Roommate Matching Experiences, Anyone?

Brandy2057

I am trying to decide whether to take a singles cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, which would be quite affordable if I have a cabin roommate. This is a 10-night cruise, so I am somewhat hesitant about the roommate matching this agency provides. Has anyone had any experience with this before? Was it good, bad, or okay? I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance that I won't have a totally miserable time sharing a small cabin with a total stranger!

Hi Tim, I'm more afraid of if she would want a romantic liaison! (Been there in college, don't want to go back!) I'm actually in a relationship with someone who has a lot less vacation time than me, and am technically single, so am considering this cruise for the potential of being part of a group rather than totally on my own. Plus I'd bring earplugs for potential snoring. But you're right, it's the idea of 10 nights that's daunting!

It is worth the x-tra $$$ to have the cabin to yourself!! You just never know! :eek: Good luck...

Hi Tim, I'm more afraid of if she would want a romantic liaison! (Been there in college, don't want to go back!) I'm actually in a relationship with someone who has a lot less vacation time than me, and am technically single, so am considering this cruise for the potential of being part of a group rather than totally on my own. Plus I'd bring earplugs for potential snoring. But you're right, it's the idea of 10 nights that's daunting!

Well if you decide to do a Hawaii cruise, let me know! Carnival is great, and the single supplement on the one solo cruise I did on Carnival was really pretty reasonable too! Had my own cabin on that cruise, for only about $100 more! I am definitely having second thoughts about sharing, although it's quite a bit less affordable that way, but I'm thinking it may be worth it!:cool:

back in college, I took two singles cruises where 4 people shared a cabin. This was a dirt cheap way to cruise. The first one I was teamed up with 3 professional putt putt players. Needless to say, I didn't stay in the room too much while they practiced their putt putt. The second cruise I had 3 roommates who were terrific and fun to be with. All in all, you are hardly ever in the room and just work out a plan to put a sock on the door handle if need be.

I did a 12-day Cruise Critic group cruise to Hawaii back in April. I got an inside cabin by myself for only $1,449. To me it's not worth it to take a chance with the unknown on a long cruise.

Roz

Do you want to put so much money into a cruise and be miserable for 10 days? I've known many people who've done this and nearly wanted to jump ship because their roommate drove them crazy. What if you get someone who wants to go to bed early? What if you get someone who wants to party all night in your cabin? What if you get someone who's just downright cranky? What will you do if your roommate finds a "honey" early in the cruise and wants to bring him to your cabin for romance every night? For me, it's not worth it to spend so much money and take the chance of getting the roommate from he LL.

• 1 month later...

I am pondering the same idea for a 4 night cruise in January.

My fear is that I would get some whack job party animal that would be bringing other drunken idiots into my cabin and there really wouldn't be much I could do about it. Plus, there is only 1 safe so where do you put your wallet, camera or any other valuables?? Can't lug that stuff around 24/7! Just kills me to pay twice as much...but I guess the sanity would be worth it!

We have a friend who wants to go with us but we determined that interior staterooms are much too small for three people. What is the procedure for someone to book a cruise as a single- how do they go about matching people up, etc....

Hi fellow Oregonian!

gina in Salem

my suggestion would be to ask this agency that you would first like to talk to the person whom u may be matched to. to see if u click, and to talk over sharing the room. there are plenty of places on ship to hook up besides your room. let the person know u are not interested in hooking up as u have a girlfriend. u r just there to have fun!!

there are plenty of places on ship to hook up besides your room. let the person know u are not interested in hooking up as u have a girlfriend. u r just there to have fun!!

Cabin-mate matching is of the same gender so hopefully the OP won't be hit on by his male cabin-mate :D !

I had a friend to signed up for a roommate on a Princess ship and it ended up being the trip from Hell for her. Her "roommate" slept with a crew person before the ship ever left port. Get this - she then met a guy who was on his honeymoon and was in the cabin sleeping with this guy on the first night at sea! My friend was so upset that this girl would just have guys in the room whenever she felt like it. She also charged up a bunch of phone calls (this was before cell phones were available to be used on the ships), and didn't pay for them. My friend ended up having to settle the bill. Luckily, the 2nd day on the ship, my friend ran into a couple of acquaintances from college and she ended up bunking in with them for the rest of the week. I really felt sorry for her. After that, she continued to sail 2x a year but always paying the single supplement.

Well my problem was solved when I found a friend, and her daughter, to share a cabin with me on this singles cruise. Although it will be tight in the cabin with 3 of us, we've been friends for many years, so should be able to work out the kinks. (I've shared a cabin on 2 cruises with my twin daughters, so know it can work.) On a different note, I just went on a two week land-based trip to Spain, sharing lodging, rental car, expenses, etc. with someone I met through the Travel Chums website, who I didn't know very well. On the whole the trip went pretty well, but I have to admit that I would have liked having a room to myself on that trip too. I guess it comes down to what's more important, economizing, or having your privacy and peace of mind. Since I try to travel as much as possible on available funds every year, it can be a difficult decision!

3 or 4 years ago I booked a singles cruise through an agency that "specialized" in Singles Cruises. They would match you up with a roomate to save the single supplement, they had their own private cocktail parties & a "red-robin" type of seating arrangement for dinners. It all sounded SO perfect I just couldn't resist.

This particular sailing was on a very upscale ship and I LOVED the itinerary. I was SO excited & looking forward to this cruise;-)

About 2 weeks before the departure date I received a phone call from the agent I booked with. She was calling to tell me that only FOUR people had signed up for this cruise.

Two of them being female (and were good friends) so she wanted to put them in a cabin together. Then she asked if I would be willing to share a cabin with (I think his name was "Guido" from Italy). She assured me that he is a "really nice guy", and that he's sailed with them a few times in the past.

Do to the silence on the phone . . . she then went on to say that she hoped I would be "ok" with this arrangement, but if I wasn't, she could give me a full refund (I had already paid in full).

Needless to say . . . I immediately took her up on her offer for the refund, since it clearly stated on their website that their matching system was based on gender & smoking preference.

I was not about to share a cabin with a male stranger, let alone someone I had never even met before! No Thank you.

IObviously, I was VERY bummed after that call knowing that the cruise I'd been looking forward to for so long was now not going to happen. So bummed, that I immediately picked up the phone and called Carnival Cruise lines & asked if they had ANY vacancies on ANY of their ships leaving out of Miami on that date. (plane ticket was also already paid in full& non-refundable)

As it turns out they had ONE cabin available on the Riviera deck (almost below sea level & inside). It was a complete opposite itinerary from what I had originally booked, but the excitement of having a cruise to look forward to again prompted me to say "I'll take it!"

Long story short . . . I ended up saving almost $1,000, went on this very spontaneous cruise and had the time of my life!!

I DID receive my full refund from the Singles agency. And was thankful for that do to the fact that shortly after all this, they were out of business.

On the "upside" . . . I sailed with Carnival several times after that initial one using their "Single-share" program and was paired up with some very nice "female" roomates that worked out very well. Some have even become life-long friends:-).

I think it's the luck of the draw anytime you book to be matched with a roomate, but for the most part I've heard "positive" comments. My one time "nightmare" was most likely a "fluke" and probably has something to do with the fact that they're no longer in business.

My best advise: Be careful of booking anything "online". Do some research on the company before you actually book.

Good luck with your cruise. I'd love to read a review from you here when you get back.

BON VOYAGE!

Annie

• 1 month later...

I did six cruises with my girlfriend/fiancee (got engaged on a cruise)/wife (honeymoon was a cruise).

Back then, I could never imagine cruising 'solo' but alas, I am now divorced and have since done a South America/Antarctica cruise as a single and have a Med. cruise booked.

I would never consider having a roommate and gladly pay the single supplement... it's worth every penny if you meet someone and get 'romantic'.

I went on a group cruise and was paired with someone that I had just recently met. Although I liked her, she and I kept totally different hours. I'm a morning person and she's a night owl. It was hard on both of us. That's one of the reasons I'm now willing to pay extra for my own cabin. I can't imagine being paired with a total stranger! As a matter of fact, on my next cruise my sister is also going and we both have our own cabins.

I've only had one experience with room-sharing and it turned out good. I think what would be important would be to state what would irritate you the most such as smoking in the bathroom, coming back in the middle of the night, turning on the light while someone else is sleeping, closing doors quietly, NOT expecting the other person to be your best friend.

Archived