Embarkation: 2:00pm at the earliest?

Sheldon47

We received our cruise documents today.

They state….. SHIP BOARDING TIME: For your comfort and convenience we recommend you arrive at the pier no earlier than 02:00pm.

Almost everything I have read on this board recommends arriving between 11:00am and noon.

Our ship is scheduled to depart at 5:00pm from San Diego. Does the San Diego port board cruises later? Or do all cruise documents encourage a 2:00pm or later arrival?

I understand what the docs say...but most go a lot earlier...my feeling is ...if they are going to count the day you board, day one...then I want to get the most out of that day or else it's really a six day cruise not a seven day cruise. Thus far RCI has been pretty great in accommodating us by 11:30-12:00, and opening the cabins up by 1:00. That is acceptable to me. If they started not letting us on until after two, I'd start to question day one and start calling it our first less than half day, since fourteen hours have passed already...and there are only ten hours left of that day:confused:

Cruise documents for pretty much every cruise line tell you to check in MUCH later than you can actually check in. I guess they play the percentages, and hope that at least SOME people read that and believe it, to stagger embarkation and help to avoid long lines.

That said, I typically arrive at a pier after noon anyway, I don't like the 10:30-noon crowds and like to arrive after embarkation has started. San Diego, though, is generally a very easy cruise embarkation pier, so if you feel like you WANT to be earlier you shouldn't have a huge wait. As stated, most staterooms aren't available until 1:00 or so, so if you want to be able to drop off your carry on bags before heading to lunch it sometimes pays to arrive around 12:00-12:30.

It usually means your cabin will not be ready until then, you will be lugging your carry ons around until the official time. They had our cabins roped off and we just went up to the buffet to eat until the official time they allow you into the cabins.

Yes, you are onboard before then, no you are not in your cabin before then.

We usually arrive around 11, usually you are able to board in a short time. However, if the previous sailing's passengers are delayed in their departure, due to a late arrival in port, customs or immigration problems, etc. You may have a couple hour wait, so be prepared if you arrive earlier than noon.

As a side note, all of the RCL Cruise Compass' show that the Windjammer is open for lunch starting at 11:30; I think that is a pretty good indicator for arriving around 11 to 11:30.

Ella are you from San Diego, we will be going our Oct 11, 2008 to Hawaii on the ROS. I live in So Calif but will be staying with many of our roll Call group night before, at the HI Bayside. Some have suggested we go over around 11 to 11:30. Except for our last cruise we have been to the cruise terminals by Noon. Of three cruises, we have been on, we have been able to put our carry on's in the room upon boarding, before 1 PM, and eating lunch.

I always tell people to arrive at 2pm, so its less crowded for me when I get there at 10 and so it will be less crowded at the WJ. I will be done eating by 2.

So my recommendation is to follow what the cruise line recommends and arrive around 2.

Almost all cruise docs will state to board at 2pm, but as you can see, many people board earlier.

May I suggest you board later and enjoy a bit of San Diego that day, especially if you are spending the night the night before. Have your hotel hold your luggage, or keep your rental car (or if you're driving, your own car!) or, have all your bags checked in to the ship, no carry ons.

Even right at the cruise port there is a lot to see and do. Or, take the Old Town Trolley for the day, have a tour of the city. I live about an hour or so north of San Diego and love spending time there, it's got a lot of character :)

I know a lot of people are anxious to board the ship, but there are a few places that enjoying the city in the area of the cruise port is by far preferrable. San Diego, Seattle, Honolulu, Vancouver are just a few. We've only cruised out of Miami once, it seemed the cruise port was fairly far removed to easily tour the area on foot.

You'll have days to enjoy the ship, but don't miss these places (and others I haven't seen yet :) )

Ella are you from San Diego, we will be going our Oct 11, 2008 to Hawaii on the ROS.
Gwoodman, no, I'm in Orange County, but I've embarked on a cruise (HAL) in San Diego. It was a Pacific Coastal, took the train to San Diego and flew home from Vancouver. We probably arrived at the port at about 1:00 that day, after walking over from the train station, and literally were on the ship within 10 minutes. Granted, that was only a LEG of a longer repositioning cruise, so they didn't have tons of people to embark there, but it was very quick.

I'd say your plan to arrive between 11:00 and 11:30 is a good one, since the entire cruise is embarking in San Diego, if you really want to be on the ship early. I'm not sure about getting the carry ons to your room before 1:00 (unless you want to open the fire doors, they seem to be keeping those closed on most ships now to really deter folks from dropping off bags earlier).

And as Happy Ks notes, San Diego IS a great city to explore if you don't want to get there so early. Since you're a So Cal person I'm guessing you've spent plenty of time in San Diego, so you may be more interested in getting on the ship.

Have a great cruise! :)

When we took the Sun Princess, April 2006 out of Ft Lauderdale for a 17 Panama, our Transfer Bus from the Hotel left at 1PM. That is the latest we have ever arrived at a Cruise Terminal and there were hardly anyone around. We walked right up to our Deck check in and on board in 15 min. Our previous 2 cruises, 2002 & 2004, we had our carry on luggage in the room before we went to lunch. But then things could have changed. Normally we would drive down day of cruise, but our Roll Call is having a Pre Cruise dinner and BDay Celebration for one of the women. Thank You for the Cruise wishes, I only hope 13 months go quickly.

Gay So Calif

We usually arrive an hour or so before the cruise is scheduled to leave.

We avoid the "I'm first" crowd and don't have to spend an hour or so tripping over everyones carry-on luggage. We generally eat a late breakfast so we don't mind missing lunch. You could have snacks delivered to your cabin so you can have something when you arrive.

If you have a concierge you won't have to worry about making spa appointments or dinner reservations at any of the specialities, another reason that people tend to want to board early.

Archived