Laundry

wildflwr3

I'm thinking of packing light for our family of four and maybe doing laundry mid trip. I was planning on having it done on ship but I'd spend a small fortune that I'd rather spend on other things. Any advice?

We usually do laundry on the ship, midway through the trip and prior to heading home - I hate going home with dirty laundry facing me, and particularly with two boys it piles up very fast!!!

Last Alaska cruise we were on the Sea Princess and they had self-service facilities on board. It worked out well. For the upcoming cruise we are on Celebrity which does not have self-service facilities. We are thinking of spending an hour or so at a laundramat at one of the stops - maybe Juneau, since this is a longer stop for us than most.

I also like doing laundry so I don't have to pack so much!!!! I know many folks on these boards will think why do laundry when you can enjoy Alaska - but its just a habit I have developed as we have traveled and I like you, would rather spend money on "other" things than laundry!!! Also had a bad experience on the Voyager of the Seas when I sent things to be done in their laundry and got someone else's clothes back!!! It took several days to get this resolved -so I don't have fond memories of the "efficiency and satisfaction" of a ships laundry.

Thanks for your reply I feel better. The trip is getting close and I'm getting a little panicky about the packing part. We are on Celebrity also and I wish that they had an on board laundry mat. Might be something I look for on my next cruise. I hate to pack and haul luggage around. Thanks again.

http://www.celebrity.com/prepare/faq/answer.asp?s=9A55C11633&sid=76&fid=359

This will take you to the price list for laundry/dry cleaning. You will have to determine if it is worth it to you individually. We plan on taking enough underwear/socks and perhaps have a couple pair of jeans and a few shirts washed. Packing for four, when you have to take long pants and long sleeved shirts can be a major undertaking. I'm thinking I don't want to take any of my vacation time to do laundry, it may spoil the vacation mood!

Kathy

Ship machines are sometimes the half size one and the dryers 110, taking forever. There can be considerable waits for laundry on the ship. I always take my laundry off ship in Skagway- take the shuttle at the dock if necessary- but a rolling bag and a good walk- 1/4 mile+ is easy. The laundry is located on State and Second. 1 block from the first shuttle stop at the Park Service visitor center. That is Second St. continue past the Red Onion for another block and it is at the gas station on the other side of the road. Use the fast propane dryers - you can be done in a little over an hour- just enough time for a walk to the Red Onion. icon_smile.gif In Juneau- I don't know of any laundry downtown?? I have used the one in the plaza just after the turn from Glacier Highway heading to Mendenhall glacier - on the left- but you need a car to get there.

Archived