cruise stock/onboard credit

coffee39

I'm not an expert, but from what I understand, if you own 100 shares in some cruise companies, you will get $100 on board credit for each cabin you book. No limit. So, if you go on 3 cruises a year, you will receive $100 obc for each. I've made enquiries regarding Royal Caribbean, and have been told this. So I'm not sure about the rest.

You have to own 100 shares of CCL for Carnival or Carnival owned cruises and the $100 is for a 7 day cruise. You only get $50 for a 5 day cruise.

Same for RCL stock if you are on Royal Caribbean.

If you dont understand stocks, not sure Id recommend buying it.

Carnival stock is definitely not worth it to purchase just for the OBC. Because that stock OBC cannot be combined with any other promotion or credit offered by the cruiseline. Which includes special past guest pricing or FCC credit.

I guess that depends, I got those "secret" cabins and guarantees, I dont get their fake free upgrades which you have to purchase more expensive cabins to get.

So, its worth it to me, I got the onboard credit with Carnival np...and only paid $254 plus tax pp for my 1A guarantee cabins and got $50 for my 5 days on Ecstasy. The rates have gone as high as $379 pp plus tax on their site since I booked and I got them to add OBC to all 3 of my cruises at once, $200 total OBC.

Carnival stock is definitely not worth it to purchase just for the OBC. Because that stock OBC cannot be combined with any other promotion or credit offered by the cruiseline. Which includes special past guest pricing or FCC credit.

You're right that it's not worth buying stock just for the OBC. However, we've had no trouble combining our stock credit with our FCC, despite what it says in the info below :) . They also will pro-rate the stockholder OBC if you have other "general" OBC.

Here's the link to Carnival's stockholder OBC:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

To qualify for the shipboard credit one need only own 100 shares of stock in the company.

Carnival Corporation owns Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, Holland America/Windstar and Seabourn. These cruise lines provide an onboard credit per stateroom of $250 for cruises lasting 14 days or longer; $100 credit for sailings of 7-13 days; and $50 credit for cruises lasting six days or less. See http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

In addition to Royal Caribbean International cruises, shareholders of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. stock also receive benefits on Azamara and Celebrity Cruises (excluding sailings on the Celebrity Xpedition and any sailings offered under the Celebrity Xpeditions program). Shareholders receive a $250 onboard credit per stateroom on cruises of 14 or more nights; $200 credit for sailings between 9-13 nights; $100 credit for cruises of 6-8 nights; and $50 credit for sailings of five nights or less. See http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

RCL common was up over 4% today to close at 38. If all I need to invest is $3800 plus a small commission to get a $200 credit for my next sailing in Nov, you can bet I will do so. There is no reason to think the the stock of either of these companies will drop precipitously between the time I buy and the time I sell. The $200 "dividend" is a no brainer. Considering I could hold the shares for as little as 90 days - or less- the rate of return is astronomical.

Archived