Do you "tip"the Captain?

Can anyone let me know if you are suposed to "tip" the captain for performing a wedding at sea? What about the piano player? We are getting married on the Grand Princess in November, and would appreciate any insight.

Maybe it's just me....but if I were the captain of a cruise ship liner, a pretty important position, and someone handed me $20, $40, $100 in a tip, I would be pretty insulted!

Personally, I think the captain would be honored to perform a wedding ceremony for you, on board his ship...

If you feel compelled to express your gratitude, how about a nice bottle of wine or champagne, or maybe a bouquet, with a "thank you, we will never forget you" note attached?

We were married by an officiant, not the captain. The officiant messed up the wording so bad, so no she did not get a tip, but she got alot of dirty looks from me!

We did tip the D.J. $50.00, and our 2 wedding coordinators, and 2 servers $20 each.

Thanks Sas80..I REALLY like the idea of the wine and thank you note..That is something that we WILL do!!

You are very welcome! It just seems a lot more classy to me....after all, he is the captain of a HUGE ocean cruise liner! Not a valet returning your car....right? ;)

Congrats & Happy Sailing!

A Captain cannot legally marry you, it will be an officiant or you will be provided a Justice of the Peace for the ceremony before the ship sails.

I certainly could be wrong but, IIRC, Princess cruise lines offers marriages at sea, performed by the captain...right?

I certainly could be wrong but, IIRC, Princess cruise lines offers marriages at sea, performed by the captain...right?

You are correct Sas80, I think Princess is the only one that does this. We will be married at 3:30PM on our first day at sea...somewhere between Florida and Jamaica ! A few fellow passengers on our roll call for the cruise are going to help fillup the chapel ! ( We only have 2 friends sailing with us)

Tipping the Captain would be like tipping the President! No--don't tip! Tips are for "service personnel", not the head of the ship, company, country, etc...!

We could start an interesting and acrimonious (sp??) thread as to whether the current occupant of the White House deserves a tip.

DON

You are correct Sas80, I think Princess is the only one that does this. We will be married at 3:30PM on our first day at sea...somewhere between Florida and Jamaica ! A few fellow passengers on our roll call for the cruise are going to help fillup the chapel ! ( We only have 2 friends sailing with us)

This sounds very romantic!

Archived