Celebrity vs. Carnival

Parrothead420

What is your favorite cruise line for caribbean cruising?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite cruise line for caribbean cruising?

• Carnival
    • Celebrity
    • Princess
    • Royal Caribbean

I have a dilemma, I hope some members can help me with this decision.

My fiance and I have cruised 5 times on Carnival in as many years. We have had a great time on each one of these cruises. Now that we are a bit (just a bit) older (him 33, her 28) we are looking for something that is still a party but with a better class of passenger. The last Carnival cruise we were on left us feeling like we had been on a vacation in Detroit. We have come to realize that "formal nights" on carnival can mean anything from jeans and an old tee to a tux. What is missing in some peoples interpretation of "formal night" will probably continue to baffle me for the rest of my life.

I have heard from people that have sailed on RCL, Holland America, Princess, Cunard, etc.... But no one has put in their two cents about Celebrity. The price seems right and the Celebrity Century that has just been refurbished in June is a very tempting option for us.

I would love to hear some opinions on this question and/or hear from some members that have used both lines and can compare them.

Thanks & Happy Cruising!

Hi,

I can´t really compare them, but if you search Partytime, hairy breast competitions or constant background music, endless announcments- I would prefer Carnival. Elegent and more upscale is Celebrity. I sailed with Costa- the European Version of Carnival- once- but that was enough- okay I am ten years older than you both are-but...!

Formal with X - you will find 95 % really Formal- with matches with the elegant ships.

Maybe RCL is best for you- as its bit more " up" than Canrival/Costa and not that formal. I stick with X- even if I love those Radiance Class ships from RCI.

Happy Cruising

Michael

Celebrity is by far the best cruise line sailing from US ports. The service is top notch, the food is on par with gormet restaurants and the remaining services throughout the ship easily surpass what you would find on other cruise lines.

However that comment I would say for your age, the entertainment and atmosphere would be better for you on Royal Caribbean.

The night life on Celebrity is much more tame and adult, the nightlife on RCL is very hip, fun, and latenight.

Think of it as a more sophisticated Carnival, but less of a booze cruise.

Dave:eek:

I think that Century in the Caribbean with her shorter itineraries will skew a bit younger and probably have a bit more of a party atmosphere than most Celebrity sailings. It sounds like a good choice for you.

But I'm planning on three of those Century cruises in February and I'm flying from Detroit. Parrothead420: Please advise me when you don't want me to be there..:rolleyes:

My fiance and I have cruised 5 times on Carnival in as many years. We have had a great time on each one of these cruises. Now that we are a bit (just a bit) older (him 33, her 28) we are looking for something that is still a party but with a better class of passenger. The last Carnival cruise we were on left us feeling like we had been on a vacation in Detroit. We have come to realize that "formal nights" on carnival can mean anything from jeans and an old tee to a tux. What is missing in some peoples interpretation of "formal night" will probably continue to baffle me for the rest of my life.

I have heard from people that have sailed on RCL, Holland America, Princess, Cunard, etc.... But no one has put in their two cents about Celebrity. The price seems right and the Celebrity Century that has just been refurbished in June is a very tempting option for us.

I would love to hear some opinions on this question and/or hear from some members that have used both lines and can compare them.

Thanks & Happy Cruising!

After its recent refurbishment the Century, is by far, in the best condition of any of the Celebrity ships. The Century will not be as lively as what you are used to on Carnival. The Carnival fleet as a whole is much newer than the Celebrity fleet. I think you will find the Century a bit more formal than Carnival. A lot depends on when and where you are cruising to. For example on Alaskan cruises you will find that the crowd is a older and the night life ends a lot earlier. I enjoy trying different cruise lines just to experience other cruise ships.

I haven't ever cruised the Caribbean, oddly enough, but when I do, itinerary will be a much bigger criterion for me than cruiseline. From what I've seen, RCCI, Carnival and Princess ALL have more options and better itineraries than Celebrity. If I had to choose one right now, I'd choose the Princess cruise including the partial Panama Canal.

1a) Princess for overall enjoyment. Nice service, good/very good food, great pools, good selection of activities, great choices of entertainment.

1b) Celebrity from service standpoint, less crowded ships

2) Royal Caribbean good food, variety of activities and sports activities, mostly good service. (I didn't go, but DH enjoyed NCL about the same as RCCL, or a bit better)

3) HAL - less crowded ships, good food.

4) Carnival- mostly good food and service and cabins, but we didn't like many things.. like for the ships that large, they don't have adequate activities for PAX, so huge crowds are in pool areas and buffets at the same time.. also "Hairy chest contests" and such really turned me off.

1a) Princess for overall enjoyment. Nice service, good/very good food, great pools, good selection of activities, great choices of entertainment.

1b) Celebrity from service standpoint, less crowded ships

2) Royal Caribbean good food, variety of activities and sports activities, mostly good service. (I didn't go, but DH enjoyed NCL about the same as RCCL, or a bit better)

3) HAL - less crowded ships, good food.

4) Carnival- mostly good food and service and cabins, but we didn't like many things.. like for the ships that large, they don't have adequate activities for PAX, so huge crowds are in pool areas and buffets at the same time.. also "Hairy chest contests" and such really turned me off.

I appreciate the input! Im not much for the hairy chest contest either.

I appreciate the input! Im not much for the hairy chest contest either.

We are somewhat close to you in age 35,35 and almost 16 yo son. (34 when cruised on Princess)

Reading your post I thought Princess (for example Caribbean Princess) would suite you very well.

It has many advantages, such as 4-5 pools, so you can choose whatever you want to experience right now: 2 adult only quiet and classy ones, one pool with live music, another one with movie screen and other entertainment. All have abundance of loungers with pads and other nice once.

Maybe we were lucky, but PAX was much classier than on RCCL or Carnival.. We always dress for formal nights, but many passengers dressed very well (cocktail dresses!) even for regular ones.

You have a choice of traditional and anytime dining (2 restaurants for anytime) and service is very good.

Buffets with nice food are open almost 24 hours.

We are not big partiers, but had enough activities to keep us busy. There is nice basketball court and minigolf. Many bars and lounges with live music. Pools are open late in the night.

I love Celebrity, but feel, for the people of our age Princess might be a bit better fit. We also saw a lot of couples between early twenties and midd-late thirties.

I love Celebrity, but feel, for the people of our age Princess might be a bit better fit. We also saw a lot of couples between early twenties and mid-late thirties.

I would probably agree. I'm about to graduate to HAL. We used to be around the youngest on board HAL when we first started cruising 15 years ago. We found ourselves in the middle of the pack on Celebrity but now we're creeping up there ... my wife is 5 years behind me and she thinks I'm galloping ahead...;)

Many of the discussions on dress code I believe is part of the age factor.. I never grew up with casual Fridays and worked in a slightly more formal setting. Younger people seem to have a much more casual and relaxed attitude to such things. (this is an observation and not meant to criticize either side of that debate.)

When we sailed with our son and daughter and grandchildren on RCL's Voyager last year, we saw similar differences in attitudes.

Thanks & Happy Cruising!

We did a family reunion cruise on the Century this past Easter. We absolutely love Celebrity (have more or less given up on Carnival given the reasons you sited). Our entire family loved Century. Given it's shorter itinerary, it's a livelier crowd, but more refined. Service was wonderful, ship was beautiful, fellow passengers very nice and courteous...I can't say enough good things about the ship. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

also "Hairy chest contests" and such really turned me off.

I truly can't imagine that being a reason not to sail on a line! I'm not into "hairy chest contests" either, but you don't notice them unless you choose to attend. I've sailed Carnival 3 times and never seen a hairy chest contest. Aside from a mention in the daily, I never even knew they were going on.

There are plenty of activities on Celebrity (and I would imagine any other line, too) that are of no interest to me. I just skip them. I would never let their very existence dissuade me from sailing on the line!

I truly can't imagine that being a reason not to sail on a line! I'm not into "hairy chest contests" either, but you don't notice them unless you choose to attend. I've sailed Carnival 3 times and never seen a hairy chest contest. Aside from a mention in the daily, I never even knew they were going on.

There are plenty of activities on Celebrity (and I would imagine any other line, too) that are of no interest to me. I just skip them. I would never let their very existence dissuade me from sailing on the line!

This is not something that was easy to avoid. It was not like Quest on RCCL scheduled in separate area. It was in the main pool area. We had more than 2 events with questionable contest.

It wasn't only reason not to sail with Carnival again. I absolutely hated how overcrowded buffet was during breakfast and lunch. Hours were limited, lunch 12-2, so everybody was trying to eat almost at the same time. Ship was very congested everywhere, starting from crowds at embarkation.

I also didn't get why Carnival was called "Fun" ships? It was really boring trip with not much to do.. or see. I don't see any reasons to pick this cruise lines over RCCL or Princess if you're looking for fun.

I am getting into those golden years so I am a wee bit older then you, we just came back from Enchantment of the seas RCI it was one of the best cruises. This was our 22nd cruise & this was the best staff. We all thought that they took happy pills in the monring. I have sailed on Celebrity, RCI, Princess, HAL, & NCL. Cannot comment on Carnival have never sailed & right now have no intention. I would look at ininerary first, then look at the ship, cabins & what is available. The only cruise line we will not sail on again is NCL because DH did not like the anytime dining. Each cruise line has it own niche & can be very different.

'Sure can't blame you for ditching Carnival ... and I would recommend Princess or Celebrity. I think, well I know, that the age of the crowd will depend alot on the length of the cruise (the longer/the older) and the time of year.

BTW, Drew -- I have been drooling over Celebrity's Caribbean itineraries. January 2009 - here we come.

Not exactly sure what the "Detroit" remark is supposed to mean, seems like a rather vague and very negative generalization. I am not sure I would want someone who thought that way on a cruise with me.

And this is not a negative generalization????

I love Salty 'dogs sense of humor!

Since you mentioned in your OP that it is still your intent to be on a party ship, albeit a classier one, I think RCCL is your best bet. I don't know how much more upscale RCCL is since I have never cruised Carnival. The decor alone makes me want to sleep with the light on.

:D Try them all...

I would give the Century a try. It sounds like you would have a great time. I would also give RCCL, Princess, and HAL a try as well. I think that all cruise lines have something good to offer!

I agree with your thoughts on Carnival and wish people overall would dress up more and almost fell out of my chair when the Social Director guy (not CD) told the passengers on my Elation cruise in Feb that it was ok to wear jeans in the dining room...:rolleyes: but I didn't let what other people were wearing ruin my cruise.

Also, while that hairy chest contest is going on there are usually other activities going on at the same time - like maybe the art auction or a wine tasting, etc. There are announcements on every cruise, some will have more than others, it's up to the captian/cd. For example, my RCCL cruise in April had a ton of announcements....yikes they were always trying to sell you something and my Elation cruise only had the one a day with the captian telling ship position, etc.

Sorry I am getting off tangent:p but definitely go for the Century...why not! Century...starring you! I LOVE the new Celebrity commercials!!

Archived