comfy shoes with sundresses

missty

I wear a lot of cute summer skirts and dresses. We will be taking a Med. Cruise on NCL the end of next May. I need some good walking, comfortable shoes that will look good or even OK with a simple skirt or dress. I have a ton of "cute sandals" But, none I feel will work with walking all day. So, what do you suggest? I see some of these "walking sandals" and just know they will look ugly with a cute skirt. lol Help me.

Missty

Since you will need very comfortable shoes to walk in all day, you might look at Dansko shoes. I've found their styles to be the type that will look good with pants, dresses and even shorts and give you a good walking about shoe especially in European cities where you would want to look chic.

I wore these with my casual sundresses for walking around in ports all day and I loved them. SOO comfortable. It's unbelievable. But get the Capris not the Ithecas.. Ithecas have a hard toe separater, but the Capri ones were PERFECT and required NO "breaking in".

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-109-4-capri.aspx?reqid=109&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

IME, you will need sandals with arch support and also cushioning for the cobblestone streets. I have a pair of Clarks woven slides in black leather that feel great and look cute with skirts and dresses (also my preference). I also have some Cole Hahn with Nike Air soles sandals that offer good support and are cute.

Teva has also introduced some new and very cute styles.

IME, flip flops are not a good choice for hours of walking.

It depends on the flip flop! Mine were perfect

AmberMarie, your profile states that you're 25, so flip flops for your young feet and body may be just fine for you. I would have worn them 24/7 at age 25 also.

However, I've been reading tons of articles lately about the affects of constant flip-flop wearing, because they offer no support. Podiatrists are raking in the cash from patients with foot problems from wearing flip-flops.

I'm with caviargal (as usual) on this one.

Here's just one of the many articles out there. ;)

http://www.forbes.com/health/2006/05/03/flipflop-foot-problems_cx_sy_0504htow.html

AmberMarie, your profile states that you're 25, so flip flops for your young feet and body may be just fine for you. I would have worn them 24/7 at age 25 also.

However, I've been reading tons of articles lately about the affects of constant flip-flop wearing, because they offer no support. Podiatrists are raking in the cash from patients with foot problems from wearing flip-flops.

I'm with caviargal (as usual) on this one.

Here's just one of the many articles out there. ;)

http://www.forbes.com/health/2006/05/03/flipflop-foot-problems_cx_sy_0504htow.html

I guess my thing is that you're on vacation and need a basic comfy shoe for lots of walking. Everyone would wear special shoes all the time if they were worried about the long term effects.

As far as flip-flops go, Crocs are pretty darn comfortable, though. I certainly wouldn't compare them with a $5 pair from Old Navy or similar in terms of comfort.

I am also looking for a pair of "cute" black sandals as well. I still need to get to the Clarks store! :)

I guess my thing is that you're on vacation and need a basic comfy shoe for lots of walking. Everyone would wear special shoes all the time if they were worried about the long term effects.

I understand exactly what you're saying, but flip-flops for me just aren't a walking shoe. Sure, I wear them, but not to schlep around on cobblestone or asphalt streets in the Med. for hours on end. I know I've stepped off a curb and my foot has twisted out of thong flip-flops. The other day at the dog park, someone was knocked out of her flip flops when a dog ran into her. She cut her foot on a tree root. There's just nothing there to hold your foot in. For instance, if your feet get wet, they slide right out of flip flops....at least mine do.

I'm not anti flip-flops by any means. :D

I have these in black and love them. They do provide support and I can walk in them for days. You also don't stub your toes. ;) 2249-210389-d.jpg

Edited to add: These are Keen Bali

I understand exactly what you're saying, but flip-flops for me just aren't a walking shoe. Sure, I wear them, but not to schlep around on cobblestone or asphalt streets in the Med. for hours on end. I know I've stepped off a curb and my foot has twisted out of thong flip-flops. The other day at the dog park, someone was knocked out of her flip flops when a dog ran into her. She cut her foot on a tree root. There's just nothing there to hold your foot in. For instance, if your feet get wet, they slide right out of flip flops....at least mine do.

I have these in black and love them. They do provide support and I can walk in them for days. You also don't stub your toes. ;) 2249-210389-d.jpg

Karen, I saw those at a flip flop specialty store over the weekend and liked the support and style. I saw them in black but they are also cute in red.:)

I choose shoes to fit the destination. In the Med, in a city, IMO, flipflops are not what I choose to wear. I think they are just too casual for city wear in addition to not providing enough support.

Karen, I saw those at a flip flop specialty store over the weekend and liked the support and style. I saw them in black but they are also cute in red.:)

I choose shoes to fit the destination. In the Med, in a city, IMO, flipflops are not what I choose to wear. I think they are just too casual for city wear in addition to not providing enough support.

How funny! They come in several colors. Zappos doesn't have black at the moment:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7209690.html

I love how they're as light as a feather. ;)

These are so cute!!!!

1396-366563-p.jpg

I just bought 2 pairs of this Clark's sandal from the Artisan Collection and wore 1 pair this past Sunday to an outdoor horse show/barbeque/dance thing that required a lot of walking on grass, dirt, caliche, etc. These shoes are as comfortable as bedroom slippers and my feet felt divine! The name of the style is Mantis. I wore some shorts with them but I would wear them with a casual sundress or skirt. I would wear them to work if I could.

P.S.--they are $78.95 on Zappo's but I managed to snag both a black pair and an off white pair for $18.75 each at the local Dillard's clearance.

P.S.--they are $78.95 on Zappo's but I managed to snag both a black pair and an off white pair for $18.75 each at the local Dillard's clearance.

Gotta love Dillards clearance sales...I snagged Cole Hahn mules being sold for 175 on Nordstroms.com for 41.75 last weekend (DH spotted them). Also found Mephisto driving shoes in olive suede that were originally 240 and paid $36.:D

I WISH we had a Dillards! Booo. :p

I love those Clarks! That is exactly the type of show I'm looking for. We do have a Clarks store here in Chicago, though. I'm definitely heading there! :)

I've also been looking at the Cole Haan shoes with Nike technology - those sound promising!

I agree, it's definitely circumstancial! I have only done heavy flip flop walking on streets (some unpaved). I do find that with my capri crocs, the flip flops are more fitting. In other words, I'm not scrunching my toes to keep the flip flops on (I hate that!!). For serious terrain walking, I definitely recommend a different shoe.. but for "cute sundress comfy flip flop", I would recommend the CUTE croc flip flops (The Capri ones are actually cute).

Rachie Lnnn,

I don't know if there is a Clark's outlet near Chicago (there is bound to be) but here they have a huge selection and some good prices also. They are in the Premium Outlet chain here just north of Austin in Round Rock (not that that helps).

It was great being able to try on some of the styles I had admired online--sorta like a Clarks buffet:D

I did try on some Cole Haan Nike Air sandals and they were awesome--the only ones in my size were white with some royal blue trim so I had to pass. I would love to try some of the heels with the Air thing though...

Happy shoe shopping and enjoy your Hawaiian trip!!

Archived