michel roux gone, what a difference!!!

amanda blake

I can't disagree with what you say here but we follow the advice and head for the library as one of our first points of call.

Essentially the books were not classified properly. Books on Islam were in the fiction section. Books that had been returned from the previous cruise were heaped on a table.

Ignoring the poor selection the real problem was lack of a librarian. On other ships the library was closed from 6pm the day before the end of the cruise. There was a last minute drop off. The library was not open all the time, only when the librarian was present. The books were catalogued on the computer. You could place a request etc etc. It could be that US ships run libraries differently.

Don't know I've every been on a ship with a librarian. For the most part, its been "honor program" based meaning the guests are to police themselves. The first couple of days folks from guest services might be there to answer questions and maybe an hour a day there after.

Its up to the guests to re-file the books for the most part.

And as far as the books being dumped on the table from the previous cruise. Previous passengers probably didn't return the books when requested (so the guest relations folks didn't have time to do it) or didn't return them at all, just left them in the stateroom to be dumped by the stateroom attendants.

If you want me to agree that Celebrity (and other cruise lines) don't devote much more than books to the library, I agree. In fact, one of the neat things that has started is people leaving brought on paper backs in the library for others to read. These folks (and I subscribe to it) are great.

But the early snatchers/later returners (if at all) I have no admiration for.

In fact, one of the neat things that has started is people leaving brought on paper backs in the library for others to read. These folks (and I subscribe to it) are great.

Often more recent books too. I usually take 2-3 with me and leave them so I can take another one home with a clear conscience.

I just returned from the 9/1 sailing of the Constellation (and had a wonderful time by the way). It had been several years since I sailed on Celebrity and was a bit disappointed by the food, but soon realized it was in the choices. I don't agree with some of what has been mentioned. I think the presentation was beautiful and the portions were more than adequate. We often asked for extra vegies and our waiter served us from a "family style" plate of broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, etc. There was some inconsistency. One night the lamb was excellent and another night just so so. I thought there was great variety in choices and some interesing options. The pool side grill was wonderful and had the best cookies! I had a delicious salmon burger there -- fresh, not canned. The desserts were inconsistent -- some excellent (creme brulee) and some just o.k. My main complaint is that much of the food needed some spicing up. This may be a reflection of the age group that was on board, but I found myself grabbing the salt shaker more often than usual. I know I sound all over the place, but overall, the food was good, I'd give it a "B" and I only gained two pounds, so I'm not complaining!

Crystal has a librarian which is very nice. Their library is also one of the best I've encountered. Their DVD selection is close to what you'd see at any rental place. And, you are limited to a certain number of books/DVD's a person can sign out at any one time.

As for the food, I asked on our Infinity Alaska cruise what menu differences there was, since Roux left. Our waiter said there were 14 new menu items, but he wasn't specific what they were. I did notice many of the items were basically the same, but maybe with a different twist---a little additional spice here, a change of side dishes there, but I saw nothing that I would call new or different. And yes, I have noticed that portions are much smaller, especially the salads and side vegetables. And, at least for me, I feel X's desserts have always left alot to be desired. I think desserts have been their one very weak spot. I've found their desserts to be quite tasteless, unimaginative and quite honestly, rather boring.

I just returned from the 9/1 sailing of the Constellation (and had a wonderful time by the way). It had been several years since I sailed on Celebrity and was a bit disappointed by the food, but soon realized it was in the choices. I don't agree with some of what has been mentioned. I think the presentation was beautiful and the portions were more than adequate. We often asked for extra vegies and our waiter served us from a "family style" plate of broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, etc. There was some inconsistency. One night the lamb was excellent and another night just so so. I thought there was great variety in choices and some interesing options. The pool side grill was wonderful and had the best cookies! I had a delicious salmon burger there -- fresh, not canned. The desserts were inconsistent -- some excellent (creme brulee) and some just o.k. My main complaint is that much of the food needed some spicing up. This may be a reflection of the age group that was on board, but I found myself grabbing the salt shaker more often than usual. I know I sound all over the place, but overall, the food was good, I'd give it a "B" and I only gained two pounds, so I'm not complaining!

sounds like they cut down on the salt...soup?

the rest sounds pretty much as I described....good at the grill...few veggies for dinner...and the rest, well inconsistent at best...

Maybe my expectations are too high but after spending $600 per night including a show, for two, for a small cabin compared to a Hampton Inn for $120 then I would expect the meals to be excellent, since I am left with about $400 for food. The reports of the change in the food quality are not good news for me. The food was the one department that did give Celebrity an edge and I am afraid that Celebrity will find that the passengers will not stand for cost cutting in this area.

Food in '06 on Galaxy was outstanding. I'm scheduled for Mille Dec 2 TA and hopefully the food will be as good as it was on Galaxy. If not, I'll be very, very disappointed.

We were also on the 9/1 Baltic on Connie. Only our second X sailing so can only compare those (and both were on Connie). While the service overall on the ship has increased 1000% from our first sailing in 2005, I would have to say that we were underwhelmed at best by the food. Our one evening in Ocean Liners was excellent of course. We skipped 5 out of the 14 nights in the dining room but most evenings the food was good -- not excellent but certainly better than Denny's. ;) Would also agree that there was inconsistency. One night steak was tender, another night it was hard to cut. Heard same about lamb chops. And it was hit or miss as to what temperature meat would come out when always ordered "Medium". Would have liked to see more vegies on the plate. We thought their choices were too limited over the entire 14 nights, too.

As for the Seaview Cafe - one word.... UGH!!!!!! We were SO disappolinted this trip. The only things worth eating were sushi, bread, waffles, and ice cream. And we were disappointed in the Spa Cafe this trip too - only 3 choices at lunch and none particularly good. French fries still good at the pool grill. Used room service for breakfast every day except twice and it was usually pretty darn good (got what we ordered and almost always at the proper temperature; bagels overtoasted a few times). Had our butler serve us dinner (off the dining room menu) twice in the cabin and both were excellent. First one was the first formal night and I had the chateaubriand and it was exquisite! Who knew room service could be so good??!!

COFFEE STILL SUCKS ALL OVER THE SHIP!!! (even from Cova)

Caramel creme brulee was served twice and it was excellent. Never saw pie for dessert anywhere. The desserts all start to blend together after 2 weeks - layered cake with spongy bottoms that were soggy. Must say the cookies were all good though.

Still the same cruddy 6 hors d'oevres on a plate offered each evening - we turned them down and stuck with the little tea sandwiches and cookies offered up at 4:00 instead (I think this was a suite perk).

thanks PN...seems like the comments are consistent with what I initially wrote...too bad...I will mourn the wonderful food we ate of years ago...our first Contellation cruise was about 6 years ago...we have done 5 now...and it was still very good 6 months ago...

huge change this time...

still think the reason is cost cutting that would explain chefs that come at a cheaper price, less variety, culinary staff less trained...

just hope they listen to all of us making these suggestions.....we love the connie and celebrity in general ( 15 cruises in all ) but are beginning to look elsewhere..if food is poor then there is no reason to stay loyal..lots of great deals everywhere else....

We were also on the 9/1 Baltic on Connie. Only our second X sailing so can only compare those (and both were on Connie). While the service overall on the ship has increased 1000% from our first sailing in 2005, I would have to say that we were underwhelmed at best by the food. Our one evening in Ocean Liners was excellent of course. We skipped 5 out of the 14 nights in the dining room but most evenings the food was good -- not excellent but certainly better than Denny's. ;) Would also agree that there was inconsistency. One night steak was tender, another night it was hard to cut. Heard same about lamb chops. And it was hit or miss as to what temperature meat would come out when always ordered "Medium". Would have liked to see more vegies on the plate. We thought their choices were too limited over the entire 14 nights, too.

As for the Seaview Cafe - one word.... UGH!!!!!! We were SO disappolinted this trip. The only things worth eating were sushi, bread, waffles, and ice cream. And we were disappointed in the Spa Cafe this trip too - only 3 choices at lunch and none particularly good. French fries still good at the pool grill. Used room service for breakfast every day except twice and it was usually pretty darn good (got what we ordered and almost always at the proper temperature; bagels overtoasted a few times). Had our butler serve us dinner (off the dining room menu) twice in the cabin and both were excellent. First one was the first formal night and I had the chateaubriand and it was exquisite! Who knew room service could be so good??!!

COFFEE STILL SUCKS ALL OVER THE SHIP!!! (even from Cova)

Caramel creme brulee was served twice and it was excellent. Never saw pie for dessert anywhere. The desserts all start to blend together after 2 weeks - layered cake with spongy bottoms that were soggy. Must say the cookies were all good though.

Still the same cruddy 6 hors d'oevres on a plate offered each evening - we turned them down and stuck with the little tea sandwiches and cookies offered up at 4:00 instead (I think this was a suite perk).

Zelker...thank you for your review...we are hopeful that many voices all saying the same thing will bring results....

I was on the Connie for the Baltic cruise from 4th - 18th August. I too was very disappointed with the dinners in the main dining room - I had been expecting much better. The meat was tasteless and the fish like rubber and everything (except the soup) was only luke warm. The desserts all tasted the same - made from gelatine and cream.

We also never had a decent hot cup of tea or coffee.

I went to a cookery demonstration by the Head Chef and he answered questions and said that ALL the meat and fish came from the US and was frozen.

The other complaints I have about this cruise was the standard of entertainment - it was mostly awful.

Also the towels in my cabin were hard (my hands got quite sore from them), smelt of bleach and the bath towels were too small. (My travelling companion in the next door cabin said the same - her hands got sore too).

Well those were my gripes - now to the good things - cabins were kept spotlessly clean. Cabin staff and waiters were excellent.

Ports of call were so interesting.

The ship is quite beautiful with many lovely (and some weird) works of art all over the ship.

yes fenella we found the same things...but just want the food restored to its former glory...the lunches at the aqua spa cafe used to be amazing...we gave it a chance but after a few tries we gave up and came to the realization that the food and its preparation just "aint what it used to be"....

the entertainment is ok...we had seen most of it many times so it isnt fair to comment, except for the broadway style shows...awful, just awful....but we could always to go the disco hang out and enjoy great music....

and yes the ship is beautiful....

Hi,

I just did a review of the Summit 9-7-07 from Seward to Vancouver 7 days on cruise critic. In my opinion the food was not as good as it used to be. If you want steak (Filet etc.) order it medium rare. I like steak medium but it ended up tough and well done. This occured the entire trip.

There was a definate language problem in the dining room and buffet. I hope they realize that if they lower the food quality they will lose alot of past passengers. (My 3rd Celebrity Cruise and 14th overall.) My traveling companion who has never been on a cruise did comment on the food as being much better in the dining room. He also said that he felt the employees were being aggressive for drink orders and other onboard revenue departments. This will not stop me from cruising but I am not to happy with Celebrity. Please do not flame me its just my opinion.

Tim

yes we noticed more hustling for drinks...but that does not bother us...let them make all the money they can on liquor and not cut back on food...after all the liquor is a choice you make...you are not obligated to buy it....

I've been on 7 Celebrity cruises in the past 5 years and I've never noticed this. I usually have to chase a waiter down to get a drink, especially the Martini Bar or Rendevous Lounge before dinner. Even in the theater before a show. Maybe it's just me?

I usually have to chase a waiter down to get a drink, especially the Martini Bar or Rendevous Lounge before dinner. Even in the theater before a show. Maybe it's just me?

No, no, not at all. It all depends on whether you want a drink or not :D .

Our experience 2 or 3 times was indicative of new staff. In the theatre one night the chap mixed up our cards and of course receipts. Another time the girl could not understand our accents so brought Grolsch not Carlsberg, figure that. Then she could not open the bottles.

Those Grolsch bottles CAN be a little tricky - aren't they the ones with that weird metal top?

I never felt hustled for drinks - of course before dinner we usually WOULD have a drink in the Rendezvous or Martini Bar or Cova, but some nights we just wanted to sit and listen to the music, and they would ask once and then leave us alone.

Those Grolsch bottles CAN be a little tricky - aren't they the ones with that weird metal top?

Indeed they are, except she had difficulty getting that little bit if twisted metal into the top of the CARLSBERG bottle.

I guess the glass bottles were the problem as US-wise I guess she was more used to cans although Bud etc are also in bottles. :(

I've been on 7 Celebrity cruises in the past 5 years and I've never noticed this. I usually have to chase a waiter down to get a drink, especially the Martini Bar or Rendevous Lounge before dinner. Even in the theater before a show. Maybe it's just me?

well that is not a problem, let them hustle for drinks...the line has to make some money and we dont mind at all if they make oodles of it on liquor and gambling...so the prices of cruising can stay competitive...but dont mess with MY FOOD!!!

Archived