Yellow Fever immunization requirement for cruise passenger

wlc832mycruise

I will be on the Trans-Atlantic cruise from Barcelona to Rio de Janeiro in November. One of the port of call is Cape Verde which is an island off the coast of Africa. I just found out after I got my Brazilian visa that Brazil require traveler that have been to Cape Verde within last 90 days to have a Yellow Fever immunization certificate. I have not been able to findout if this also applies to cruise passengers who only stop in Cape Verde on a one day port call. How is this requirement enforced? Does this mean if I do not have the certificate I cannot get off the ship in Rio? My cruise ends in Rio. The cruise line have not been able to offer a definite answere. I like to avoid the shots if I really do not have to have it because the nearest place I can get the Yellow Fever vaccination shots is over one hundred miles. If anyone have the answere I would appreciate your comment.

If it is a requirement then they will check for your yellow fever certificate at the time of embakarkation.

If you are required to have the yellow fever shot, then I would go ahead and get it. Go to the CDC web site which provides a listing of those places that administer the shot.

We needed one last year for the world cruise we were on earlier this year. It is the second time that I have gotten this vaccination and the first time for my wife.

Keith

I will be on the Trans-Atlantic cruise from Barcelona to Rio de Janeiro in November. One of the port of call is Cape Verde which is an island off the coast of Africa. I just found out after I got my Brazilian visa that Brazil require traveler that have been to Cape Verde within last 90 days to have a Yellow Fever immunization certificate. I have not been able to findout if this also applies to cruise passengers who only stop in Cape Verde on a one day port call. How is this requirement enforced? Does this mean if I do not have the certificate I cannot get off the ship in Rio? My cruise ends in Rio. The cruise line have not been able to offer a definite answere. I like to avoid the shots if I really do not have to have it because the nearest place I can get the Yellow Fever vaccination shots is over one hundred miles. If anyone have the answere I would appreciate your comment.

we are doing a ta on Rotterdam (sails in five weeks). HAL sent us an email a couple of weeks ago advising us that yellow fever shots were compulsory to enter Brazil as we are visiting Senegal for the day. Had asked them previously with no response but am glad they've finally sent out the advice. We'd booked the shots for three weeks time in any case as we'd read we may have trouble getting back into Oz without the immunization certificate

This is a difficult question. It seems that the Brazilian law does put Cape Verde on the "black-list" but they are unlikely to enforce the requirement for a one day cruise stop in St. Vincent. Incidentally, there have been zero confirmed cases of yellow fever in St. Vincent in the last 25 years.

I have just received a reply from the Portuguese representative of RCL in Lisbon on the question of yellow fever vacination requirements for Cape Verde. The reply is as follows:

Exmo Senhor,

Não será necessário a vacina contra a febre-amarela para este cruzeiro.

Com os melhores cumprimentos,

Odete Mota

Marketing

MELAIR

Royal Caribbean International - Celebrity Cruises - Azamara Cruises marketing@melair.pt

Translated, this reads "A Yellow Fever vacination is not required for this cruise".

I agree with Bill S that one should contact the Brazilian Consulate. Unfortunately this issue can totally ruin your cruise if not settled previous. I never thought that I would use it again but I am returning to Brazil in March.

I had an inportant question concerning my passport and e-mailed our local Brazilian consulate. I now have an official reply which I will print and keep with my passport. Fortunately I had a positive response.

Fran

Archived