Long-wearing foundation?

TucsonDeb

Does anyone know of a medium coverage long-wearing foundation? Mine usually fades by 2pm or so, at which point I either have to scrub off my face and reapply, or try to touch it up (which never looks nearly as good).

I have a tendency toward breakouts, so something oil-free would be best.

Thanks for any advice!

Why don't you give the mineral makeups a try because they stay on much better than any liquid foundation. In fact most brands are so pure you can sleep in them. Once you try it you probably will not want to ever use anything else. You could go back through these threads and look up the category "mineral makeup," in fact, there is one today about L'oreal products which I just read.

I've been using the Jane Iredale brand for quite some time and prefer it to Bare Escentuals although it is somewhat more expensive. All together, I've used these products for over 7 years...my skin looks great as a result. Also, people with all kinds of skin problems do well with this type of makeup. It takes a bit of getting used to applying it but once you get the technique mastered, it's a breeze. When you travel, it goes through the security check with ease and does not count to your liquids allowance.

Also try Physicians Formula Mineral Foundation. I have tried Bare Mineral also but like Physicians better. It seems to stay on longer for me. I have trouble of keeping my foundation on until I found it. Its not as expensive as the others but I have read that sometimes the expensive brands don't work as good as the less expensive ones. :)

Do the mineral foundations clump in wrinkles like powders can? I've been tempted to try but hesitate because I'm concerned it will ultimately look flakey rather than radiantly smooth. (ahhhh, I certainly don't have wrinkles, those must be laugh lines around the mouth, eyes, brow....ack!)

I have been using Bare Minerals for years now and will never use anything else. The key to getting a flawless look is to only use a tiny tiny amount. You shake just a sprinkle into the lid aand dip and tap your brush into the lid. Never put the brush into the container itself as you will get way too much on there. Then just buff it on. You can do a little more if you don't get the coverage you need but less is more in this case. The only time it will clump or crease into lines and wrinkles if you use too much. I don't understand the women who think they need to "paint" their foundation on. We've all seen them or know one, all you can see is their makeup and not their face! Foundation should look natural and you should not even be able to tell if someone is wearing it. Try BE, you will love it!

For hot-weather conditions, I find Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation to be excellent. It not only provides a matte finish and soaks up excess oil - even on oily skin and in humidity - it also passes the almighty Sunlight Test, as well as the Fluorescent Light Test. You can't even see it!

2100174.jpg

For cooler weather, the Diorskin Airflash Spray Foundation provides a nice, dewy, seamless finish - and photographs well for your travel photos, too!

user1311_1153057656.jpg

I also am using mineral make-up. I went with Everyday Minerals, and have been using them for about a year now. There was a huge thread about them. You can get a free sample set from them, that is incredibly helpful to see if you like it. They say the samples are good for a couple applications, but I still have some of the samples, and I use them frequently!

For hot-weather conditions, I find Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation to be excellent. It not only provides a matte finish and soaks up excess oil - even on oily skin and in humidity - it also passes the almighty Sunlight Test, as well as the Fluorescent Light Test. You can't even see it!

2100174.jpg

For cooler weather, the Diorskin Airflash Spray Foundation provides a nice, dewy, seamless finish - and photographs well for your travel photos, too!

user1311_1153057656.jpg

Just curious about the airflash spray - do you literally spray the makeup on your face? how do you avoid getting it all over - or in your hair or on your clothes or ?? It looks so cool but I've always been afraid to try it!

Froufie

I also use Physician's Formula and just love it! I tried Bare Essentials and my face broke out terribly but tried PF and it works for me. I have been using it for about a year and I cannot tell you how many people have commented on my skin and how beautiful it is (I am 55, no spring chicken for sure and I can tell you that no one has commented on my skin in probably 20 years prior to this!) - I have had people ask if I had "face work" done - i.e, did I have a face lift? LOL! This is just great stuff! I get it all in a kit at BJ's for about $20 which is dirt cheap - it comes with the powder makeup, the bronzer, and the eye shadow (2 color) - and each kit lasts about a year. Give it a try - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Cheers! Cindie

It's a snap! Just put on a flimsy nursecap to cover the hair, a towel over chest and shoulders if you are already dressed, and spray in a quick "S" motion over the face.

I've found that if I wait more than 30 seconds, blending with a sponge is optional. It settles in beautifully all on its own. This one looks nice in sunlight as well - that is the real test!

I also am using mineral make-up. I went with Everyday Minerals, and have been using them for about a year now. There was a huge thread about them. You can get a free sample set from them, that is incredibly helpful to see if you like it. They say the samples are good for a couple applications, but I still have some of the samples, and I use them frequently!

I love Everyday Minerals! I just got back on Thursday from the Crown Princess and it stayed on during the steamy weather perfectly. It always looked good, and don't forget that mineral makeup has natural SPF so it screens you from the sun too. What I did was put on the sunscreen like a moisturizer, let it absorb into my skin, then put on the mineral makeup.

It stayed all day, looked great, did NOT gather in the crinkles on my face, and it never felt like I was wearing makeup. I'll never go back to liquid foundation, ever.

- Sharon H. -

I have very flawed and very oily skin, and after much experimenting I've found the perfect long-lasting combination for me is Clinique Superfit foundation topped with Palladio (available at Sally Beauty Supply) foundation powder.

I'll have to look into these mineral makeups.

There is also a product called BeautiControl. I use to wear it but I lost all information on it when I threw out the containers. (what a dummy) I found it at our local county fair at a booth. This stuff is amazing!! It has all the cleaning products from ages 20 and up formulated for each age group. Also the foundations is great. I used the perfecting wet/dry finish. Its a creme but goes on like a powder and it stays on all day!! Which is great for me because I'm a sweater and it doesn't run off. Let your face cool of and its still on your face like you just put it on. I use a kabuki brush to put it on and buff. Can't say enough of this product. and its also for sensitive skin. don't get me wrong I like Physicians Forumula and BM but this is great too!! Just look up there web site to see what the have.:)

Just curious about the airflash spray - do you literally spray the makeup on your face? how do you avoid getting it all over - or in your hair or on your clothes or ?? It looks so cool but I've always been afraid to try it!

Froufie

I have seen this used on "What Not To Wear" on TLC. The make-up artist sprayed it on a sponge first and then dabbed it on the face. I have never tried it.

Mac foundation gets my vote all the way. It lasts until you wash it off at night.

MAC looks awesome.. BUT its the worst stuff to put on your face... the dermatologist said mac makeup is a big no no!! but i love love love their eye shadows......

I'm a 66 year old woman with my share of wrinkles around my eyes. I've been wearing Bare Minerals for a year now and can't imagine any other make-up any more. I have very, very dry skin so use a really good moisturizer that I let soak into my skin before I put on the make-up. I've had no problem whatsoever with the foundation caking in my wrinkles.

Also, because the make up is like a powder you can take it on the airplane with no problems leaving space in the 1 quart zip lock bag for lotions and other liquids.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Pur Minerals from Ulta.

http://www.ulta.com/control/category/~category_id=purminerals

You can get a starter kit for only $35 and it is so worth it. The pur minerals has shea butter in it and is particularly good as it does not dry your skin. It will absolutely last all day and the coverage for blemishes, age spots, etc. is fantastic. I've been using Estee Lauder for years and will continue to use some of their products. But I will not use a liquid or cream foundation again after using minerals. Try it, you'll feel the same way. Don't even waste your money on the other stuff. Nonnie

I tried Bare Minerals and it left my face dry. I haven't tried any other brand,so I use Lancome Resilance Lift....It's okay, but I don't just "love it"

I would like to use a mineral makeup but can't handle the dryness.

Try this site for makeup reviews www.makeupalley.com

I would think the dryness would have more to do with the condition of your skin before using mineral foundations than the actual make-up itself (no matter the brand, they don't have any drying ingredients in them). Most mineral lines have their own moisturizers but I'm sure others can be used as long as the skin absorbs them well before applying the foundation.

That being said, I wish I could wear mineral foundations, but the ones I've tried all turned orange on me (common in Native Americans). I have to be careful with liquid foundations as well. They have to have either blue or pink undertones.

Archived