remember to pack list

felder01

What is this?! I Googled and it asked if I meant "polyform".

'Cause if it's something I need to pack I'd like to know what it is first! :p ;)

I think what is meant is "polysporin". Polysporin and Neosporin are topical antibiotic creams for cuts, etc.

I promise to cross-check and integrate any new material from individual posts on this thread plus the extensive packing list... but in the meantime, below is my current pre-cruise packing list. It has MANY things on it which I do not bring myself -- I have compiled the list from multiple readings of CC threads on the subject.

For all you list-lovers out there, I do not have clothes on my list, as I prefer to create a grid of the days of the cruise, broken into morning, swim/gym, day, dinner, evening, and sleep -- and then fill them in with outfits. I have found this results in packing far FEWER clothes than a simple checklist of "x pants, x t-shirts, x dresses" etc. -- also allows me to select accessories that will go with various outfits, and (at least on Princess cruises) plan to re-wear outfits after I do laundry (I guess you could do that on RC if you're willing to pay for cleaning...)

Here it is:

Packing List of those “other” things you should bring:

Travel Paperwork/Personal IDs/

• E-ticket / boarding passes for the airlines
  • Confirmation emails from car rental, hotel and private excursions
  • Cruise documents including completed boarding papers, immigration papers, etc.
  • Printouts of any emails or letters re: OBCs, tour reservations, etc. (to prevent problems)
  • Passport and any required travel visas (keep copy separately)
  • Leave copy of itinerary / phone numbers with relatives/friends
  • Self-sticking address labels for airline/cruise luggage tags (saves time over filling them in)
  • Make a copy of the contents of your wallet (cards, etc.) and keep separately
  • Waterproof wallet (to keep money with you at beach and water sports)
  • Cash (with plenty of ones & fives for tipping) (some people like $2 bills and dollar coins, too)
  • Credit cards (list account and telephone numbers in case of loss and pack separately)
  • Call Credit Card Companies in advance to advise of shipboard/foreign charges
  • Watch (bring a waterproof one if you’ll be doing water sports)
  • Business/Social Cards (with phone number and email address) for your new friends!
  • Addresses of those you may want to send a postcard to
  • Hi-lighter (can select things on the Daily Schedule to do) and other pens for filling in forms
  • Post-it notes to leave notes for each other, room steward, etc.
  • Lanyard to hang ID (or get one onboard; stores will punch hole in your card, or bring plastic pouch)
  • Local gifts for CC gift exchange, or for cruise staff (steward, etc.) - nice touch in addition to tip
  • Port books/maps, or printouts of internet research on ports of call visited during cruise

Electronics/Electrical Equipment/Entertainment

• Cell phone & charger (and walkie-talkies if you’ve got ‘em)
  • Call cell phone company in advance to find out about overseas/roaming charges/service.
  • Laptop, charger & media reader for camera disks
  • Camera, extra batteries or charger, film or digital media
  • Disposable camera / disposable underwater camera
  • Portable DVD player / CD player / radio / Gameboy / PSP / iPods, speakers, etc. + chargers/batteries
  • Books & magazines, crosswords & sudoku, needlework, cards, travel games, etc.
  • Clock with lighted display & battery backup
  • Flashlight / Night light / mini-reading lamp / touchlight
  • Binoculars (especially if you have a balcony)
  • Extension cord or power strip (to plug in all that other stuff!!!)

Clothing/Shoes/Bags/Accessories

• Hat or visor (+ hat clips/cords)
  • Sunglasses (+ cords)
  • Umbrella & poncho or rainjacket
  • Sweater/shawl for chilly dining room
  • Water shoes, flip-flops
  • Swim goggles (snorkel gear, if you’ve got it)
  • Water bottle + carrier / insulated mug
  • Beach bag / fanny pack / mini-backpack (for shore excursions)
  • Small collapsible cooler for keeping drinks cool at the beach
  • Extra folding bag for return packing with souvenirs! (or pack two suitcases inside each other) + bubble wrap for delicate objects
  • Over-the-door shoe organizer w/clear pockets (for bathroom stuff) + plastic suction hooks

Household / Cabin / Food Items

• Safety pins / sewing kit (w/small scissors) / Scotch tape / fun-tak
  • Duct tape (recently used it to repair a broken suitcase)
  • bungee cord (to hold open balcony doors or use as extra drying cord)
  • clothespins
  • Coil water boiler / drip coffee filter & cones + coffee (if you just gotta have your own…)
  • Snacks & water / soda / wine for in-cabin consumption (can re-use water bottles onboard)
  • Ziploc bags (all sizes)
  • Pop-up mesh laundry hamper (or use pillowcases)
  • Some people like to bring their own pillow! (or at least pillowcase)
  • Extra (wire) hangers; multi-skirt/pant hangers
  • Door/cabin decorations (if you’re so inclined…) (cruise critic magnet, anyone?)
  • For transporting food and drinks from buffet to your cabin and/or storing juice in room: plastic tray, locking covered dishes, plastic covered pitcher and/or large (insulated) travel mugs.
  • Bubbles to blow for sailaway!

Medical/Health/Personal Care/Travel Stuff

• Prescription medication in original containers
  • Extra prescription eyeglasses and/or contact lenses
  • Sunscreen (pack lots -- it’s sure to be cheaper than onboard or in port) + sunburn coolers
  • First Aid Kit (Bandaids, Bactine/Neosporin/hydrocortisone, Aspirin/Tylenol/Advil, vitamins, hand sanitizer, Dramamine, Tums/Pepto/Immodium, hydrogen peroxide, etc.)
  • Moleskin/footpads/baby powder/ache-relieving gel (for those sore feet…)
  • Febreeze or other air freshener / PLUG-IN air freshener (with fan)
  • Wrinkle-release spray (or travel steamer; DO NOT pack an iron – illegal, and there’s one in the laundry room on Princess anyway).
  • Lysol or other cleaning wipes
  • Antibacterial/antiviral gel/wipes
  • Airborne / Pepto / other disease prevention meds
  • Travel neck pillow / earplugs / eyeshade for sleeping + soft “airplane” socks
  • Woolite / Tide-to-go / laundry supplies (if there is self-service laundry)
  • Insect repellant / Sting-eze or Caladryl

Most important to bring: "THE ATTITUDE TO ENJOY IT ALL"

After all that you still have clothes to pack!

(And for those with kids… even more and more lists of “needed items” I’m sure)

AND HERE'S MY FAVORITE CC RESPONSE AFTER I POSTED THIS ONCE:

You don't need all this stuff just find out who in your roll call is an over-packer and call them and "borrow" what you need. They will feel smart and useful and your back won't be breaking hauling around all taht luggage! See this way everyone feels good at the end of the day.

Quick questions...

~Empressofpurple....grrreat list!!

1-What are hat clips? (maybe Im just having a blonde moment? Cant

fathom what they are)

2- We're a family of 4 with approx. 12 pcs of luggage TOTAL.

Love the "beach cooler" idea, but tell me, if you have the lil pop-up cooler..how do you keep stuff cold without having a freezer to freeze the cooler-packs?

(I guess you can have your room steward load the cooler with ice?? But errr. then it will melt into water inside??) Do like the idea tho....just wondering if anyone can shed some light from experience...

Happy Sailings,

CruiseDivaNJ

Deodorant!

On our first cruise both my sister and I thought the other one packed deodorant and when we unpack neither one of us had. We could not find one spray can or roll-on deodorant to be sold on the whole ship. We are still laughing at our purchase of very expensive perfume that we bought in place its place. Thank goodness that we know enough to use perfume sparingly. We finally found a shop in Costa Maya that sold Secret but it was 4 times the price as back home.

Guess what is the first thing that goes in our luggage now? Yes, you guessed it - d e o d o r a n t !

Hey CruiseDiva - I think this is the post I picked up "hat clips" from:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=440566&page=3&highlight=hat+clips

Check it out (I had never heard of them either). There are plenty of things on my list that I have there from others, not for myself (it's just as complete as I can make it).

I've never done the beach cooler thing (on a cruise) myself... but we do have a small cooler we got as a gift from our Disney cruise (to make up for some problem or other, I forget what) and I use it a lot for local beach outings with the kids... and I just stop at a grocery store and buy a bag of ice to fill it, never use those cooler packs, so a bag of water is no problem for me! (I really should bring this on a cruise, so small and easy to pack, and would be a great help keeping things cool on long hot beach breaks... great idea to pack it with ice from your room steward, then can buy cold drinks onshore and drink them slowly, keeping them on ice!

Thanks to Cruise Lover's comment, I am adding a "toiletries" section to my own "other things to pack" list (I never did one before because it's different for men, women, older, younger, kids, etc.) -- but lordy, I would HATE to be stuck onboard a cruise with no deodorant!! (I may even at that critical item to the "Personal Care" section as well -- can't hurt to have it twice!!)

I personally have never forgot these... But Brittney Spears has....

Underwear!

Okay, so we're going on a 7 day So Carib AOS out of San Juan on Sun, 5/6. Flying all day on Sat, leaving SFO at 6 am, staying at an airport hotel on Fri nite. I pack on Thurs & work all day Fri then pick up sweetie & head for airport hotel.

Thurs night as I'm packing my huge WARDROBE rolling garment bag I pack the snorkel gear, tuxedo, suit, shirts, trousers, shorts, swim suit, socks, medications and first aid, books, tickets and almost done when .....doorbell rings. It's oldest son and we proceed out to dinner & then return to watch on TV the Golden State Warriors eliminate the Dallas Mavericks in the biggest upset in the history of pro basketball. Now time for bed. Guess I packed everything?

Flash forward to next eve 10 pm at airport hotel when I bolt upright in bed

& say d--n I forgot my underwear. Get out of bed & check bag. Oops. Drive home 1 hr each way? No. Too late for mall in SF.

Arrive in San Juan Sat night check in at Marriott. Big time Sat night in San Juan? $40 roundtrip cabfare to SEARS at mall to purchase underwear, then dinner at hotel.

I'll never do that again!

To add to the Pre-Cruise "at home" items, turn off your residential water. Last cruise we came home to a busted pipe and 3" of water in our master bathroom. We have learned the hard way!

I've heard of that happening more than once. Also need to stop mail and paper and water house plants.

On our last cruise, we forgot the battery charger for the Kodak digital camera. The battery in the camera had barely enough for 1 day before it conked out. The only pics we ended up with were ones from the cell phone (whose charger we had) and a few copies our tablemates sent us. We did the formal portraits too. I was frantically running around looking for someone else with the same camera but no one had one so I could borrow their charger.

Hey CruiseDiva - I think this is the post I picked up "hat clips" from:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=440566&page=3&highlight=hat+clips

Check it out (I had never heard of them either). There are plenty of things on my list that I have there from others, not for myself (it's just as complete as I can make it).

Ok, call it a blonde moment, but this is what I read, lol

Hat clips. It can be very windy when tendering or just being on deck. Never lose your hat over the side again. These are two alligator clips with a small length of cord between them that clip your hat to your shirt.

And....now I am even more confused, lmao because Ive never heard of Alligator clips...??? The visual is making me laugh! LOL Cute! (maybe the hat is too big to begin with?)

On our last cruise, we forgot the battery charger for the Kodak digital camera. The battery in the camera had barely enough for 1 day before it conked out. The only pics we ended up with were ones from the cell phone (whose charger we had) and a few copies our tablemates sent us. We did the formal portraits too. I was frantically running around looking for someone else with the same camera but no one had one so I could borrow their charger.

A couple of years back we forgot the charger while on Christmas at WDW...not a cruise but still we forgot something. DD really wanted to get the camera for herself and had been given cash by one grandma before we left...so she bought that camera and we bought the newer version to get a charger...did so via internet...then went circled parking lot at Best Buy 45 minutes away from WDW property hotel where we were staying...1/2-3/4 hour to go get in line for already paid item and get back out to car...DW and DD stayed in car so it would go more quickly...total time spent dealing with forgotten charger aprox 4hrs...and $350+/- for new camera with higher resolution to get charger... Glad it happened on land, because we'd have been at sea if on a cruise and no quick trip to Best Buy...

I think the thing I would want to make sure I have with me:

• US Passport
  • Credit Card for anything we forget
  • Claratin - D....rough if I forget that
  • DW
  • DD (Thinking about home alone...):eek:

One thing to add for the ladies - the feminine product of your choice. The ships have very little to choose from and they are expensive.

One thing I do is put my over the door shoe organizer on my bathroom door about a week before we leave. As we use items that week we put them in the pockets. It makes it easier to bring anything we would need. When packing I use gallon sized ziploc bags and put like items together. The organizer packs flat on the top of the suitcase.

It is important to call you credit card company, to let them know that you will be out of the country. When you go to use your credit card, even in a different state, sometimes they will deny the charges, thinking the card is stolen.

I've had this happen to me on the ship.

Thing you DEF need:

1. Formal Wear

2. Camera AND Video Camera

3. Extra film, batteries, and tapes.

4. Toothbrush!

5. Deodorant (Ships isnt that good :-P)

6. Walkie Talkies (GREAT in groups)

7. EXTRA socks

8. Snorkeling Gear

9. Bathing Suit

10. SUNSCREEN OR DIE!

11. Pepto and Advil. Dramamine if your prone to motion sickness :(

12. A BACK PACK!!! DO NOT FORGET THIS!

13. A camel back for water.

14. Your own shampoo.

15. Nice pair of slip on sandles.

16. SUNGLASSES

17. A razor

18. Plenty of spending cash.

19. A waist wallet, in Jamaica especially.

AND 20. Your fun side because no one likes a lumpy frumpy cruiser!

Ok, call it a blonde moment, but this is what I read, lol

Hat clips. It can be very windy when tendering or just being on deck. Never lose your hat over the side again. These are two alligator clips with a small length of cord between them that clip your hat to your shirt.

And....now I am even more confused, lmao because Ive never heard of Alligator clips...??? The visual is making me laugh! LOL Cute! (maybe the hat is too big to begin with?)

Just think of an alligators jaws or if you are a child of the 60's a roach clip.

I have been adding to this list for years

Before you Leave:

___Unplug electrical appliances such as computers, microwaves & TV's

___Arrange for Pet care & plant care

___Stop the mail and paper

___Use timers to make the house lived in for radios and lights

___Lock windows, doors and garage

___Tell your close neighbors that your leaving.

___Close the curtains and Blinds

___Remove perishables from fridge

___Empty the trash cans in the house

___Wash the dishes

___Check your spare tire and jack

___Check oil level coolant and tire pressure

___Fill windshield fluid

___Pack a First Aid kit

The Basics:

___Cruise tickets

___Flight tickets

___Hotel vouchers

___Health Insurance Card

___Luggage Tags for Cruise

___Drivers License & additional ID

___Passports

___Pens/Pencil

___Maps

___Address Book

___Money belt

___Tote bag

___Wallet with cash

___Travelrs Checks

___Credit Cards

___Phone Cards

___ATM Debit card

___Emergency contact info

___Cell phone & charger

___PDA & charger

___Laptop

___Camera

___Underwater camera

___Video camera & charger

___film

___Extra memory cards

___IPOD & headphones

___extra batteries

___watch

Her stuff

___Bras

___Panties

___Jacket & sweatshirt

___Nightgown

___PJ's & sleepwear

___Robe

Footwear

___Shoes

___Sandals

___Sneakers

___Socks

___Slippers

___Pool shoes

___Evening shoes

Daytime

___Bathing suits

___Cover-ups

___Excercise shorts & tops

___Casual shorts & skirts

___Casual tops

___Belts

___Sun hats/visors

___Jeans

___Pocketbook / tote bag

Evening

___Evening purse

___Dress slacks & tops

___Evening gowns/dresses

___Stockings

___Slips/ Undergarments

His stuff

___Underwear

___Socks

___Jacket & Sweatshirt

___Shoes

___Sneakers

___Sandals & slippers

___Bathing suit

___Casual Shorts

___Exercise shorts

___Tank tops / t shirts

___Casual shirts

___Jeans

___Golf /polo shirts

___PJ's

___Tux or suit

___Dress shirts

___Dress slacks

___Dress shoes & socks

___Ties& bow tie

___Cumberbund

___Vest & cuff links

___Belts & suspenders

Kids stuff

___Light weight stroller

___Diapers & wipes

___Formula

___Night light

___Toys, books, & pool toys

___Wings for swimmers

___Swimmers ear drops

___Ear plugs

___Bottles & brushes

___Anbesol

___Pacifiers

___Stuffed animals

___Shorts & tops for daytime

___Long pants

___Sweatshirts

___Evening outfits

___Socks

___Underwear

___Sandals

___Sneakers

___Dress shoes

___Bathrobe

___PJ's

___Hair clips & ponytail bands

___CD player & CD's

Personal

___Chapstick

___Deodorant

___Mosturizer

___Hair brush /comb

___Hair clips /curlers

___Hair dryer

___Curling iron

___Hair styling products

___Hair accessories

___Makeup & remover

___Cotton balls & Qtips

___Floss

___Ear plugs

___Shampoo & conditioner

___Toothbrush & toothpaste

___Contact lenses & solution

___Perfume & cologne

___SKin care products

___Antibacterial hand cleanser

___Razor & blades

___Electric razor

___Shaving cream

___Aftershave

___Mouthwash

___Hankerchiefs

CABIN ITEMS

___Nightlite or small flashlight

___Travel Alarm clock

___Extension cord

___Post it notes for cabin attendant or family

___Bungee cord

___PLastic shoe bag

___Air freshner

___Smokeless ashtray

MEDICINES

___Prescription meds

___Over the counter meds

___Vitamins

___Sinus/Allergy Meds

___Framamine or Bonine

___Tums

___Gas X

___Tylenhol / Advil / Aspirin

___Vaseline

___Cortisone

___Cough drops

___Eye drops

___Sore throat spray

___Aloe Vera gel

___Sea sickness wristbands

SECURITY CHECKED ITEMS

___Sewing kit

___Needle

___Tweezers

___Nail file & clippers

___Razor & blades

___Small scissors

MISC:

___Duct tape

___Band aids

___Sun Screen

___Bug Repellent

___Reading Material

___Large mailing envelope for photos

___Return address labels

___Small spray bottle for cooling off

___Refillable insulated water bottle

___Hand held mirror

___Glasses

___Bobby pins

___Shower caps

___Watch

___Jewelry

___Rain coat

___Business cards

___Binocular

___Swim goggles

___Zip lock bags

___Extra foldable bags

___Stain stick

How many suitcases do ya'll pack? That's an extensive list -- thanks for sharing! :D

Don't forget the birth control people!!! Very, very important!!!

Lol, that reminds me of a Disney Cruise Line commercial from a couple of years ago. A woman, her young daughter, and baby are on an elevator. The little girl is telling someone all about their vacation last year on a Disney cruise ship, saying about all the fun she had. Then she points at the baby and says, "And this is my little brother. Mommy calls him our little souvinier." :rolleyes:

Archived