Cruisers with small kids - anything special you suggest to pack?

mcubed

We will be going on our first cruise to the Mexican Riviera in October and will be taking our 4 year old daughter with us. I am sure she will enjoy some time in the kids club and she will be going with us on the excursions (1/2 day tour of Mazatlan and dolphin kisses in Puerta Vallarta).

Aside from that, my question is:

Is there anything special I should pack to keep her occupied at other times or anything you packed for your kids and were so glad you did or forgot and wish you had? So far I am bringing some new coloring books/notepads, crayons, pencils, markers. A small card game we can all play together. She will probably be bringing her handheld computer (no, we don't let her bring it to dinner) and, of course, one of her dolls! I will probably pick up a few travel themed books, too. Anything I should bring for the excursions? Any advice on anything else that you would add or delete would be most helpful.

Thanks so much!

Oh, of course, swim shoes, sunscreen, and her floaties. :)

I took a big plastic drink bottle for my kids and filled it with juice at the morning buffet so they could have juice to drink all day. You also may want to bring a sun hat if she has a fair complexion and you will be in the sun a lot. My daughter always gets the part in her hair sunburned if we don't use a hat. The only other thing I can think of right now is if you wanted to bring a box of cracker packages (or something similiar) to bring along on the excursions in case she needs a snack. Have fun. My 7 and 5 year old absolutely love cruising.:)

The crayons, coloring books, reading books and game are a good idea, but don't let her see them until you get on the ship or on the tour. It'll be 'fresh' that way.

The thing that I learned (the hard way) was to bring action figures (or Barbies) from home so my kids had something to do during the 'down times' - when we were getting ready for dinner, etc.

A portable DVD player is a Godsend with kids, especially with Princess' limited movies and TV shows. You can rent DVDs through Netflix.com for a long time & there are no late fees.

Whatever you do, don't force your child to go to the kids' program. My shy son was ready to go, but my outgoing son wasn't. Go figure! Our younger son didn't want anything to do with the program until he was 7 & I know many other parents that have said the same thing.

Take advantage of the movies on the ship in the movie theatre and also the board games in game room. We play board games almost every night onboard and those are fond, family memories for us.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've got it down pretty well! Enjoy! ;)

Bring some of her favorite snacks - these aren't always available on the ship.

Also, be sure to bring meds for her - Children's Tylenol, Children's Immodium etc. These aren't always available on the ship either.

Since you are going to Mexico, I would be very careful about what was eaten/drunk on shore - watch out for raw veggies - stick with bottled water and drinks without ice while on shore. I personally would not buy anything from a food cart either. Her digestive system may not be as tolerant as an adult's. (I personally never had any problem in the Mex. Riviera - but I wasn't travelling with my child at that time either).

Other than that, it sounds like you have a comprehensive assortment of toys to divert her attention. We did bring a portable DVD player once and plugged it in on our tv in the cabin so our DD could watch a favorite DVD or two.

Have fun.

These are great ideas. Thanks! I am going to look into the portable DVD player idea. I have been thinking about getting one anyway - it will probably come in handy during "rest" time for sure. Also, the snacks are a great idea, too. I will pick up some of the Goldfish snack packs and some fruit snacks to bring along.

I am totally keeping all the fun stuff away from her until we are on the cruise - I totally agree anything being "new" will add to the appeal! I have also gotten her doll a new outfit that I won't give her until we leave. I have already packed a beverage container and meds so I am glad you have seconded that. Also, I packed some Crystal Lite individual drink mix because she doesn't like soda and water all the time may get old.

We'll see how she likes the kids program. It could go either way. This is the first time we are taking her with us on vacation and I am looking forward to spending this time with her (I am a working mom, so this is a treat). Either way I am sure we will have a great time - w/out a nanny.;) She is actually a great, well-behaved kid I just know you can only expect a 4 year old to stay occupied on her own for so long - hence my question.

Oh, and there is no way we will be doing any adventurous eating in Mexico. I am actually kind of paranoid about it - I have gotten VERY ill from eating/drinking the wrong things in Mexico. That won't happen twice! I do appreciate the 'heads up", though.

Thanks again, for the advice and I welcome any other thoughts.

I would just like to repeat - take wet wipes. These are handy for everyone. Even going around the ship, you use handrails, etc. that everyone has touched and then decide you would like some fries or a cookie - clean your hands and stay healthy. (No one is reasonably going to wash their hands constantly but that is the best advice on any ship and especially for children).

I'm asking more for myself but would there be a reason to take a car seat? We will have a 3 year old with us next time.

I haven't traveled in the last 5 years without baby wipes and I didn't even have a baby.

Well are you going to take a taxi or shuttle van? If you are, then yes you need a car seat. Especially if you are flying into the port and you need to get from the airport to the port. US taxis aren't suppose to let you travel without one (we found this out in Miami, but luckily we had the travel car seat with us)

Taxis in other countries will let you travel without a carseat....but you would have to ask yourself if you would want to. ;)

If you are only traveling by excusions buses, then no you won't need a car seat. Car seats aren't allowed on excursion buses because there are no seat belts to lock them in.

I had the same question about the car seat - thanks for asking cruisetoscrap and answering mama!

Onthe lake - I'm with ya on the wet wipes (w/ a bit of overkill I am afraid). I have already packed sanitizer gel, sanitizer spray and clorox sheets for a wipe down of the room. I will put some baby wipes in too, just in case I am not completely OCD yet!:)

Thanks and anything else I should think about?

If you're going on any beach excursions, bring along some inexpensive sand toys. Also, to help keep the cabin tidy, designate a place where she can put her toys away, like a drawer (there were storage drawers under the couch on the Glory that were good for this) or a small pop-up hamper to keep the books and dolls in.

I didn't see this listed above so forgive me if this is a repeat....SIPPY CUPS!

The cruiselines try to conserve the use of plastics, so they offer all kids drinks in those big glass goblets. Which becomes an adventure with a 2 year old...lol. :eek:

So if your child is not used to drinking out of fine china, bring sippies. :D

I didn't see this listed above so forgive me if this is a repeat....SIPPY CUPS!

The cruiselines try to conserve the use of plastics, so they offer all kids drinks in those big glass goblets. Which becomes an adventure with a 2 year old...lol. :eek:

So if your child is not used to drinking out of fine china, bring sippies. :D

Ooo, such a good idea, I hadn't thought about that. I have a 5 and 3 year old that I am taking in October, I think I will bring one for both of them. Last year I took these sippies to Disneyland (evne though neither of my kids has used ones for years) and they were the best thing ever!

Pack your snacks in disposable plastic containers. First cruise I thought I was so smart bringing snack sized bags of cheerios, teddy grahams etc. I ended up with a bunch of little baggies full of crumbs!!!! Now I bring the plastic "tupperware" type of containers and then use the empties for building sand castles, mini buckets at the beach etc.

We always pack a stepstool for the kids, so they can reach the sinks in the bathroom (and I use it to reach the top shelves inthe cabin. :rolleyes:

We use the inexpensive one from IKEA that is lightweight plastic and is hollow, so packing it is not a problem at all. I usually wrap it in a couple of plastic bags before putting it in the suitcase, then fill the interior with socks.

You may be able to do double-duty with a booster seat as well for this, if you plan on bringing one.

Tide-to-Go pen.

It is amazing to me how ketchup, a primary food group for my son, manages to get ketchup on himself at every meal. The Tide-to-Go pen will help get the stain out and save those new clothes from permanent stains setting in by the time we do laundry at home.

Also, for sunblock, I love those Coppertone/Waterbabies face sticks. They look like a glue stick and you use it to protect those tiny cheeks and noses. It avoids the accidental sunblock in the eye!

Oh, one more thing. A collapsible laundry hamper. I put this in the closet to collect all the dirty laundry since I put the luggage under the bed. My kids go through a lot of clothes (see son's ketchup experience above) so this helps keep all the dirty stuff in one place.

And ditto on the kids' medicines (Tylenol, immodium, etc.) I also bring a thermometer with me just in case. And band aids, first aid ointment, etc. Basically a mini medical cabinet!

Archived