Infinity, Air Canada and lost luggage

fud2468

Prior to docking back in Vancouver from our Alaska cruise on Sept. 9, we opted for Celebrity's "new" service. For a fee we could place our checked bags directly from the ship onto our Air Canada flight to Sacramento-we would not see or have to deal with our checked baggage from the night before until we collected it on arrival in Sacramento.

One bag arrived in Sacramento as scheduled but the other did not. We went to the lost luggage room for Air Canada only to be told that Air Canada had no staff in Sacramento. An employee of another airline gave me an 888 number to call. I think the person I then talked to got the message but due to his heavy accent I'm not sure. This morning I emailed Celebrity about the problem but do not know how much time is needed to correct things.

It's not clear where the blame lies here, but for the information of others, it may be that this service may still need to have the bugs worked out of it.

"Be not the first on whom the new is tried, nor be the last to lay the old aside".

Ray Mac.

We did not use the service on the way to Vancouver because we flew up two days ahead of time to take bus tours, Victoria, etc. that were not connected with Celebrity. Apart from that we did not know about the service until a day or two before Infinity returned to Vancouver.

Since first posting here about this I emailed Celebrity (no luck there) and then phoned Air Canada to try to get a progress report. I was told the missing bag had been located, was still in Vancouver, would be flown to Sacramento this afternoon and then delivered to us ..

About half an hour ago I got a call telling me the bag was now in Sacramento and was on its way to us.

Well, it would be nice to get the $20 back for the one bag that didn't make it, but at this point I won't make an issue of it. Probably we will never know where the blame lies.

Ray Mac.

Fud ~ so glad to hear that your luggage has been located. I hope it has made it to you by now.

This service has always made me nervous (we've never used it and probably won't). It's hard enough for the airlines to get your luggage to you when you check it in at the airport yourself. Having at least two other groups (the crew on board and then the porters at the port) handle luggage before it even gets to the airport ups the chances for luggage being lost.

Thanks for keeping us posted on how things turned out! Hope you had an enjoyable cruise.

I've used this service and found it efficient. But, I purposely chose to fly the flight home using American Airlines. We had no problem and it was nice not to drag all of that luggage and a husband in a wheelchair to the airport, etc. I'd do it again but we're taking the AMTRAK home after our next cruise. I'm still trying to decide whether I should ship the luggage home via Fed Ex or USPS or take it ALL with us. UGH

I had gotten the call from Sacramento Airport telling me the bag had arrived there. I was asked to await a call from the delivery people so I could give directions to our home.

At 9 PM I was called from Woodland, 40 miles away, at which time I gave general directions, and was told I'd be called in about 2 hours for more specific directions.

That call came at 11:15 PM and the delivery people were about 4 blocks away. We connected right after that, bag was intact.

The delivery people, an older woman and a young man were in a compact car and said their deliveries often go until 5 AM.

I pity those who had to stay up even later than I did!

Mystery remains.

Ray Mac.

Not to slam the airlines, but who knows where/how the bag got lost. I've seen my luggage go missing on a direct flight when I've been the person who checked it in.

Another possible issue could be customs/security. International bags are checked more closely and perhaps your missing bag was just a victim of an increased security.

Either way, glad you got your bag back.

Although I did not use any "luggage service" my experience a few cruises ago makes "mystery reading" This happened in Vancover

I put my luggage outside the cabin as usual, when after dis embarkation I went to find it , no luggage, I searched, managed to get a terminal staffer to search, still no luggage. I kept saying "it must still be on the ship" but no one listened.

Having a plane to catch I filled out a lost luggage report, and came home to Florida.

Next day phoned the cruise line, got no where, finally got the "sub contractor " at the terminal. "we have your bag, it came off late and you had left, we will send it to you via UPS". Nothing, called UPS no tracking number so no info. Phoned terminal, staff not there that day. Finally after more days of frustration. got terminal staff "Sorry, but in error your luggage was put onto another cruise lines ship and it is somewhere off Alaska!!!" Of course it had the wrong luggage tags etc but who reads mere details like that!

Ship came back a week later, my luggage stayed at the terminal office, this time I learned the sub contracter was having financial trouble with UPS, and so UPS would not pick up my luggage.

Finally the travel agent I had used arranged for UPS to pick up the luggage. and guaranteed payment.

It finally reached me four weeks after my cruise ended.

Archived