Leaving this Sunday...Birth Certificate Question

We are leaving this Sunday, 9/9 on the Freedom. My SIL's birth certificate does not have a raised seal but is certified. The RCI website states "In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required. Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth (except for new borns) are not acceptable."

Do you think she will be okay with her birth certificate and marriage license that does have a raised seal? Our TA states your birth certificate must have a raised seal but RCI rules do not. What do you think? This is my SIL's first cruise and I would hate for her to be turned away.

Thanks!

Have her take her bc to the post office and check with them as they do the passports and will tell her if that is the correct one. As long as it is issued from the state (not hospital) she should be ok. As stated above not all states use the raised seal.

Her birth certificate is from Illinois.

I am almost positive mine had a raised seal from Illinois. I got it 3 years ago from main office in Springfield. Boy was that expensive! They might have changed things now...but 3 years ago, mine had a raised seal.

Her birth certificate is from Illinois.

It sounds like it is the right one, does she still live there? Could she go to the town hall and get another copy to be safe? You may still have enough time to do http://www.vitalchek.com if you pay for expedited service. I would have her run not walk to the post office and have them check it for her. If it is the right one to get a passport it will be the right one to get on the ship.

From the US Passport website

Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state

NOTE: A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note that some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes

And of course, if you're unsure, there's still time to order a new one.

My SIL lives here in Ohio where I do. The birth certificate looks exactly like ours without the seal. In my opinion, if RCI policy is that it have a raised seal, it should be noted in their policy. I'm thinking maybe if your certificate looked suspicious maybe they would give you a hard time. I asked the questions about the seal thinking some of you would have come across this when checking in before your cruise recently...anyone?

Not all States use a raised seal, also depending on when the certified copy was issued, they also may have not used a seal at that time and do now. For the Taking It To The Post Office to have it verified if it is the correct document, Not ALL Post Office process Passports and therefore they wouldn't have a clue if its the correct form, they are not all Passport Processing Offices!

This is not the first question about birth certificates.

A passport is the way to go! It lasts ten years and is worth paying a few dollars and not having to worry.

M

they are leaving on Sunday not possible at this point, though I agree that passports are the way to go

RCCL's policy is that you need a government issued birth certificate (because that's what the US Government requires for reentry). In some states, the government issued birth certificate has a raised seal, in others it has a watermark, a stamp, or something else to indicate that it is a certified copy. If the birth certificate you have is issued by the state (and not the county, a hospital, etc), and has something to indicate that it is certified (whether it be a raised seal, or a watermark, or something else) then it is fine.

If you aren't sure, then definitely take it to your local passport office and see what they say.

Not all States use a raised seal, also depending on when the certified copy was issued, they also may have not used a seal at that time and do now. For the Taking It To The Post Office to have it verified if it is the correct document, Not ALL Post Office process Passports and therefore they wouldn't have a clue if its the correct form, they are not all Passport Processing Offices!

There is a ton of them within a few minutes drive from the OP. All of which process passports according to the USPS website and they would know if the passport was the correct one.

This past year I ordered new birth certificates for my DH and myself. Ours were so old (no comments!) that they were the old black photocopies. The new ones...one from NYC and the other from Oklahoma...do not have any raised seals. They have watermarks and some security information on the certificate for authenticity. Both of these certificates are certified from the issuing authority. I had ordered one for my DD from Arkansas and it did not have a raised seal either. Wrp96 is correct!

OP, also look for things like a watermark, "State File Number", a registrar's signature, the words "vital statistic" or "vital record" or a statement that says something like "This is a true certification of name and birth facts recorded in this office".

If she's near enuf to the county of her birth, urge her to pop for another one or pay the vital check fee and have one overnighted (which she can use after the cruise to obtain a passport).

I wouldn't risk being turned away, having come very close before with a notarized copy of a very old photostat.

It is probably the right one. If it is not, she can head down to the department of vital statistics building or courthouse where ever she lives. My friend cousin that is going on the cruise with us in October has lost his BC, so I told him to go down the the Pittsburgh Vital Statistics building or courthouse, where my other friend got hers last year. You can just head down there and within and hour, maybe less, you can get it. Also, if one of the parents were in the service/army (at least here in Pennsylvania) you can get the BC for free, but the fee here is $10.

We are leaving this Sunday, 9/9 on the Freedom. My SIL's birth certificate does not have a raised seal but is certified. The RCI website states "In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required. Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth (except for new borns) are not acceptable."

Do you think she will be okay with her birth certificate and marriage license that does have a raised seal? Our TA states your birth certificate must have a raised seal but RCI rules do not. What do you think? This is my SIL's first cruise and I would hate for her to be turned away.

Thanks!

I'll be on the same boat; I look forward to meeting you "both". ;)

There are several steps your SIL should take. She should do these today and not wait:

1. Check with the local post office on the birth certificate. She'll want to see if they would accept it as fitting documentation for a passport. My guess would be if the post office would take it, it'll be good on the ship as well.

2. Check with her state of birth to see if they issue raised seal certificates. My mother gave me a copy and I had to "write home" (New York) to get an official record. I was able to even go on-line and order an expedited certificate, but I called the appropriate office (number listed on web site) and had them process it for me over the phone. I had a FedEx a couple of days later.

It would be a good idea if your SIL would perform step two because it removes all doubt from the equation. Good luck, and I look forward to meeting you two. (You *did* sign up for the meet and mingle, right?)

More information (since a lot of posts on this topic seem to be a waste of time):

http://www.idph.state.il.us/vitalrecords/birth.htm

This is the web site where she'll need to go to order an official certificate. She can order in person, online, by mail, fax, etc. There's a specific link, "For a birth certificate needed for travel"

http://www.idph.state.il.us/vitalrecords/travelinfo.htm

Read the third paragraph (print it out and take it with you to the port):

"Be Informed: There have been reports that some workers in the travel industry mistakenly believe a certified birth record must have a "raised seal". Illinois has not used a raised seal since 1985. Certified copies of records issued by IDPH, Division of Vital Records are now embossed with the state and department seals in the lower right and left hand corners (with the exception of the birth card which may have a stamped seal). The texture of the embossed seals can be felt when running your fingers over them. All types of certified birth records issued by IDPH, Division of Vital Records are legally acceptable. Of these types, the certified copy or "long form" is the most readily recognizable birth record. NOTE: If your child is under 14 years of age and the birth certificate will be used for a passport application, the passport office requires the $15.00 certified copy."

I hope all this helps. Match her certificate with what the official web site says, and also call RCCL and pose the question. Ask if they can put a note on your account so that employees at the port won't deny you boarding because they can see you've already called them and discussed this issue with them.

Again, I look forward to seeing you two on the cruise.

Archived