1, I think what the issue is that those who are complaining about the food are regular X cruisers who have come to expect a certain standard, and have noticed recently that that standard has slipped, and the only thing they can point their finger at is the much touted departure of the Roux team and the arrival of the Blau team.

I don't think it has anything to do with what you are paying for the cruise, because FOREVER that was a cruise's selling point - an almost all-inclusive experience compared to what you could pay for individually on land.

But I just thought of something else - many of the complaints have centered on the Baltic cruises...could it be that they simply do not have the provisions, the fresh produce, the good meat...that stocking up in the Mediterranean or the Caribbean or the good old US of A can provide? I can remember being on a Med cruise with Princess years ago, and while the food was good, the milk was this disgusting stuff that they kept at room temperature. But that's how the people in those countries had their milk.

I'd like to see more food reviews from pax who have recently gotten off of Alaskan, Med, and Caribbean cruises to see if their experience was as negative as the Baltic ones have been.

we were on the Constellation in May two years ago to the Baltic and had such a wonderful experience that we sailed again this august to the Baltic...so I cant say it is the region from where the provisions are obtained that could cause this change...the constellation does one more baltic cruise before it does a transatlantic...the pax should be home by sept 14..perhaps we will get some more opinions at that time...

we did the Baltic on the Constellation two years ago and had such a wonderful experience that we did it again this Aug...so I cant say that the difference is due to the region...

the next group to arrive from the Baltic will be on Sept 14, then it does the transatlantic..perhaps then we will get some more opinions...

BillP1, I think what the issue is that those who are complaining about the food are regular X cruisers who have come to expect a certain standard, and have noticed recently that that standard has slipped, and the only thing they can point their finger at is the much touted departure of the Roux team and the arrival of the Blau team.

I don't think it has anything to do with what you are paying for the cruise, because FOREVER that was a cruise's selling point - an almost all-inclusive experience compared to what you could pay for individually on land.

But I just thought of something else - many of the complaints have centered on the Baltic cruises...could it be that they simply do not have the provisions, the fresh produce, the good meat...that stocking up in the Mediterranean or the Caribbean or the good old US of A can provide? I can remember being on a Med cruise with Princess years ago, and while the food was good, the milk was this disgusting stuff that they kept at room temperature. But that's how the people in those countries had their milk.

I'd like to see more food reviews from pax who have recently gotten off of Alaskan, Med, and Caribbean cruises to see if their experience was as negative as the Baltic ones have been.

Hi Warmwinds :)

I agree that in recent years, it has been less expensive to take a cruise than to take a land based vacation of similar quality.

However, years ago, it was just the opposite. When my husband and I took our first cruise during the middle seventies, cruises were considered to be a vacation of a life time because they were so much more expensive than land based ones.

At that time relatively few Americans could afford to take a cruise, while today most people can afford a cruise. Since cruise lines are now attracting a greater segment of the market by keeping their prices relatively low, it appears to be necessary for them to cut corners to do so.

I wonder what people expect for quality of food when they are paying $200 to $ 300 per day for room , board and shows on a ship when a Hampton inn now cost $120 a day.

Quite a bit when the provider includes a maitre 'd, waiter and assistant waiter dressed in formal attire, cloth linens and formal place settings.

It isn't a guy in an apron serving blueplate specials at a counter in a diner.

The old saw about "don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk" applies here.

Les

Quite a bit when the provider includes a maitre 'd, waiter and assistant waiter dressed in formal attire, cloth linens and formal place settings.

The old saw about "don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk" applies here.

Les

Whew!

Exactly right!

Regards

The most common complaint regarding cruise line food--even with upscale ships--is that the food is too bland, sometimes also described as boring, tasteless, forgettable, etc. It is bland for a reason--that's the way most cruise passengers want it, with "most" passengers being mature North Americans. The lines have learned that foods with unusual flavors, spices, ingredients or "looks" are often sent back or not ordered, resulting in significant waste. And while some might miss extra vegetables on the plate, experience over many cruises may have shown Celebrity that most of these veggies are not eaten. If that is the case, I would not consider minimizing waste to be "cutting back," especially if the missing veggies (or whatever) are available on request.

CG, I am with you on this one. I would go for the non-curry option everytime. Chillie is OK on occasion but I thought some Americans like spicey food, if you see what I mean. I go so far as to avoid extra salt unless it is very hot and I have a headache and I avoid sauces, even on salads. No gravy, mayo or ketchup for me.

We ordered and got extra vegetables too.

I think I prefer prepared foods such as pies and stews rather than roasts. One problem with having a pasta buffet was the possible need to drop pasta from the main dining room - lasagne, mousaka, etc. I suppose you might classify my preference as for peasant food rather than the richer haute cuisine. I prefer the latter as a treat and am not used to dining that way upwards of 28 times on a cruise.

I still found that even my bland palate became jaded.

Next time I shall make sure I collect menus and daily sheets as a resource :)

Les

exactly!!!

thinking about the cost going up...i do not agree. with bigger ships that carry more pax the cost per pax should go down...why else would they build larger ships. been siling with celib before rcl purchased and the main reason we like sailing with cel is the food. going out in jan and hope the food is as great as always. hope everyone has a great food and the cruise is terrific.:)

My husband and I took two trips on the Connie last Fall. We loved the ship. When a great bargain came up later, we jumped on it. Unfortunately we were on the NE/Canada "bleach cruise". When no new virus cases were reported, after some days into the trip, the 24 hr. bleaching cut down. I do appreciate the great effort and resulting success to stop the spread, but if you are allergic to chemicals, it was a trial.

We loved the Connie food and the terrific pastries so I'm sad to read of the changes. A fellow passenger told us that all the Connie food comes out of FL and that was why we were not served Maine Lobster.

Jan

When my husband and I took our first cruise during the middle seventies, cruises were considered to be a vacation of a life time because they were so much more expensive than land based ones.

At that time relatively few Americans could afford to take a cruise, while today most people can afford a cruise. Since cruise lines are now attracting a greater segment of the market by keeping their prices relatively low, it appears to be necessary for them to cut corners to do so.

I agree with Sky Sweet. My family started cruising internationally in 1957 so I am celebrating my 5th decade as a cruiser. I booked and sailed on my first cruise in 1979, paying $500 a day for an inside cabin and I was happy to pay it for the luxury, service, and sophistication onboard. To continue cruising, I kept the old car, the old house, and saved my pennies for a nice cruise back when there were few credit cards or balconies available on ships.

In the Wal-Marting of America, we have demanded cheap prices and that is exactly what we have gotten. If I were to identify a trend in the current decade, it is that mass market cruise lines offer cabins for an incredibly low price, knowing that their passengers will be using the spa, drinking, gambling, and booking expensive shore excursions which have a nice profit margin for the cruise line.

I am still amazed to see Mother RCI build two beautiful ships, the Freedom and the Liberty, then throw them into the Caribbean for 7 day-cruises where inevitably the D&D crowd (drunk & disorderly) is happily trashing same. A classic example of "follow the money" on each side.

Ruby

Hi Everyone !

I have been reading this thread with great interest. As we all know, the topic of food is extremely subjective. I am still wondering if the actual food quality has declined, OR... perhaps it is a new head chef onboard the ship, who may not be up to par. Another thought.... perhaps there were some issues obtaining the exact food items that Celebrity typically orders (as the ship was in Europe when these complaints started). Again, it might be none of the above, but just some thoughts.

While I am NOT doubting those who were unhappy, I am hoping this is a short term problem that is specific to Constellation, and is resolved, or will be resolved shortly. I am sailing on Constellation in 2 months. I will be certain to report back my observations, whether it be good, bad, or indifferent.

My husband and I took two trips on the Connie last Fall. We loved the ship. When a great bargain came up later, we jumped on it. Unfortunately we were on the NE/Canada "bleach cruise". When no new virus cases were reported, after some days into the trip, the 24 hr. bleaching cut down. I do appreciate the great effort and resulting success to stop the spread, but if you are allergic to chemicals, it was a trial.

We loved the Connie food and the terrific pastries so I'm sad to read of the changes. A fellow passenger told us that all the Connie food comes out of FL and that was why we were not served Maine Lobster.

Jan

I had heard a few years ago, that most of food supplies, DO come out of Miami. I'm not sure about fresh produce. Celebrity ships their containers to various ports.

The last Baltic cruise doesn't arrive in Dover until the 15th. We are on the Transatlantic, leaving that day (this Sat.), so we won't have a current review of the cuisine situation. If it's not to our liking....we'll make the best of it. There are so many other aspects of cruising with Celebrity that we enjoy, that we'll just roll with it...hopefully this issue will be short-lived, and will be ironed out in the near future.

Karyn

The last Baltic cruise doesn't arrive in Dover until the 15th. We are on the Transatlantic, leaving that day (this Sat.), so we won't have a current review of the cuisine situation. Karyn

We are sailing Constellation in 43 days and are ANXIOUSLY awaiting the reviews from your TransAtlantic Sailing this Saturday. Hopefully they will be good ones.

When I told my husband about the postings of the decline in the food he was very upset. His reaction was: Then why are we going?

Keeping good thoughts and our fingers crossed that Contellation has gotten its act together.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Roux is gone. Celebrity was long overdue, I think, for a menu overhaul.

Like others have said, I believe the changes will take months and months to both fine tune and implement.

My greatest hope is that Celebrity will find a way to latch on to the locally grown movement...and find regular suppliers in their ports to supplement its pantries and refrigerators. Fresh, fresh, fresh.

A new cruiser who asked about herbs, etc...will be disappointed by cruise food. X (and Princess, etc) are no place for foodies. You certainly won't starve as cruise lines sadly seem to opt for quantity over quality. But you won't be dazzled, either. If X was a chain restaurant, it would be Olive Garden...

I expect my food to be edible no matter what I pay. :) If a cruise line can't make food edible, then they need to raise the prices. I'm not pleased to report that I can't agree with speculation that the Constellation is the only ship having issues. We had bad--and I do mean really bad to the point of being inedible--food on our May 25th Millennium Med sailing. We had 10 at our table (4 couples from various areas of the U.S. and a couple from Ireland), and there was a lot of food sent back. We've cruised over 20 times on a number of cruise lines (all the majors and Oceania but no premium lines such as Crystal), and that's the worst food we've ever had on a cruise. We heard many complaints on our sailing, and we all decided that the pastry chef was made at us. ;) The desserts were the horrible, but overall the food was not what we paid for by any measure. Whatever happened, I know we all work hard for our vacation funds, so I hope the situation is under control soon and that the Millennium pasty chef's knickers are no longer in a knot.

Happy travels,

Donna

For those of you about to be on Constellation and who are concerned about the standard of the food - count the people who have posted in this thread that they didn't like it, then those that did, then bear in mind that there were 2000 passengers on any one sailing. Hopefully you will realise there is not too much to worry about. Also, re the sourcing of the food, my waiter on the Constellation, on 18 August sailing, told our table that all the fresh made food is made on the ship, (including all the breads - except that for toast). Only the sugarfree Icecream is ready made. All food, except for, dairy products are shipped to the Ship from the US.

You will get what you pay for. For a lot of people the food on Celebrity is exactly what they expect and prefer. I do not believe that they will increase their per day, per person food budget in the near future.

If you are looking for food as it was years ago on the cruise lines, there are still some serving at that level. Expect to pay $800 to $1500 a day for the all inclusive cruise lines with excellent kitchens.

nydolphin.... of the 2000 who were on board the constellation on our cruise there are very few who are even aware of cruise critic..let alone comment here.....so there is no point doing that count....instead, count how many in general have noticed a difference in celebrity food quality and taste...that is what matters...and of course there are almost 7000 who have viewed this post, so it must have stirred enough interest to matter.....

it is not the number of people who have noticed a difference that matters ...even one dissatisfied customer should count....

this board provides an opportunity for discussion .. it is not a tug of war and how many are on each side....we all benefit by being informed...

Archived