Carnival vs. HAL w/ 12 yr. old

kaiiak

Thinking about booking a Mexican Riviera cruise in April. Carnival Spirit and HAL Oosterdam are roughly the same prices. We are not sure which would suit our tastes better.

Some background info....We have traveled on Princess in the past and LOVED it! We were not impressed w/ Norwegian (lack of activities and poor customer service) We're pretty down to earth people from Los Angeles, and I'm a teacher so I'm used to being around a bunch of kids - not a bother. We are also interested in a good kid's club for our son to visit on occasion.

Any suggestions/experiences with the two lines??

Thanks!!!

This might help....

What is the average age of passengers by cruise line?

Passenger ages vary somewhat by sailing, but usually they are as follows:

Carnival Cruise Line: 0 - 45 years of age

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: 25 - 55 years of age

Crystal Cruise Line: 55+ years of age

Celebrity Cruise Line: 35 - 64 years of age

Norwegian Cruise Line: 27 - 56 years of age

Holland America Cruises: 30 - 60 years of age

Princess Cruise Line: 35 to 65 years of age

We've done both - Carnival and Holland America. While Holland America does not have the number of kids on Carnival, they have a pretty darn good children's program. Our grandkids went to all of the activities and loved it.

Twelve years old - hard to tell. I think it mainly depends on how the child mixes with other children on board.

Been on HAL, Princess, and Carnival (yes, and NCL :eek: ) with kids and while we loved the first three lines, there's just no comparison from a kid's eye point of view. My impression and a consensus choice from the younger generation.

HAL does have a very nice childrens program. But 12 yrs old, is a tough age for a kids program. Most of them at that age, tend not to do everything with the program.

Overall, I'd say pick carnival because they have more activities he might enjoy.

slide, minigolf, arcade. Plus carnival usually has many more kids.

Thanks for the info. My husband is leaning towards HAL, but my son wants Carnival. I have mixed feelings about both lines, but I know either way we'll have a great time (how can you not on a cruise :) !!!??).

--Kristi

Archived