What would you do if your hairdresser...

Agr8RN

I am SOOOOOO annoyed with my hairdresser of 10 years.

I've been seeing the same gal for that long... have followed her to many different salons, and now she has her own salon (for about 2 yrs I'd say)........

I hear your story loud and clear. Sounds almost IDENTICAL to one of my own. I was with the same hairdresser for years and years and she always gave me the same cut. I tried a new colour and instead of a nice dark blonde she turned me orange! So I then had to re-colour it dark to hide the orange. My hair was dried out and brittle like sticks for months because of her! And although I kept telling her I wanted to grow my hair long (LONG) she kept cutting it off at my shoulders. I honestly don't know why I kept going back! I guess I felt bad for not going! The last time I let her touch my hair, she had 2 of her girlfriends in the salon at the time and they talked and talked and talked and i'm watching her in the mirror not really paying attention to what she was doing and my hair's getting shorter and shorter. It ended up WAY above my shoulders and totally unable to pull back into a pony tail. So I finally admitted to myself that it's just not worth the heartache and I stopped going. She even called me to ask where I had been!! How rude is that!?! It has taken me a while, but i've found another hairdresser who I trust completley with my hair and she's never let me down :D

My best advice to you is to drop your hairdresser. She should be paying full attention to your hair and not fobbing you off with 'just buy some shampoo'. She should have asked you to come back to the salon so she could look at it and attempt to fix the colour and style :(

I'm really sorry she ruined your hair. Drop her and find someone you can trust :D Good luck :D

My best advice to you is to drop your hairdresser. She should be paying full attention to your hair and not fobbing you off with 'just buy some shampoo'. She should have asked you to come back to the salon so she could look at it and attempt to fix the colour and style trust :D

I agree with MsMinx that she should be paying full attention to your hair, I am a hairdresser and when I have my cuts done {I do my own color) I want to be the center of attention. What I mean by that is I don't like distractions that can lead to a bad cut. Granted during my services I do have to take calls (we are small and no receptionist) but I try my best to make my clients happy and feeling special. This is how I wanted to be treated before becoming a stylist and I pass that on to my clients.

Hope that you find a good stylist. Good Luck

Missygirl

Hairdressers to me are like dentists to others......I am petrified of them.

Not since High School have I had a decent hairdresser and I have been to so many places. Whenever I would sit down in the chair, my palms would start to sweat....seems that no matter what I would tell my hairdressers, they would take the liberty to do whatever they wanted....or just do a poor job.

Now I just cut my own layers....I have long wavy hair that is so easy for me to cut. I have never colored my hair (except in the 80's.....had that blue hair mascara wand to put streaks in my hair!!!:rolleyes: )....and when the day comes that I do need/want to, I will probably do that myself also. It is not worth the stress and the aggravation if I can do it myself.

A lot of people have given you good advice. Good luck with your hair.....I know what is like to get a botched up job....just invest in some barettes and some headbands...maybe these can help?:o

I had a great - and very inexpensive - stylist for years. I'd be in there every 6 to 8 weeks as my hair was both permed and colored - we'd alternate the services, as each lasted about 3 months, and I'd need a trim each time as well.

Then she got pregnant, and somehow all her skills - hair and interpersonal - went out the window. I went in for a perm, and found her squinting at the instructions. When I questioned her, she said, "Oh, I didn't have your usual perm, so I borrowed this one from one of the other girls." Like I didn't make my appointment several weeks in advance??

Then I went in to have my roots touched up, and told her I'd like to move toward a darker shade of blonde than I'd been getting. I came home a brunette, and when I called her back, got the same "buy X shampoo and shampoo every day, it'll tone down." Not one morsel of remorse. Well, that was the last straw.

Unfortunately, the next stylist I tried on the recommendation of a friend totally fried my hair when she gave me a perm.

But I got really lucky after that - I went into a nearby salon just to get it cut (I'd decided on no more chemicals until all the damage grew out - and when it grew back, decided I'd stick with the natural color) and got a competent person. I also discovered that the salon was owned by a woman I knew from the community choral group we both belong to. So when the stylist I'd been seeing moved on, I ended up with the owner - and she is an absolute wizard with hair! I have had people compliment me on my naturally curly hair - that's how good her perms are. She's higher priced than that other woman (but not out of line with other shops in the area) and worth every penny!

Chuckle at the last post!! I usually also have pointless posts myself....

My hairdresser is quite good in that she will not always do what I want!! My hair is or was dark brown and I wanted to go more blond... She talked me into going with lighter painted highlights at first and we brought it lighter over a period of time... I think she knew if she did what I asked it would not be in my best interest... At first I was a little fustrated that she was not with me on a drastic step, but of course in the end she was right. The gradual change was just perfect.

just come to me.. ill do your hair for you =)... im in sayreville hehe =)

....And I was wondering if you could start cutting my hair. I have been going to haircutter to haircutter getting ulcers from what these people have put me through. Please tell me where your located.

Ruthann

Hi:) ...just off topic for a minute...but I have an old friend Ruthann

from NJ....is that you with a new screen name maybe?

IF so..Hi old friend:D

IF not.....sorry to bother you..but hello to you;)

Hi:) ...just off topic for a minute...but I have an old friend Ruthann

from NJ....is that you with a new screen name maybe?

IF so..Hi old friend:D

IF not.....sorry to bother you..but hello to you;)

Maybe it is me but I always had this screen name on here but my name isn't that common and in NJ, let's try and figure this out.

Hi:) then its not you;) because my old friend Ruthann uses

the screen name cruisegirl_too.

Did you move to Cost Rica in the last 2 years to teach

English? She did that and decided to change her life! A positive change:)

Nice to meet you anyway!:D

This is so bad but after my hairdresser of 10 years appeared on TLC's A Makeover Story, he wasn't the same. Either apathy or ego caused him to be a bit lethargic.

The good side was that while his salon (actually it is owned by his life partner who is also a hairdresser in the salon) was on the rise, he never raised his prices on me over the ten years and actually lowered them. Since my hair is so curley, he didn't have to blowdry or style.

Anyway, I was paying $45 and a $15 tip for color and cut that his newer clients paid $100+ for which is what kept me there for so long.

After watching him color my hair for years, I started doing it myself and trim my hair by holding it up in one bunch over my head and cutting straight across. It gives me lots of layers.

I know I need to stop but I can't find anyone I like.

Is there anyway to find a good hairdresser?

People that do their own hair usually look like they do their own hair and it isn't pretty.

Archived