Another renewal of vows question

robanddiane

After getting lots of positive reports regarding the renewal of vows we are definately interested however we have been told taht the renewal of vows might have to be done as a group which we are really unsure about as we would like this to be a private moment for the two of us. Can someone please advise how the process works as a group as I cannot understand how it can be done.

After getting lots of positive reports regarding the renewal of vows we are definately interested however we have been told taht the renewal of vows might have to be done as a group which we are really unsure about as we would like this to be a private moment for the two of us. Can someone please advise how the process works as a group as I cannot understand how it can be done.

That was a concern of ours, too; we are doing it on our cruise in Nov. Every post I've been able to check out concerning the vow renewal has said that the ceremony was just the people involved. Another post that I read led me to believe that if there were a group of couples doing the vow renewal that each ceremony was still done for the individual couples. I hope that this is correct, if anyone else has any input on this issue I would certainly appreciate it.:)

P.S. I ordered ours on the phone from Princess and I have an email receipt from them, but it doesn't show up anywhere that I can find on the Princess website nor was there anything about it in our cruise packet that came yesterday(yippee!!!). Our TA says it shows up in her computer system, but I guess I'm just worrying because it's not in our Cruise Personalizer anywhere:confused:

robanddiane,

The only reports that I have heard about a group renewal was on the Valentine's Day sailing when it is done in the Atirum.

Every other report (from here on the boards, friends and our own personal experience) is of a private ceremony.

I would say that it'll most likely be private. But if you are concerned, speak to the event coordinator at the pursar's desk once you board and confirm the arrangement.

That was a concern of ours, too; we are doing it on our cruise in Nov. Every post I've been able to check out concerning the vow renewal has said that the ceremony was just the people involved. Another post that I read led me to believe that if there were a group of couples doing the vow renewal that each ceremony was still done for the individual couples. I hope that this is correct, if anyone else has any input on this issue I would certainly appreciate it.:)

P.S. I ordered ours on the phone from Princess and I have an email receipt from them, but it doesn't show up anywhere that I can find on the Princess website nor was there anything about it in our cruise packet that came yesterday(yippee!!!). Our TA says it shows up in her computer system, but I guess I'm just worrying because it's not in our Cruise Personalizer anywhere:confused:

We did the vow renewal 2004. It was our 30th Ann and we took our adult kids with us. I wanted it on our actual wedding date . I thought that when you purchased this it would be for the date we requested and was told after we got on the ship that they would tell us when the Capt would be available. Not to be picky but it would not have had the same meaning to us on a different date. They were very accomodating and gave us a private ceremony on our actual wedding date at 6:00 pm that evening,,,,It was perfect!!! And dont worry they have your info it does not show up on the Personalizer. Enjoy You will all be creating a beautiful memory for your lifetime!

I have the same concerns - We will be with our family on an Alaska sailing on the Star Aug 3rd. I called Princess to ask about how the ceremony is done...I was told that Princess will not guarantee a ceremony just for you, and will not guarantee the date or the time.

My reading of the posts on this board leads me to believe that the Alaska cruises have many, many family groups - (especially the Seattle rt. ,as ours)

I don't want to be part of a 'group' ceremony, I want to be able to pick the day (a 'sea day - not when we're in Port) and the time - probably around 4- 5 PM, before dinner - so we'll have time for photos and cocktails after the ceremony and not feel rushed.

This will be our 50th and we will have all our children and grandchildren aboard (17 Pax)

I would appreciate anyone's comments about my concerns????

Thanks! Renee

We had a vow renewal on board Golden in the Carribean. There were five couples renewing their vows. We all met together in the bar beforehand, and were given a glass of champagne, but each couple was taken into the chapel alone for a private ceremony. It was lovely.

Don't worry if it's not on your personaliser - the information will be waiting for you in your cabin.

GottoCruise: We weren't given any choice as to when the ceremony would be. There was a letter waiting for us in our cabin giving the date and time for the ceremony, although it did say to contact the purser's office if it wasn't convenient. Ours took place in the early evening after a day in St Lucia. It wasn't a formal night but we dressed up anyway, as did the other couples.

I think they try to make renewal ceremonies personal if possible; but most often all the renewal couples are told what day and time to show up and they spend about 10-15 minutes one after the other doing the ceremonies. IMO, it is fairly likely that you will get a private renewal ceremony, but not very likely that you can pick the actual day. (It seems they often try to schedule these on sea days, too.)

If you are on a cruise with a lot of couples renewing, like the Valentines day one mentioned above, I would think you run a much higher risk of not having a private ceremony. Probably also harder in June??

On our cruise on the Grand, the day and time of the ceremony was moved three times due to an earlier emergency on the ship, and the organizer was quite apologetic for all the changes and sent a nice flower arrangment as an apology. The ceremony finally occurred on the last sea day with the Staff Captain instead of the Ship's Captain, who was still busy filling out reports. The ceremony was private, and there were three couples all waiting outside the chapel and they took each one after the other.

If you want to ensure a private ceremony and specific day, I would think you might have to book an actual wedding package which allows you to make those arrangments.

When did they take the (I free framed??) photo?? I would like to have a group photo with all my family...........Is that possible?

Yes, it's very possible.

They took many, many pictures before, during and after the ceremony including setting up a few group shots for us. They left them at the photo gallery, we were able to look through them and choose our favorite (we bought some of the others as well). There was a choice of frame too. :)

We renewed for our 10th on the Carribean Princess with our two children then 7 and 5. As the previous posters said, there may be several couples, but they take you into the chapel one at at time. It was very beautiful and moving. They will take several photo's, one of which will be free, and framed. You also will recieve a written document of the vows the captian says for a momento. The photographer took many pictures, even one with my son wearing the captains hat. We didn't feel rushed and it was a very memorable experience. I believe they try to do them on one of the formal nights so you are all dressed for the evening.

I have the same concerns - We will be with our family on an Alaska sailing on the Star Aug 3rd. I called Princess to ask about how the ceremony is done...I was told that Princess will not guarantee a ceremony just for you, and will not guarantee the date or the time.

My reading of the posts on this board leads me to believe that the Alaska cruises have many, many family groups - (especially the Seattle rt. ,as ours)

I don't want to be part of a 'group' ceremony, I want to be able to pick the day (a 'sea day - not when we're in Port) and the time - probably around 4- 5 PM, before dinner - so we'll have time for photos and cocktails after the ceremony and not feel rushed.

This will be our 50th and we will have all our children and grandchildren aboard (17 Pax)

I would appreciate anyone's comments about my concerns????

Thanks! Renee

We did the renewal of vows on the Star in Alaska in 2002 for our 35th anniversary. I wanted it on July 2, our actual anniversay date. Many couples on our cruise were also doing it. Once onboard, we were assigned a date and time - July 3. It was one day off, but what's the big deal. The captain has more important duties to attend to on a cruise ship than accomodating a specific date. I never heard of anyone requesting a specific time. If you are so fussy, do a renewal of vows at home at your church or synagogue. We loved our private ceremony on the ship.

Just did the vow renewal on the Crown for our 25th anniversary. I was also concerned about it being done as a group but resolved myself to the fact that it would be nice whatever way it was done. It was private. It doesn't show in your planner. You'll get a letter in your cabin with a date & time. Ours was 5:45 pm on the first formal night. As others have said, I was told there were a number of other couples renewing their vows but each one would be taken in separately. Given times about 15 minutes apart and waited outside the chapel for our time to go in.

It was very nice & would recommend it to anyone considering it. For the poster with the group of 17, no problem accommodating them. Plenty of chairs set up. They had the ship's photographer take a number of pictures & we picked one for our free 8x10 plus our choice of frame. They offered the 6 x 8 renewal pics for $12.99 each or all (around 11 or 12) for flat fee of $50., which was a bargain (not sure if all ships do that).

Once again thank you everyone for the positive replies. We have now been out today and booked our renewal of vows on the Emerald Princess for april 2009 in the Caribbean. It will be 3 months before our 30th anniversary but we really want to do it in the Caribbean therefore april will have to do as we don't fancy going in july.

To all of you planning a vow renewal, it will be wonderful!

It was a very special day for both of us and was very emotional. It was done on the Tahitain Princess this July and was a private ceremony. There was only one other couple on the trip and they did theirs on a different 'at sea' day, so we were not rushed at all. My husband set up our video camera and video taped the whole thing, so that our kids were able to watch it once we got home (our daughters cryed). It was our 40th anniversary on July 3rd and they gave us a choice of two 'at seas' days. We picked the day before our anniversary and it was done at 6:30 PM, done by the captain. That gave us our anniversary to have a late breakfeast on the balcony and have a relaxing day. Leni, the secretary arranged for the whole thing, even pressed my dress for me and came down to our cabin to help me zip up my dress. I wore a long chiffon white dress with a lace jacket. The captain, Leni and photographer were the only ones present. What better place to renew your vows than in South Polynesia !!! Wonderful cruise, wonderful ceremony.:D

I am interested in that as well. When I called Princess to inquire, the response I got was very cool - I don't recall the exact words, but it lead me to contact a wedding coordinator in Antigua to ask about a vow renewal off the ship when we're there on our anniversary. I'll call Princess again, but don't expect much.

Has anyone done a vow renewal ceremony on a Princess ship? Was it done by the captian or a member of his staff? Individually or as a part of a group? Was it done in port or only on sea days? Can't remember the restrictions that Princess has....

Glad to see someone else has a question that I'd been holding onto for a while...

BD

Has anyone done a vow renewal ceremony on a Princess ship? Was it done by the captian or a member of his staff? Individually or as a part of a group? Was it done in port or only on sea days? Can't remember the restrictions that Princess has....

Glad to see someone else has a question that I'd been holding onto for a while...

BD

I am an idiot... guess I should read all the reply's before posting.. sorry about that !

BD

• 1 month later...

I am new to Princess, and I understand some of the larger ships have chapels but what about the smaller ones. We will be sailing on the Dawn Princess next year, and we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary. Were would the ceremony be held? Thanks for your help.

Marie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived