Where do we catch the $12 round trip bus to Mendenhall Glacier?

ttadpole

Hello,

I have read threads on the Mendenhall Glacier and have seen that people catch a $12 roundtrip bus/shuttle to it - where is this bus/shuttle ticket office located? Is this something we would reserve before we get to Juneau or is there walk up service available?

Make sure you get on the BRIGHT icy BABY blue bus - with the slightly nutty driver! Then you'll know you're on the right bus! Very easy to find/see, but there are lots of dark blue buses that are marked Mendenhall, too, so it's a little bit confusing. Those are the public buses that stop short of Mendenhall. Didn't see any bears, but DID walk to the waterfall...fun!

Make sure you get on the BRIGHT icy BABY blue bus - with the slightly nutty driver! Then you'll know you're on the right bus! Very easy to find/see, but there are lots of dark blue buses that are marked Mendenhall, too, so it's a little bit confusing. Those are the public buses that stop short of Mendenhall. Didn't see any bears, but DID walk to the waterfall...fun!

There are several companies that operate the Mendenhall glacier shuttles from the same parking lot near the tram. I am 99% sure that the public buses stop in the same parking lot as the shuttle buses since I took a public bus to the Mendenhall Valley last month. The public buses require payment as you enter the bus, the shuttle buses require a coupon/receipt that you purchased at one of the little booths. It would be very hard to confuse the two.

The public buses are labeled with number 3 or 4 (the route number) and "Mendenhall Valley" as I recall. They cost $1.50 but as was mentioned, only go to within about a mile of the visitor center.

JOhn

There are several companies that operate the Mendenhall glacier shuttles from the same parking lot near the tram. I am 99% sure that the public buses stop in the same parking lot as the shuttle buses since I took a public bus to the Mendenhall Valley last month. The public buses require payment as you enter the bus, the shuttle buses require a coupon/receipt that you purchased at one of the little booths. It would be very hard to confuse the two.

The public buses are labeled with number 3 or 4 (the route number) and "Mendenhall Valley" as I recall. They cost $1.50 but as was mentioned, only go to within about a mile of the visitor center.

JOhn

The city bus picks up on Franklin, and does not come down to the tram. The stop is at a bus shelter about a 1/2 block down from the Red Dog, across the street. Where did you pick up the bus, since you post a "99%" sure comment???

http://www.juneau.org/pubworks/captrans/map/juneau.php

The city bus picks up on Franklin, and does not come down to the tram. The stop is at a bus shelter about a 1/2 block down from the Red Dog, across the street. Where did you pick up the bus, since you post a "99%" sure comment???

http://www.juneau.org/pubworks/captrans/map/juneau.php

Oops! I meant to type "99% sure the public buses DON'T stop in the same parking lot...". My typo, thanks for catching it. The public bus stop is on Franklin Street or near the parking garage - or better yet, the Main St. bus stop since buses head toward the valley usually stop at the Main St. stop for 10-15 minutes before proceeding further.

The public buses require payment as you enter the bus, the shuttle buses require a coupon/receipt that you purchased at one of the little booths. It would be very hard to confuse the two.

JOhn

I'm not sure if this is always the case, but I took the Mendenhall Glacier Express (shuttle) and didn't pre-purchase a coupon. I just got on the bus right after he pulled up, and paid on the bus. The only thing that was the least little bit confusing was the return trip. You need to meet the bus where it drops you off. There are other make-shift shelters in the parking lot near the visitors center, but those are for tour bus pickups (e.g., Princess' shuttle bus).

We took a tour on the economy for $22 each with Mighty Great Tours (mgttours.com) that included the glacier and other sights. It does not include $3 to get into the visitor's center but that fee was almost "voluntary." A lot of people just walked in there and nothing was said. Picked us up at the dock. Well worth the extra $10 to get a great overview of Juneau.

Tucker in Texas

Th the shuttle buses require a coupon/receipt that you purchased at one of the little booths. It would be very hard to confuse the two.

As posted above, you do not need to prepurchase a "coupon". I too have just paid the driver.

Archived