Past Sensation cruisers-Grand Cayman tender question??

mnhenderson

I posted this on the Grand Cayman board,but I thoughtI might get a quicker response here.We are sailing on the Sensation on October 11th.We have booked the short excursion with Captain Marvins.Our meeting time is 8:00am Grand Cayman time.I understand that means 9:00 am ship time. Has anyone had any touble getting an early tender off the ship.I know sometimes they get funny about folks that have booked on their own.I just wondered what others had encountered.I think we are supposed to dock at 7:00am(ships time).Thanks for the input. Mariann

I think that historically the ship time is adjusted from zone to zone so that it is the same as the local time. Maybe not, but I think so. When we booked independently and needed to disembark on an early tender, we just told them why we needed to be off early and there was no problem. You might ask the front desk the day before just to be sure things are in order. Good luck.

I think that historically the ship time is adjusted from zone to zone so that it is the same as the local time. Maybe not, but I think so. When we booked independently and needed to disembark on an early tender, we just told them why we needed to be off early and there was no problem. You might ask the front desk the day before just to be sure things are in order. Good luck.

On Carnival, you'll stay on ship's time, which is whatever time zone the ship is in when it sails.

And you ought not to have any problems getting an early tender UNLESS the customs/immigration officials in Grand Cayman for some unknown reason delay it. Which, while not an everyday occurrence, does happen occasionally.

Thanks Beffy1167 for setting me straight. I did not know that. I've been cruising almost exclusively with Holland America for the last few years and they make an announcement on board when we are going to change time zones and I THINK they change the ships clocks, but I may be wrong. Why am I foggy about this after 40 years of cruising???

Oh well !

I ust got off the 8/7 Sensation and did the Capt marvin 21/2 hour trip. We slipped onto the first tender out (snuck by everyone by using the elevator). It was not necessary since that tender reached shore at 6:30 cayman time. Capt marvin is a two block walk making a left from the pier. They were already open,we paid our money, and hung out for an hour before we got started. After you get back time is a bit short but we still had tme to hit a few shops. If you wait for the last minute the line is HUGE but just 15-20 minutes make all the difference. By the way the trip was great...I am still waiting for my DVD

Just did the Aug. 21st Sensation cruise. The tender boats seemed to be bringing people from the Imagination onto land before we set into the shelf to drop anchor. (the anchor is dropped into a shelf 80 feet deep, but the back half of the ship sits atop a 6,000 foot drop!!) So I would tend to think that getting an early tender is possible, though unnecessary. But be warned, the line for re-entry to the ship is over 1,000 feet long if you show up at the last minute to leave G.C.

FloridaDiver, I read quite a few posts of Sensation's coffee being horrendous, so I was cautious when I sipped my first cup. Perhaps Carnival has been reading these boards and changed brands of coffee because it was definately drinkable as I had several cups every morning....even had a pot delivered to my suite so I could enjoy it on my balcony.

Did you have a cat 11 or 12? We're going Oct 11th in a 12. Just curious on the size of the balcony, bathroom, etc.

Glad you had a good time. I'm also looking forward to coffee on the balcony in the morning.

Barb

BDL,

We had the Cat. 11. Balcony wasn't the largest, but was very adequate for 4-5 people to stand on when we set sail. The bathroom was a nice size with a full tub/shower and more than enough room to turn around in along with a removeable showerhead. One problem with the shower though, if you're 6'3" or taller, you'll have to crouch a little as there isn't much head room. I'm 6'2" and if I stood on my tiptoes my head hit the ceiling. As a matter of fact, the 1 complaint I had was that our showerhead must've been stripped and could not set in a particular position. It would just fire straight at the wall and get the bathroom floor all wet. I told the info desk about AND my room steward and nothing was done about it. It can adjust about 4 feet from top to bottom, so I'd just set it low to keep it within the confines of the tub and would just remove it from the clasp when I got in. Hopefully, you won't have this minor setback. :-)

Jerseyj24...sure glad they stocked some better coffee. I luv the stuff and that was hard to take. I drink it black so no way to hide the taste. You are right about that return line. We got there about a half hour before the last tender and waited about 20 mins. As we boarded the tender I looked back to see the line stretched down the street and around to the next pier. YIKES!!. We will likely take the Miracle next summer to we will see GC again!It sure is nice that Carnival keeps bringing new ships to Tampa so I don't have to travel to do different ships!!

Did you have a cat 11 or 12? We're going Oct 11th in a 12. Just curious on the size of the balcony, bathroom, etc.

Glad you had a good time. I'm also looking forward to coffee on the balcony in the morning.

Barb

Barb,where have you been?We miss you on our rollcall thread.We have set up a meeting time of 1/2 hour after the lifeboat drill at the vollyball court(on the sport deck).Please come over and visit us on the roll call!! :) We are usually on the front page just scroll down and find us. Mariann

I ust got off the 8/7 Sensation and did the Capt marvin 21/2 hour trip. We slipped onto the first tender out (snuck by everyone by using the elevator). It was not necessary since that tender reached shore at 6:30 cayman time. Capt marvin is a two block walk making a left from the pier.

Ditto, we had a great time, last November

• 4 years later...
Just did the Aug. 21st Sensation cruise. The tender boats seemed to be bringing people from the Imagination onto land before we set into the shelf to drop anchor. (the anchor is dropped into a shelf 80 feet deep, but the back half of the ship sits atop a 6,000 foot drop!!) So I would tend to think that getting an early tender is possible, though unnecessary. But be warned, the line for re-entry to the ship is over 1,000 feet long if you show up at the last minute to leave G.C.

FloridaDiver, I read quite a few posts of Sensation's coffee being horrendous, so I was cautious when I sipped my first cup. Perhaps Carnival has been reading these boards and changed brands of coffee because it was definately drinkable as I had several cups every morning....even had a pot delivered to my suite so I could enjoy it on my balcony.

Sorry folks, had to do this. Had time to kill and wanted to see how far back I could read my old posts.:) Funny thing is, I didn't take heed to my own advice here. Just off the Liberty last month and waited until the last minute to tender back to the ship from Grand Cayman.:o:p

Archived