michel roux gone, what a difference!!!

amanda blake

Hi Anna Maria,

I am not telling Frank about anything on this thread. We have a table all to ourselves and dont want him influenced. Am going with a positive attitude. We go Nov 26th, you will have to email me with your thoughts.

I also want to know from anyone about the Connie's improvements after being dry docked. CC class especially.

Have a nice day,

Daphna

Hi Anna Maria,

I am not telling Frank about anything on this thread. We have a table all to ourselves and dont want him influenced. Am going with a positive attitude. We go Nov 26th, you will have to email me with your thoughts.

I also want to know from anyone about the Connie's improvements after being dry docked. CC class especially.

Have a nice day,

Daphna

Hi Daph,

I did tell my Frank, now he keeps asking me what's the update on the food. I am going with an open mind too. Hopefully whatever the problem was over the summer they have fixed by now. I will definitely let you know as soon as I get back how things are.

I've now sailed twice on Celebrity, and I thought that the food was slightly BETTER last week than last year. I don't know what that means in the bigger picture, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents and hopefully keep people from being too scared.

Just returned from the Med on Galaxy. The food in all the locations, Dining Room, Cafeteria, Pizza Bar etc, were up to the same Celebrity standards we have come to know and love. It occurs to me that whoever the "Excecutive Chef" (or whatever title is bestowed) is, there are outstanding chefs on each ship, who have a professional and personal interest in making sure that each meal that leaves the kitchen is the best possible. This is their establishment and their integrity is at stake. Besides, as great as Michel Roux may be - he certainly cannot take either the blame or credit for the food that is served, only the menu options.

We just returned from the Millennium - Sept 20-23. The food was great! This was our first on the Millennium, and in Europe, but our 8th on Celebrity and 7th on M Class ships. The buffet line seemed the same. But we thought the dining room food was about the best we've had. Some menu items were changed and some the same. Good fish, beef and pasta. They had some great fbeef illets in the dining room one or two nights. Like in the past the best menu nights seemed to have a bunch of dishes we loved while some nights the pickings were slim.

We did eat in the specialty restaurant three times and thought the food there was great too. Only small disappointment was the goat cheese souffle. (Gasp, shudder - horrors upon horrors!). They've changes the recipe a little and while it was very good, I don't think it was quite the dish it was in the past. I'd still order it again (had it two of the three nights)- but there are also several other nice starters to consider.

So as far as I'm concerned the Roux loss is no great loss.

Tom, I feel better and better about our trip in Oct. after reading your post. We eat so carefully during the year, saving up for the two 13-14 day cruises we usually take. Our lobster was tough both Connie trips last year but we are not fond of lobster anyway. We were told the lobster is shipped from Florida. I've been wondering if the Connie lost some crew because of the dry dock and it took awhile before the new crew got up to speed in the food preparation. Thanks again Tom and I will write about our experience also.

Jan

Tom, I feel better and better about our trip in Oct. after reading your post. We eat so carefully during the year, saving up for the two 13-14 day cruises we usually take. Our lobster was tough both Connie trips last year but we are not fond of lobster anyway. We were told the lobster is shipped from Florida. I've been wondering if the Connie lost some crew because of the dry dock and it took awhile before the new crew got up to speed in the food preparation. Thanks again Tom and I will write about our experience also.

Jan

We went to the Specialty restuarant on the last formal night and had a nice lobster and shrimp dish (similar to the lobster and scallops dish I think). It was fantastic - might want to consider this!

how are the pastries? was there a sailaway cake as in the past?

how about the aquaspa cafe? did the whole wheat pasta have pine nuts in it again?

my letters went out a week ago to both CEO's....I know others have written as well...lets hope all this helps....

I hope to see a huge improvement...we sail again in Feb...and hope you are right maybe the staff changes had something to do with it...like the pastry cheff from Poland may be back instead of one from India...he really had no clue about european pastries....

but I have said all this before....

Is the food and or menus different in Europe then in the Caribbean? Are they different from the Baltic cruise to the Med cruise?

Hi tcoktail :)

We were on Constellation twice during 2006 for a Baltic Cruise during the summer and a Caribbean Cruise later in the year. The food on our Caribbean Cruise was good, but it was significantly better on our Baltic one.

We were on a New England/Canada and a Carribean cruise on the Connie last year. The menu and quality of the food were the same on our cruises. I think that the same menu appeared on the same day of the week each time also. I loved the Cova Cafe pastries. I skipped dessert in the dining room to have these pastries twice a day. I think the croissants in the dining room for breakfast were wonderful too. They may have been the same in the Seaside Grill but on vacation I like to be served at a table.

Jan

We were on the Mercury to Alaska last week - and was somewhat disappointed with the quality and selection of the food. We had cruised on this very ship in 2004 and found the food amazing then. This time the lobster was like rubber, and most selections were just so-so.

You know, I just don't ever have high hopes for lobster tails served banquet-style, which is basically how the dining rooms on board ships work. I, too, was on Mercury last week. I ordered the prime rib with a lobster tail on the side (just to get a little taste).

But I would suspect if you are on an M-class ship with a specialty restaurant, the lobster tails would be just fine, as they are cooked to order.

I'm more of a crab legs girl anyway.

But I would suspect if you are on an M-class ship with a specialty restaurant, the lobster tails would be just fine, as they are cooked to order.

I don't believe they have lobster tails in the specialty restaurants (unless it's a recent addition to the menu). They had a lobster soup and a lobster/scallop pasta dish, but no lobster tail.

Is the food and or menus different in Europe then in the Caribbean? Are they different from the Baltic cruise to the Med cruise?

we did the baltic on the Constellation two years ago...the food was delicious...pastries amazing...aqua spa cafe to die for...

this august...so much of it was not edible...

so the reason for the difference is not in the region but elsewhere...that is what we are trying to uncover here...

what do those on the transatlantic say about the food? they should be back soon...have looked at the thread being posted from the ship, but have not seen anything about our topic...

They are raving about the food and service.

Archived