Unsafe in Miami?!

broadwayshopaholic

I'm just wondering, my boyfriend and I are planning to stay in Miami the night before the cruise, but we're trying to find a good priced hotel that's not in a bad area.

The La Quinta Airport East has good rates and free shuttle to the port, but I'm wondering if it is in a bad area of town or not?

Anyone know? I'm just really concerned about safety in Miami....

We stayed at the Intercontinental at Bayside-- through Priceline $75.... It was walking distance to all the shopping/restaurants-- we even went out after dark...walked etc. Watched the ships come in etc. It was a very low cab ride to the port the next day... (forget the amount) Be reminded they charge alot to park at the hotel-- I think it was around $20 a night....

Hope this helps...

We also stayed at the Intercontinental. It was amazing. It not only overlooks Biscayne Bay but also the cruise port. We woke up the morning of embarkation and took a walk and got to see our ship coming into port. We had dinner at the restaurant onsite and the next day walked over to Bayside Mall to have lunch. The best part is that we got this 4 star hotel for about $100 on an internet travel website.

I would call the MIami police department and ask for the number of the police substation in the area inwhich you tend to be staying. I would then call that station and ask to talk to a station sergeant or watch commander. Simply ask them about crime in the area and where they would stay with their families. Regulations may prohibit them from recommending a particular hotel but they can let you know if the area is safe.

Try to stay near the port area--some of the "outer" areas are quite a distance from the port (think about $30.00 cab fare--one way) and are NOT in great areas.

Miami is a melting pot of cultures. Not all areas are what we would consider "safe"

Pay a few extra bucks for a hotel either close to the airport or to the port, itself.

We stayed in an outlying area once---BIG MISTAKE!!!! We ended up renting a car to go to a better area--we were totally afraid to walk ANYWHERE--bums on benches with brown paper bags "drink" covers, no restaurants... it was AWFUL!

Pay the money for a room in a decent location NEAR THE PORT

We just came back from the Valor. We stayed at the Holiday in Port of Miami the night before. Shopped and ate at Bayside. Never felt unsafe. Spent one night in Miami after the cruise. Stayed at the Surfcomber (Doubletree) in South Beach. We loved this hotel. Did some shopping, swimming at the beach (right outside the hotel) and they have a beautiful pool. We know we will stay there again! My daughter stayed at the Blue Moon in South beach and they did not feel safe. We are from a small town and never felt unsafe but like others have said just be careful.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

You may not get the shuttle service but I wouldn't stay near the airport unless I planned on staying right in the hotel the entire time. I secnd the motion for the Intercontenental. The Holiday Inn is ok, both are right across the street from the Bayside mall. We were mildly satisfied with the Holiday Inn, nice clean rooms, bad restarant and pool area. The staff was just so so. For the right price we would stay there again and do like the location.

Even staying near the port you don't want to wander too far from your hotel.

Nita

My husand and I and another couple stayed last winter at a Hampton. It was very nice. It was not luxury, but it was very clean and the staff was excellent. Hampton Inn - Miami Airport West. We walked around the area of the motel during the day. We had flown into FLL and rented a car and drove to Miami to sight see etc for a day. That night we returned our rental car to the airport and took the free shuttle back to the motel. The next morning the hotel had a shuttle to the port for $10/person. We thought it was great and we are planning another trip and will stay at the same hotel.

PS - We did not want to stay at one of the beautiful South Beach hotels - we have before but were saving our $ for the cruise.

We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. It was great and watched the ship come in!

Hi Fisical, we are booked there as well. I wanted to be close to the port and more importantly be able to see our ship come in that morning too.

Did you like it? I requested a high floor, you too? I've also read some pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Thanks!

Happy Sails!

Romy

My husand and I and another couple stayed last winter at a Hampton. It was very nice. It was not luxury, but it was very clean and the staff was excellent. Hampton Inn - Miami Airport West. We walked around the area of the motel during the day. We had flown into FLL and rented a car and drove to Miami to sight see etc for a day. That night we returned our rental car to the airport and took the free shuttle back to the motel. The next morning the hotel had a shuttle to the port for $10/person. We thought it was great and we are planning another trip and will stay at the same hotel.

PS - We did not want to stay at one of the beautiful South Beach hotels - we have before but were saving our $ for the cruise.

Hampton Inns are our best friends when we travel. We stay at them whenever possible. If not Hampton Inns, Embassy Suites.

Nita

I'm just wondering, my boyfriend and I are planning to stay in Miami the night before the cruise, but we're trying to find a good priced hotel that's not in a bad area.

The La Quinta Airport East has good rates and free shuttle to the port, but I'm wondering if it is in a bad area of town or not?

Anyone know? I'm just really concerned about safety in Miami....

I don't know about this particular hotel, but I'd be leary of anything with the word airport in the title. Some of the worst parts of Miami are right next to the airport. I would suggest staying well away from anything near there if you are concerned. I'd also stay out of southwest Miami. Hope this helps.

I will be staying at the JW Marriott Hotel Miami on Brickell Avenue, does anyone know if this is a safe area and what is around there? Thank you.:)

This is very nice and close to most things.

Hi Romy,

Stayed there a few times. Really liked it. Last time they upgraded us to a suite and it was great! They arranged all our transportation to the ship. It was a great start to a great vacation.

Thanks Fisical! I was so hoping to hear that. I didn't want to "just stay anywhere" since that's exactly what we wanted, something a little "special" to start off our vacation.

Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Thanks again,

Romy

Archived