What can I expect at embarkation?

mcubed

Just a question about sailing out of LA or San Diego to the Mexican Riviera in the month of March. Are the seas rougher from LA or San Diego than sailing to the Carribean out of NY or out of Florida? How are the summer sailings, in terms of the calmness of the seas? My DS sailed to Hawaii from LA,and she spent the week sea sick, so we don't want to do the same. What is a good hotel to stay at pre-cruise that won't cost a fortune? Up to $150.00 a night is considered minimal here in NY, and that would be OK. We are considering booking a cruise to the Mexican Riviera next since we have sailed the Atlantic ports many times, and just want to see some different ones. Thanks for any info you have!

Since I haven't been on any Caribbean cruises, I can't really compare. But, I did do the 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Pedro, in November. I didn't notice too much motion on the way down. However, on the way back up, on the very last day (when returning from Cabo) the ship hauled a** and you could really feel the ship moving (to me, it felt like a never-ending small earthquake, which was kind of fun, since I don't get motion sickness). My fiance does get motion sick though, and he took a Bonine and had no problems, despite the constant rocking of the ship.

As for hotels, we're staying in the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. We haven't stayed in a hotel in the area before, but apparently it's very popular for pre-cruisers, and a nice hotel. They even have a free shuttle to the pier. We got a good price ($70) for them on Priceline (bid for a 3 star hotel in the San Pedro area).

For the original poster: I'd suggest packing some "nicer" dinner clothes in your carry-on luggage. Technically, unless you're planning on having dinner in Horizon, you should be wearing appropriate dinner attire (although, I know sometimes they can be lax about it on that first night). But, since your luggage may not arrive before dinner, it's good to pack them in your carry-on.

Also, if you have plans to dine at any of the specialty restaurants (Sabatini's or Sterling), go ahead and make your reservations after you board so that you get your pick of date/times (good idea for many things that require reservations).

Be sure to be ready for sail away. Find yourself a good spot a little in advance (see if you can work your way up to a little deck way up towards the top of the ship for the best views), and enjoy the views.

I've been on several cruises and found the information on this thread quite helpful! Thanks everyone, the Princess board is so kind, not so on a few of the other cruiselines' boards.

Having never sailed out of San Pedro, can someone tell me if we get there really early, what can we do while waiting to embark? Is there shopping or anything? The Miami terminal bites :D

We are on the Golden on 10/27 and it's been a few years since we cruised and this will be our first Princess, I can't wait!

In 2006, we sailed out of San Pedro to Hawaii and took the ship's transport from the hotel which left about 11 AM. The terminal was packed and the check-in was slow because Celebrity's computers were down so our computerized boarding pass was useless. So not a good start that day.

However, we have cruised out of Ft Lauderdale several times and this past February, we had use of a car and did not have to take the early hotel shuttle. We (4 of us) found a movie theater to kill a few hours and then wandered over to the port. We got there about 2 PM and found no lines, computers working (Princess) and it was the easiest check in we ever had.

When we disembarked, there were people already arriving for the next cruise and not everyone was off the ship yet! They were in for a long wait. I would really recommend arriving after 1PM if this works for your family to avoid the crowds and congestion and the long waits.

When you board, you can carryon as much as you can handle.

But, I would recommend just small stuff, you will hand you luggage over to porters to be put on the ship. We usually get our luggage between 3 and 5, but this varies so I would recommend that you carry on essentials. Plus, if your child is potty trained you probably want to take your suitsuits with you in your carry-on so you could go in the pools.

Be sure to tip the porters that handle your bags (I usually tip a dollar a bag), it makes me think I'm ensuring that they are treated well.

The Horizon buffet will be open once you board the ship, so you can go have lunch there. Its' location depends on what ship you are taking so I won't give any directions here (post your ship and people can give you some tips).

The line for embarkation starts forming about an hour or so before the doors for the processing area are open, so depending upon your schedule you can show up anytime between an hour before and about an hour before the ship sails (earlier is better).

Make sure you have all your cruise paperwork filled out ahead of time, and you have all pertinant documents (Passports, etc) very handy. This will speed up the processing. Also, be sure to have a credit card ready to link to your on-board account. If you are unsure of what paperwork to fill out ahead of time (saves you time, and the people in line behind you time as well), contact princess, or ask here.

Be sure to put the luggage tags sent to you with your cruise paperwork on those suitcases you will give to the porters.

I've always embarded from Fort Lauderdale, so we go to the port around 11:30. Wait outside for about 30 minutes then are processed and onboard within 30 minutes or so.

Once you are let inside, you'll be in a big room (on a side note, this is the room you will find your luggage after the cruise, I'm thinking if it is just you and your child, you may want to ensure you have a way to carry said luggage through customers and out of the building). In the building, at embarkatation, you'll see about a dozen stations that are identified usually by deck, so you'll process in at the station with the deck identification your room in on.

If you paperwork is filled out, this will only take a few minutes, and then you'll walk on-board.

You usually enter the ship (and from Fort Lauderdal this is like walking onto a plane at a normal airport), at the Atrium level, though for one cruise (carnival :-() we entered at pier level. The best thing to do is look online at www.princess.com and find out where your cabin is in relation to the Atrium, and plan from there (you won't be shown to your room, so this is why I would suggest minimal carry-on with consideration to your child).

Once you are at your room, check out the ship's newspaper for additonal info, and times of things like the lifeboat drill. You'll more then likely meet the cabin steward that will be taking care of your room at this time, so be sure to ask for a life jacket to fit your child if the ones in your room won't fit them.

After unpacking or gathering your thoughts, go ahead and have lunch and enjoy exploring your ship, your luggage will show up late in the afternoon. and we usually unpack after the lifeboat drill. While you are exploring the ship check out the location of the kid's club, so you'll know where to go to register your child for the kid's program (registration occurs the first night and you have to do there with your child). Also, if you are doing formal dining, you can see where the dining room is, etc.

I would highly recommend checking out the reviews for your ship on this board, they give a lot of good advice and give you a good feel for activitis.

There is so much to see and do, have a great time, and I'd be more then happy to answer any additional questions.

For other CC people, please correct or modify if I've said something wrong.

Hi, thanks for all the very detailed information - I am just a little concerned regarding your paragraph

"Make sure you have all your cruise paperwork filled out ahead of time, and you have all pertinant documents (Passports, etc) very handy."

We have received our documents now as we cruise in nine days time but the only document I can see that requires filling in is the Express Check-out form - am I missing something? I seem to have acumulated so many sheets of paper in my file but can't see anything else that requires filling in.

Oh dear - I can't wait to get on there and just relax.......

strawberrydauiquri.gif.c7cce914be284513d2eef2098ab25d55.gif

We have received our documents now as we cruise in nine days time but the only document I can see that requires filling in is the Express Check-out form - am I missing something? I seem to have acumulated so many sheets of paper in my file but can't see anything else that requires filling in.

Your travel agent (or Princess, if you booked directly through them) should have sent you a packet a few weeks after final deposit. The letter in that packet spells out what you need to take care of before cruising.

- Fill out Passenger Immigration Form and emergency contact details (you can do this on the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website)

- Verify that your name on your passport matches your name on your booking (including spelling). If they don't match, call your TA or Princess (depending on who you booked through)

- Confirm that your passport is valid (i.e. not expired)

- If you bought transfers through Princess, but ended up booking your own flights, complete and return the Non-Princess Air Arrangement Form (you can find this in the Cruise Personalizer)

- Print out boarding pass from the Cruise Personalizer

Other things to do:

- Print out a copy of your travel insurance policy (if you bought travel insurance) and bring with you.

- Decide on which credit card will be used for onboard purchases. It's best to register this in advance (you can do this in the Cruise Personalizer in the Passenger Immigration Form section)

- If you have any medical conditions, or dietary restrictions, fill that out in the "Special Requests" section of the Cruise Personalizer

- Fill in your information on your luggage tags (included in that packet sent by your TA/Princess), and attach to all bags. If you lost them, or run out, you can get more at the port

- Make photocopies of your passports. Leave one copy of each with someone at home (ideally one of your emergency contacts). Bring another copy with you on the cruise, in case something happens to any of your passports.

The most important things you need for embarkation are your Boarding Pass, passports for everyone, and filled-out luggage tags on your bags.

As long as everything is filled out on the Cruise Personalizer, and you bring your Passports and Boarding Pass, you'll be fine!

Thank so much for that - the Cruise Peronalizer has been filled for some time and the only thing that I can see that I havent got is the boarding pass and I don't think us in the UK can print these off.

However, thanks for reminding me - I must write the information on the labels and then do a lot of photo-copying.

Thanks again

Anne X

Quoting myself, can anyone help?

From the Port's website"

"Only a 20-minute drive from downtown Los Angeles, the Port not only boasts a bustling cruise center serving destinations to the popular Mexican Riviera and beyond, but also the scenic Cabrillo Beach for public swimming, boating and fishing, a vintage Pacific Electric Red Car rail line, Ports O' Call Village, and entertaining summertime events for the entire family, including the nation's largest Lobster Festival. In downtown San Pedro -- all within a five mile radius -- you'll find historical landmarks, parks, museums, one-of-a-kind art galleries, shops and restaurants and unique treasures from yesteryear such as the Warner Grand Theater."

Other links:

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation_Portsocall.htm

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation_Museums.htm

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation_sights.htm

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation_Waterfront.htm

Vince_g...Thanks for the great website for first time cruisers.

We are taking our adult children and their spouses on their first cruise. (DH said I will do anything to get grandkids!) I have sent the link to them for a good overview.

thanks again.

You would need a car or take a taxi to any shops. There's a Ports O' Call village, but it's oriented toward the tourist. There are a few restaurants with outside decks on the port. San Pedro itself is very industrialized as it's a busy port for importing/exporting. The residential part of the city (actually a suburb of LA) is up on the hill.

If you are staying elsewhere (Long Beach, Santa Monica, etc.), you can find interesting things to do around your hotel, and then come to the port.

There may be a line to go into. Often the port staff will direct you (that's why you should have your docs handy because they'll want to direct you to the right line) to the check-in line for your level (meaning non-gold' date=' non-platinum, non-elite).

[/quote']

If one of your party is a Gold member and the other is a first time Princess cruiser (me) can both of you check in together?

Archived