When do you Start Packing?

JesJ

Just wondering how soon (or late) people start packing for their trip.

Out of excitement do you pack real early, or do you wait til the last minute and cram everything into a bag and head out for vacation...

Do you tend to overpack or underpack?

I overpack of course... and I pack at the very last minute, the night before. I am too busy with other cruise related things in the weeks before a cruise, packing is the last thing for me, and let's me know "it's time" :D

I have found after about 18 cruises that if I start packing early I usually over pack because I forget what I've already packed.

If I wait until a day or two before the cruise I generally have about everything we really need.

Of course, I've always been one that gets a bit spastic right before we close the suitcase and stick in a few items I'm afraid we can't live without. We live usually live quite well without those items.

I think it's like packing a few teddy bears for security.:)

Dianne

1st cruise - 2 weeks

2nd cruise - 1 week

3rd cruise - 1 week

4th cruise - 2 days

Next cruise - My wife flies out in about 36 hours and is still not packed.

That is so funny, I can completely relate!!! I am just as excited for each cruise, but it seems like with each cruise the urge to pack gets closer and closer to departure time!!

I sail on the 23rd... I'll pack the evening before.

I just can't get into packing a week before or even a few days before.

Typically, it'll be a marathon session of running to the dry cleaner's, folding, some ironing and lots of searching for things that I put in a particular spot so I could find them easily...

:rolleyes:

I sail on the 23rd... I'll pack the evening before.

I just can't get into packing a week before or even a few days before.

Typically, it'll be a marathon session of running to the dry cleaner's, folding, some ironing and lots of searching for things that I put in a particular spot so I could find them easily...

:rolleyes:

Now that's my packing modem.:)

Dianne

We sail in 16 days and the only thing I've set aside to pack is the camera and the memory card!!

I have a feeling I'm going to be up late the night of 9/21/07 getting everything ready for the next day!

Thankfully we are leaving from our home city so it will only take us about 20 minutes to get to the pier!!

Definitely an early overpacker - yes I have a spreadsheet of days and corresponding clothing - do this to avoid overpacking - but it happens nonetheless!

I start at least a week in advance w/laundry, ironing and making sure all buttons, zippers, etc are intact. Main packing done on weekend before leaving which gives me time to run out and get stuff if I am missing something. I am leaving on a Tuesday so the weekend before will be busy w/packing and getting ready to make sure I don't forget anything.

I won't even mention the pending luggage meltdowns- no I can't get it all to fit in one suitcase AND meet the 50 lb requirement so I end up shlepping an extra suitcase with me! l What a pain in the bum!

Froufie

Just wondering how soon (or late) people start packing for their trip.

Out of excitement do you pack real early, or do you wait til the last minute and cram everything into a bag and head out for vacation...

Do you tend to overpack or underpack?

Try practicae packing it helps(grin works for me)..

AND meet the 50 lb requirement so I end up shlepping an extra suitcase with me! l What a pain in the bum!

Froufie

Not sure why so many people have an aversion to packing two suitcases instead of one.

DH & I normally take 2 checked bags a piece on a cruise plus a carry on each.

None of our bags are packed to the limit so we know we have extra room and weight limit for any purchases we make aboard ship or in port. Our luggage has wheels and snaps together to maneuver through airports, in and out of hotels and up to the pier.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen pax purchasing a new suitcase in a port of call because they only packed one large piece of luggage for the cruise and needed an ``extra suitcase'' to bring home their purchases.

Dianne

I have started a small pile of clothes and stuff on the spare bed for our Oct. 13 cruise. End of Sept, I'll probably lug up the suitcases from downstairs and begin weeding out stuff.

Hubby will wait 'til 2 days before we leave, make a list of stuff to pack and then proceed to forget things that were on the list!

I packed the night before my flight. Took about 20 minutes but mainly due to the fact that my back pack is already stocked with a lot of the items I take anywhere I travel (tooth paste , camera, razors etc...). As for over or under packing , neither, I had everything I needed and used everything I took.

I travel on a whim a lot so I like being ready to go in a snap. I can be out the door in less than an hour at any given moment :D

I actually will start placing things on the extra bed as early as 2 months prior! As I buy stuff that are on sale or stuff I will need, I place it on the bed. The suitcase will come out maybe a month prior. I start placing things out so early so that I can get a total view of what I have and what I still need.

Next cruise will be the kids first so packing early will be a must! I will be packing for myself plus 3.

Also packing early gets me all "pumped up" and siked for my trip.:D

We leave in 2 days, and I'm going to start packing tonight. I would have actually waited until tomorrow, but it turns out I will have some other things going on tomorrow, so I need to do it tonight while I have time. If I pack too early I forget what's packed and overpack. We generally pack "just enough" - for the 4 of us we bring a medium rolling suitcase, a carry on sized rolling suitcase, and a backpack (which we keep with us and carry on the ship). I need to go find my suitcases, now that I'm thinking about it!

One thing I try to do a few days out is to charge up 12 AA batteries for the camera and gather the batteries, charger, memory cards, and camera. That's the one thing that will mess everything up if I forget until the last minute. The other stuff is all easy to find and toss in the luggage.

Coming up on our fourth cruise, and not until next September, I have not packed but I do have a shelf in my closet that I have gotten some things from the fabalous list that was brought to the board a while back. Since we are going to Europe and staying in hotels in London and Rome, we will need some things that we would not normally need. And that list had things on it that I just know w/o a doubt that if I do not bring, I will be very sorry ;) But as far as actually packing, about two day.

We always pack the night before, like any other trip. We have also learned to pack right for the length of the trip. We each pack in a 22" rollaboard which is the maximum US domestic airline carry-on size. We also take a backpack full of things we want to have the first day and a laptop bag.

This will be my first cruise. Every night when I get in the bed I think of things that I want to pack or need to make sure I pack. I have never ever been the one to do anything early or on time...I'm a major procastinator! I am so excited about going though I might actually get packed before everyone else is already loading up for the cruise...LOL

When I'd pack too early, say 3 or 4 days ahead of departure day, I'd forget what I already packed. Now I pack the night before.

On our last cruise it was only my 17 y/o son and I. I bugged him for a month to make sure he had things he needed. He assured me he did. He packed the night before just like me assuring me he had formal wear, enough shorts, slacks etc.

First night nothing fit right and his belt was too big! He had a brand new pair of jeans that he insisted on wearing to the dining room about which we had a big argument! NO jeans in the dining room! "They're the only thing that fits!" He managed to wear a slacks he didn't think fit but looked fine to me. He had to punch a new hole to use the belt. He was so upset. He hadn't tried anything on and he'd grown much taller and got thinner! Boys!

When I'd pack too early, say 3 or 4 days ahead of departure day, I'd forget what I already packed. Now I pack the night before.

On our last cruise it was only my 17 y/o son and I. I bugged him for a month to make sure he had things he needed. He assured me he did. He packed the night before just like me assuring me he had formal wear, enough shorts, slacks etc.

First night nothing fit right and his belt was too big! He had a brand new pair of jeans that he insisted on wearing to the dining room about which we had a big argument! NO jeans in the dining room! "They're the only thing that fits!" He managed to wear a slacks he didn't think fit but looked fine to me. He had to punch a new hole to use the belt. He was so upset. He hadn't tried anything on and he'd grown much taller and got thinner! Boys!

I believe this is another reason I pack early. I need to make sure everything still fits and is in good condition. I usually cruise in the spring so all those extra pounds from T-Giving and Christmas sometimes add up.:eek:

Archived