QE2 "Breaks Down"

Cruachan

- does anyone know what a MAN man is - and in this instance, I'm asking for a legit definition (or whatever HappyScot chooses to make of it ;))

Morrie,

I'll explain about Man man when we get together in person. Can't talk about it on here! <G>

Karie,

who lives just up the street, sort of! We're safe. Happyscot can't spell it, so he'll never find us!<LOL>

I just got email from a friend whose boyfriend used to work on the Sun Deck of the QE2. Her quote says:

Did you know our QE2 was floating around for a while

outside Dubrovnik yesterday -- they sent for the MAN

man (they used to have one aboard. And, no, I do not

know what the MAN man is -- shall ask)) - but I do not

know how it was resolved....but by twilight there she

was under way again....

Perhaps Roger will know more when he returns from England - does anyone know what a MAN man is - and in this instance, I'm asking for a legit definition (or whatever HappyScot chooses to make of it ;))

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Manman.........................

He does if he goes to jail in England. Curiously jails are exempt from the smoking ban.

Jimmy

Thank goodness...so if they ever ban smoking from the world I"ll have a place to go??:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

I just got email from a friend whose boyfriend used to work on the Sun Deck of the QE2. Her quote says:

was under way again....

Perhaps Roger will know more when he returns from England - does anyone know what a MAN man is - and in this instance, I'm asking for a legit definition (or whatever HappyScot chooses to make of it ;))

The QE2 is powered by nine 9L58/64 engines, generating a combined output of 132000 bhp. They are made by MAN B&W Diesel GmbH Augsburg, Germany.

I can only assume that the problem eminated form the engines, and thus they required the 'MAN' man to attend to sort the problem, (as opposed to the AA man!).

This is pure speculation on my part, but it is the only logical reason that I can think of why they would need a MAN man!

Regards,

David

was under way again....

The QE2 is powered by nine 9L58/64 engines, generating a combined output of 132000 bhp. They are made by MAN B&W Diesel GmbH Augsburg, Germany.

I can only assume that the problem eminated form the engines, and thus they required the 'MAN' man to attend to sort the problem, (as opposed to the AA man!).

This is pure speculation on my part, but it is the only logical reason that I can think of why they would need a MAN man!

Regards,

David

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me:confused:

One of the engines is usually in stripdown or rebuild, maybe two others are on standby and six are in use. So a problem with one engine isn't really a problem.

On a transatlantic a number of years ago we were told by the Chief Engineer that he had been woken up, by the bridge, the night before because they were down to five working engines and he told them to "b*@@$r-off, five was more than enough." Also told us she left Southampton once with only one engine runing (no lights or aircon though). they were off Isle of Wight before they got a second started and nearly 24hours before they got them all going.

So I'd be surprised if it was an engine problem. (But I've been wrong before and will probably be wrong again sometime:) )

Regards, Colin.

I have been told that the engineer sent out to fix said rudder was a Mr Flounder. What a great name for a man to be sent to a vessel with steering problems.

The BBC news site were reporting that Mr Flounder was the Cunard Spokesman who gave them the news item. Still a good one though :)

Jimmy

Given the latest breakdown and the alarms going off because of a problem (as mentioned the in this thread). I am beginning to wonder how safe she is. I adore QE2, but safety comes first. We are booked for an 08 farewell crossing but now having second thoughts. Its one thing to break down in the Med but a whole different story with the North Atlantic

Given the latest breakdown and the alarms going off because of a problem (as mentioned the in this thread). I am beginning to wonder how safe she is. I adore QE2, but safety comes first. We are booked for an 08 farewell crossing but now having second thoughts. Its one thing to break down in the Med but a whole different story with the North Atlantic

I think people panic far too much. Unfortunately, we have heard of all sorts of mechanical failures on various other ships on other lines all this year and almost all of these ships are newer than the QE2. In fact on the QM2 last year we had an issue with some azipod doors that caused us to slow down and arrive at one of our ports late. One breakdown of equipment is not enough to make me worry about cancelling a cruise in the future on a ship that has proven itself more than enough times.

I was on the cruise immediately before this one - just returned home from Europe this weekend - and I can say that the QE2 is still in great condition and operated perfectly. There was no issues whatsoever during the cruise.

I am obviously glad this incident did not happen to me and I do feel sorry for those affected on this cruise. I am keeping my fingers crossed for those about to embark on the fabulous 40th Anniversary Cruise around the UK. It should be a blast and I hope all the machinery operates flawlessly for you.

David

Don't worry QM2 will be there to save us.

It is not uncommon for ships to break down, there is one every other week that will break down, hit something or get bashed by the weather. These things happen, QE2 is still a mechanical thing and they do break.

In fact when she was just built she spent a good deal of time not going anywhere because of boiler and turbine problems. She is more reliable now than she was new.

She is safe, don't worry about that. She is Lloyds A1 listed and has passed all international UK and US safety inspections. The US coastguard in particular would be happy to complain about any issues they had with foreign registered ship!

HappyScot,QE2 is fitted with MAN diesel engines(nine of them)and the MAN man is the MAN engineer.

Hope he has done a good job as we will be aboard on Saturday,:D

It's just more fun to say "The MAN man" than "The Engineer from the MAN Engine Company". :)

A return to the old days. Mechanical problems that left QE2 stranded were fairly common in the steam turbine days. Even after the new engines were installed, there were occasional problems. In the 1990s, I was on a crossing when she went adrift in the North Atlantic. A bug in the computer software kept turning the power off. As a result, we were sitting around in candle light with a gale drawing near. Luckily, they fixed the problem in time. In 1991, she threw something in the propellor shaft arrangement as she was about to depart the pier and could not leave Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) for a day until a part was flown in. Then, the ship blew up one of the diesel engines during a Norwegian cruise back in the 1990s and that eventually had to be replaced. (As has been pointed out in an earlier reply, the ship gets along fine without all of her engines). Then, there was the time that they could not raise the stern anchor, delaying the departure from one of the Caribbean islands. So, this type of thing is not that unusual.

I was on the (then) Radisson Mariner in the Baltics a number of years ago and about 2 hours after departing Stockholm the ship came to a dead stop. The steering had failed and we had to wait 'til an engineer from France could be brought aboard and fix the problem.

Now, I'm on the last transatlantic of QE2...it would be nice if 3 days out the ship would just decide to "stop".

:D

HI

one should not forget, that the engines, even from this very popular and well known for quality firm, are not more than 20 years old. So anything can happen anytime I guess.

40 years is a long time for an ocean liner- without dout QE2 could be named the " old reliable". ( a titel the sister ship of the ill fatet Titanic, the Olympic got)

Archived