Norwegian Jewel Baltic Cruise

petesweet

We are considering a Baltic cruise with the Norwegian Jewel next May. Would appreciate any comments on the ship and/or the itinerary. We will take the cruiseline's port excursions in St. Petersburg but will need to begin studying what is conveniently available in Copenhagen, Berlin, Tallinn, Helsinki, and Stockholm. Thanks a bunch!

What a marvelous and helpful response to my questions! I've been to Russia twice (once on a river cruise and once on a land tour) and loved it. Too bad you didn't get to see Moscow. That's my favorite. We went once in the wintertime--cold, but beautiful covered in snow.

I'll check out the port excursions if someone will tell me how. I'm new on this sort of thing.

We are considering a Baltic cruise with the Norwegian Jewel next May. Would appreciate any comments on the ship and/or the itinerary. We will take the cruiseline's port excursions in St. Petersburg but will need to begin studying what is conveniently available in Copenhagen, Berlin, Tallinn, Helsinki, and Stockholm. Thanks a bunch!

We would like to go in June 2008 only thing is getting out of London to Dover and back to London. Thats why we like Vancouver, LAX, Seattle and NYC for departures, close to everything. We were on Princess, one of the Officers told us the Baltic cruise was his favourate.

What a marvelous and helpful response to my questions! I've been to Russia twice (once on a river cruise and once on a land tour) and loved it. Too bad you didn't get to see Moscow. That's my favorite. We went once in the wintertime--cold, but beautiful covered in snow.

I'll check out the port excursions if someone will tell me how. I'm new on this sort of thing.

Follow this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

and read, read, read.

We would like to go in June 2008 only thing is getting out of London to Dover and back to London. Thats why we like Vancouver, LAX, Seattle and NYC for departures, close to everything. We were on Princess, one of the Officers told us the Baltic cruise was his favourate.

This concerns us a bit too, but there is lots of helpful information on the Ports of Call board on ways to do this. I've seen how to get there by bus, train and private drivers! Of course, I'm still a bit nervous and haven't figured it out yet but I'm hoping someone on our roll call ends up holding our hand a bit on this one!! LOL

That is what makes these boards wonderful, we can take concerns like these and have them worked out before we ever leave home. Why miss a wonderful cruise because you are worried about getting to the ship? There are many, many cruisers here willing to share their experiences and help you out!:D

We are on the JEWEL for the 5/29/08 sailing out of Dover. This has been by far the most work I've ever done to cruise! The 5/24 flight to Heathrow has been booked, I *think* I know how we're getting from airport to hotel in London, hotel in London for 3 nights is booked, we will take the train from Victoria Stn to Dover Priory (looking forward to that!), 1 night's stay in Dover is booked, we are using NCL transfers from ship back to Heathrow post-cruise, taking the Nat'l Express bus from Heathrow to the Cotswolds for a 2-night stay, and then bus back to Heathrow to fly home on 6/12.

WHEW! It wears me out just thinking about all that! But, it will be well worth the hassle!! :D :D

~dianne

Dianne- you really had to work hard to get all the logistics figured out, but it will be worth it. It'll be a fabulous trip!

About Dover. For those of you still thinking about it. The trip from London to Dover wasn't bad. You can also look into the NCL transfer, about $80 per person. We looked into a private car or taxi and it was quite a bit more. The train also works, but then you have to drag your own luggage around and we were feeling lazy.

We also did more planning on the Baltic cruise than others, but it was worth it. DH said it was our best vacation ever! Enjoy!:D

Dianne- you really had to work hard to get all the logistics figured out, but it will be worth it. It'll be a fabulous trip!

About Dover. For those of you still thinking about it. The trip from London to Dover wasn't bad. You can also look into the NCL transfer, about $80 per person. We looked into a private car or taxi and it was quite a bit more. The train also works, but then you have to drag your own luggage around and we were feeling lazy.

We also did more planning on the Baltic cruise than others, but it was worth it. DH said it was our best vacation ever! Enjoy!:D

Were the transfers $80/pp round trip or each way? Also was it from the airport or a hotel in London? thanks

My husband and I and our two boys (ages 14 and 9) are booked on the Jewel the end of June 2008. This Baltic cruise does take a lot more planning than our Med cruise. In Berlin and St. Petersburg I found lots of great information on the CC Europe board about private tours, which we will be doing because you can see exactly what you want. We need to do that with the boys who want to see certain things that they studied in school or saw on the History Channel.

We are going directly to Dover two days pre-cruise because London was way too expensive for the 4 of us. There is a lot to see in the Dover area especially castles like Dover and Leeds so it was a good substitute for London and it was far cheaper.

I also booked a car service that was highly recommended on the CC Europe Board from London to Dover for about $290.00 OW (145 pounds from Heathrow to Dover-parking fee included/135 pounds Dover to Heathrow no parking fee) for 4 people and 3 large pieces of luggage/4 carry ons. That isn't too bad a price when you factor distance to Dover from Heathrow and the cost of gas in England in a vehicle large enough to carry 4 people and their luggage. For us it was also cheaper and easier to book a private car than to book the NCL transfers.

I've read that many people found Helsinki to be their least favorite port because there isn't that much to do or see other than some shopping, which would bore the males in my bunch to tears. I decided after two heavy days in St. Petersburg touring that we would go to the Helsinki zoo then walk around Market Square where the ferry from the zoo drops you off. The idea of a Hop On/Hop Off bus or the T3 tram is also a great idea.

I found great information on the CC Europe board, Virtual Tourist, Tripadvisor, and the official city tourist boards on each port.

Good Luck!

Eileen

Were the transfers $80/pp round trip or each way? Also was it from the airport or a hotel in London? thanks

It was $80 per person each way. We did a 2 night pre-cruise through NCL, so the transfer from the hotel to Dover was included. Since we booked our own air, we purchased the NCL transfer to go from Dover to Heathrow. They also do a transfer from the airport to Dover if you're arriving on the day of the cruise. Pretty sure it's the same $80 per person.

Enjoy!

This concerns us a bit too, but there is lots of helpful information on the Ports of Call board on ways to do this. I've seen how to get there by bus, train and private drivers! Of course, I'm still a bit nervous and haven't figured it out yet but I'm hoping someone on our roll call ends up holding our hand a bit on this one!! LOL

That is what makes these boards wonderful, we can take concerns like these and have them worked out before we ever leave home. Why miss a wonderful cruise because you are worried about getting to the ship? There are many, many cruisers here willing to share their experiences and help you out!:D

Looking forward to a full report when you get back. Enjoy .

You're welcome. We enjoyed reading your review, as well. It appears we really lucked out with the weather, especially in St. Petersburg, as compared to you. One of our guides told us the Baltic area had the coldest summer ever recorded this year. She was the same guide who was extolling the virtues of the St. Petersburg apartments built during the Stalinist-era. She said they had all the amenties. When I asked her what she meant by that, she said they had hot and cold running water. That was pretty funny.

That was pretty funny! You did luck out with the weather. We had a few days of drizzle and toward the end it was COLD! Although we had a really hot day in Berlin. Everyone started out in coats and sweaters and kept stripping off layers as the day went on.

Glad you enjoyed your trip also. Will be interested to hear the report on the current trip. Wonder if they did anything special for the Dream's last Baltic cruise.

Happy Cruising

We just completed a Baltic Cruise on the Dream. Here's the link to my review. Hopefully it will be of some use. We had a great time.

What a great help! Wonder if you remember the cost of the St. Petersburg tours? My husband and I have been in Russia (not on a cruise) and seen those sites, so we will enjoy the day on board the ship; however, this will be a highlight for the two ladies traveling with us. Price would be a consideration for them. Thanks.

The Glorious St. Petersburg tour cost $185.00 and the Imperial St. Petersburg cost $197.00. The first tour stops at Catherine's Palace, followed by lunch and then the Hermitage. The latter goes to Peterhof in the morning, then after a hydrofoil jaunt and lunch, you visit Peter Paul fortress. The prices of all the St. Petersburg tours are available on the NCL website.

But the Dover port is beautiful, by far the nicest I have ever seen. We did the NCL transfers, it was pretty costly, still a nice drive.

Nita

Archived