Emerald Princess or Brilliance of Seas for Med cruise?

Hi experienced Med cruisers,

Has anyone here been lucky enough to cruise both ships in the Mediterranean? I'm trying to decide between the Brilliance of the Seas and Emerald Princess for my 14 yr old son and I next summer. I'm a Platinum member with Princess so am leaning towards the Emerald Princess but have read so many rave reviews about Brilliance.

The similar ports on both cruises sound great but I like that Princess offers Venice. It offers less sea days so I'm wondering if it's too port intensive. The Brilliance cruise we're considering is roundtrip from Barcelona stopping at Monaco-Florence-Rome-Mykonos-Santorini-Kusadasi-Athens-Naples but offers more at sea days which might make for a more restful cruise.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!!

I haven't been on the Emerald but I have the Brilliance and a huge point in it's favor is the ton of glass all over the ship so no matter where you are they are amazing views. Even the elevator in the centrum is glass and faces out to the sea. It is a wonderful ship with a wonderful crew and some of the best service ever experienced.

I haven't been on the Emerald Princess (only the Grand and Golden) nor the Brilliance, but I can tell you that to sail into or out of Venice on a cruise ship is just amazing. That alone would swing it for me!

Me, too! And, I've been on the Brilliance, too!

I would take any itinerary with Venice.

We were on the Brilliance in early June with our 14 year old son and it was truly the trip of a lifetime for all of us. Our son really enjoyed the teen activities and meeting up with the other teens, and after spending the day as a family in the ports (our 20 year old son also was on the trip), it was nice for my husband and me to share some time together before and after dinner with the boys. We had family time and some time alone to see the shows, etc. The Brilliance offers that because many kids are on the cruise and there is a lot for them to do. I'm not sure Princess offers as much for teens and that was why we chose Royal Caribbean.

Brilliance was perfect for our family because of the wide variety of programs and activities and we all had a fantastic time.

I haven't been on the Emerald Princess (only the Grand and Golden) nor the Brilliance, but I can tell you that to sail into or out of Venice on a cruise ship is just amazing. That alone would swing it for me!

Starbright,

Thanks for your input. I've heard Venice is incredible. So I assume you took a Princess cruise to the Med? Where else did your cruise go after it left Venice?

I haven't been on the Emerald but I have the Brilliance and a huge point in it's favor is the ton of glass all over the ship so no matter where you are they are amazing views. Even the elevator in the centrum is glass and faces out to the sea. It is a wonderful ship with a wonderful crew and some of the best service ever experienced.

Sue L,

Thanks! Did you do a Med cruise on the Brilliance?

We were on the Brilliance in early June with our 14 year old son and it was truly the trip of a lifetime for all of us. Our son really enjoyed the teen activities and meeting up with the other teens, and after spending the day as a family in the ports (our 20 year old son also was on the trip), it was nice for my husband and me to share some time together before and after dinner with the boys. We had family time and some time alone to see the shows, etc. The Brilliance offers that because many kids are on the cruise and there is a lot for them to do. I'm not sure Princess offers as much for teens and that was why we chose Royal Caribbean.

Brilliance was perfect for our family because of the wide variety of programs and activities and we all had a fantastic time.

BINGO!....so glad to hear from someone traveling with a 14 yr old!

I read Brilliance might be a bit more kid friendly and wondered if the teen clubs did much to introduce them. Is your son outgoing?? My son is a bit shy at first and traveling without a buddy the same age might be hard. I was hoping we'd be seated at meals with kids his age so it'd be easier for him.

Did you notice that Brilliance itineraries alternate between the Venice route and the Greek Isles route?

Myself, DH and DS (14) have booked on her for next August - we sailed Serenade and loved her so we know we'll love Brilliance too!

Yes, I did...but don't want to give up Athens although Tunis sounds VERY interesting. Which one are you doing????

BINGO!....so glad to hear from someone traveling with a 14 yr old!

I read Brilliance might be a bit more kid friendly and wondered if the teen clubs did much to introduce them. Is your son outgoing?? My son is a bit shy at first and traveling without a buddy the same age might be hard. I was hoping we'd be seated at meals with kids his age so it'd be easier for him.

Our son is not very outgoing, but he has been on 2 cruises with us (Brilliance and Navigator) and had a really great time on both. We were a bit worried on his first cruise (Navigator) because there were not as many kids his age on the ship, but after the 1st day, those who were his age (13 at the time) got together in the Living Room/Optix each evening and had a wonderful time. The counselors were great! On the Brilliance he was very comfortable meeting other kids and again had a great time...Our kids (older one is a college student) are so happy cruising because they meet other kids/college students, that they are not interested in land trips anymore!

We've learned as parents if they're happy...we're happy...so we are very sensitive to whether there is a good teen program on the ship for the younger one. We have loved cruising Princess, ourselves, but with a teen its Royal Caribbean hands-down. Europe is also very port-intensive and can be quite tiring, especially for the adults, so it is nice that the 14 year old can look forward to seeing his friends while the parents relax.

I will add that I agree totally with the other posters about Venice...It was one of the highlights of our trip! If you can arrange your itinerary to include Venice it is really worth it...

Hi Cadburysmom:

Our cruise began in Venice (we overnighted on the ship). The itinerary that followed was: Dubrovnik (loved that), Kusadasi (for Ephesus - wonderful!), Corfu, Piraus (for Athens), Katakolon (for Olympia), Mykonos, Santorini, Naples, Civittavechia (for Rome). Can't remember in which order we visited the ports, but these were the ones included.

The cruise actually finished in Civittavechia and we stayed on for a couple of nights in Rome.

We loved this cruise and I'm sure we'll do something similar again sometime. Next year we're doing the Western Med on Sea Princess.

Did you notice that Brilliance itineraries alternate between the Venice route and the Greek Isles route?

Myself, DH and DS (14) have booked on her for next August - we sailed Serenade and loved her so we know we'll love Brilliance too!

Yes, this is what I was going to suggest also. The Brilliance does Venice.

I have done 2 sailings on Brilliance and would go again in a heart beat!

Going on the Emerald this December. Doing the Caribbean. I'll let you know the comparison.

I do favor RCCL!

Archived