Internet Prices & Blackberry

DD

Does anyone know the current prices for internet useage on the QM2?

Also, have you taken your blackberry onboard the QM2 recently. I have a new one that I have never used overseas. I have an unlimited data plan for outside of the US; however, this article scares me!

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzappl0908,0,2929341.story

Apparently this guy racked up almost 5k in charges just by having his iPhone with him on a cruise. He didn't even have it turned on most of the time.

Any personal experiences? I'm wondering if I should just leave it home and get another unlocked cell phone and use a SIM card. My primary reason for wanting to bring it with me is to stay in contact back home while I'm traveling in Europe pre-cruise. Once I'm on the cruise, I wasn't planning on trying to use it. Now I'm a bit scared to even have it in my possession on the ship!

A couple of things you need to know. An I-phone and its rates are not the same as a Blackberry or any other phone and data plan.

If you have paid for an unlimited international data plan, that should cover you. Make sure that it is not for certain countries only. I know the regular (non-packaged) rates are higher for certain countries. For instance, when Marc went to Poland, it was twice the rate for Western Europe. And it was not included in the discount package if you bought that.

If you are not sure, call AT&T.

Do you have corporate email or just personal email on your Blackberry? Can you stop it from being sent while you are gone, or do you actually want to do that? As far as I know, on a Blackberry. if the phone is off, the messages are being sent to your server (email or corporate BB server) but they are only being downloaded to the actual device when you turn it on. (Try letting your battery run down, charge it up and watch all of the "pent up" messages fly once you turn it back on!)

I am not really up on the charges, as I don't work with that, but afaik, if it isn't on, it isn't getting charged for downloads- Again, the i-phone is an entirely different animal. Everything is different about that. Even AT&T employees get no discount on plans, usage or the phone itself. We have to pay the same consumer price everyone pays! And sign up for the same 2 year agreement!

If you've read all the small print and talked to customer care and you are still concerned, send an email to at&t through the website and ask them so that you have everything in writing! The web page can also tel you where your phone will work (if it is quad band, most of Europe, a lot of Asia, most of South America and the Caribbean) Of course, that is all subject to getting signal, and it won't work on the ship except in port or very close to shore.

I think we got a recent email or something with a special number to call if we had any problems while international roaming. I don't see it on my latest bill insert (I was about to pay my bill!) so check the web page or call customer care.

That's the best I can offer. I will try to email a friend in customer care about the article and get their answer!

Karie,

Switch Tech

At&t wireless (formerly Cingular)

P.S. My Blackberry which is the original 7280 worked like a charm WAY out from coming into port in Grand cayman. Started downloading and scared me right out of bed, vibrating on a glass table top!

No matter which US cell service I've used overseas, it's still more expensive than using a UK prepaid calling card.

How do you use this card? Is this a card you use pay phones, or are you talking about buying a prepaid SIM for your own cell?

I have an unlocked cell, and want to get a prepaid SIM to use in the UK (and possibly Europre) in Dec. Any ideas about where/when/how to get such a SIM?

I read that article. I had no idea those phones did things for you even while they were off. There ought to be settings that could be changed so that the used could avoid those charges.

Kathy

Thanks for the input. I should've clarified. I have Verizon.

In that case, unless you phone also has GSM, it will not work in Europe. Additionally, it will not work in a lot of South America.

Europe's phone standard is GSM or 3G. Verizon's technology is CDMA (data is CDMA2000 or EV-DO ) i-phone is exclusive to AT&T and cannot be used on a CDMA plan. Best bet is to buy or rent a GSM phone and get, as Babette suggested, a pre-paid SIM card. Make sure you buuy a phone which is not locked/ This is locked to a particular provide, usually because they have subsidized the cost of the phone. When you get offers for a phone for $50 or $100, rest assured that is not what the phone really cost. Either the carrier directly subsidized the cost of the phone or they made some sort of arrangement with the manufacturer. As a result, they put software that only allows the phone to be used with that carrier's service. With GSM/3G it is through the se of a SIM card. With CDMA, I believe it is all still through an ESN or electronic serial number.

Karie,

who is sorry she isn't totally up on all of the new gadgets, such as the new Verizon BB. Afaik, it does not have any GSM component.

QM2 does not offer cell phone service onboard like some other cruise lines. Wireless internet service requires that you log onto the QM2 server in order to access the internet. You have to go to the computer center and set up your account with password etc. before you can get online. (I used my Palm TX on the QM2.) You should be OK when you are at sea.

In that case, unless you phone also has GSM, it will not work in Europe. Additionally, it will not work in a lot of South America.

Europe's phone standard is GSM or 3G. Verizon's technology is CDMA (data is CDMA2000 or EV-DO ) i-phone is exclusive to AT&T and cannot be used on a CDMA plan. Best bet is to buy or rent a GSM phone and get, as Babette suggested, a pre-paid SIM card. Make sure you buuy a phone which is not locked/ This is locked to a particular provide, usually because they have subsidized the cost of the phone. When you get offers for a phone for $50 or $100, rest assured that is not what the phone really cost. Either the carrier directly subsidized the cost of the phone or they made some sort of arrangement with the manufacturer. As a result, they put software that only allows the phone to be used with that carrier's service. With GSM/3G it is through the se of a SIM card. With CDMA, I believe it is all still through an ESN or electronic serial number.

Karie,

who is sorry she isn't totally up on all of the new gadgets, such as the new Verizon BB. Afaik, it does not have any GSM component.

The new Verizon BB 8830 does have GSM. That's its major selling feature. It switches back and forth, supposedly without user assistance, between CDMA and GSM.

Does anyone know the current prices for internet useage on the QM2?

From our June cruise:

$0.50 per minute OR you can pre-purchase a package

1/2 hour - $13.50

1 hour - $24.95

2 hours - $47.95

4 hours - $89.95

8 hours - $167.95

12 hours - $229.95

16 hours - $287.95

32 hours - $479.95

Archived