The Miramar

Scorpiorose

Actually, I tried El Convento, it's all full! We want a safe, clean hotel pre cruise! We'll stay two nights but only one day and will probably do OSJ during the day, maybe a night bar and dinner but that's it, we'll need rest after the 14 hours of travel getting to this cruise! So.....wondering if the Miramar fits the bill, I know it's not the best local but it was review high enough and is clean.

thoughts?

Adventure 2008 – Can’t Wait!!!

Vision 2007

Carnival Miracle 2006

Monarch 2005

Actually, I tried El Convento, it's all full! We want a safe, clean hotel pre cruise! We'll stay two nights but only one day and will probably do OSJ during the day, maybe a night bar and dinner but that's it, we'll need rest after the 14 hours of travel getting to this cruise! So.....wondering if the Miramar fits the bill, I know it's not the best local but it was review high enough and is clean.

Have you tried the OSJ Sheraton?

Oh, what did you think of it?

I didn't stay there, just went into the lobby. It looked very nice but I can't say what the rooms look like or anything. go to hotels.com and they have real people reviews of each hotel.

If you want something beachy and gorgeous I would highly recommend the Ritz, which is wonderful. It is about 15 minutes or so from the airport.

• 6 months later...

Would highly recommend this hotel to those using pre and post cruise.

We arrived at airport gathered luggage and gladly had porter tote it to the curb and hail a cab and load it into cab. Between 5 adults we had 8 bags, golf clubs and 5 carryons. We were insistent on one cab- no problem - a large van worked out well. Fare was approx $20ish from airport to Miramar and 20 min ride. I had already called hotel and requested early check in (just in case) and adjoining rooms.

Upon arrival very friendly bell hop "Sean"- we agreed to use- no pressure though to use them.

Upon check in room both of our rooms were ready.

Our room was a king suite- directly on 4th floor by elevator, standard little kitchenete, sofa, tv and separate bedroom with king bed and tv. There was also a walk in closet and ironing board if need be. Funny the walkin closet was how one got into bathroom. We needed the sofa bed for teen son otherwise a standard room you will have two double beds.

My parents room was across hall on angle to ours. They had a standard king room.

The rooms appeared recently renovated, clean and beds and bedding very comfortable.

Pool- standard rectangle basic

Soda- noted machines did not have diet, not did lobby soda cooler.

Restaurants: half a block down a Subway, and Dominos pizza place. Two blocks down on hotel side los pinos- a local flare casual restuarant heard good things about. The hotel had two restaurants but heard on expensive side.

Taxi fare: Sean called a cab for us, to old San Juan: 3 people $14, $12 to get back..weird.

To pier: $20ish for 5 people + luggage + tip.

Our view: we overlooked lobby side and car turn around area. No noise what so ever.

My parents room faced the side street and father said all night could here a booming of music coming from a "club" across the street. I would ask for room on lobby facing side.

Checkout- see if you can get express where they put bill under door, they weren't the speediest at desk checkout in am.

We again saw Sean and he flagged a large family van cab and it waited patiently while we had to verify bill as we were using frequent flyer points and they missed that.

I would highly recommend hotel and service level.

So, this was the Hotel Miramar, not the Courtyard by Marriott-Miramar? We are booked there in the fall. I have read both good and bad reviews, tho' I believe it was refurbished last year?

Just to clarify it is the Courtyard San Juan Miramar on Ponce de Leon Ave. I also read it was refurbished and opened in fall I think. I truely felt it very clean, no odors (not any mildew or ocean smell). Would easily book again. I am looking for room number --I think 401 and 414 we had. Only downside was only one elevator. However it was not that slow and it is a smaller hotel. We did ask for lower floor in case we had to in a pinch carry luggage- but DS noted stairwells do not let you back in so that would not have worked anyhow -

I am typing a cruise review and have taken menu photos and kept Cruise Compass. Just ask..

Archived