Books on Board

raudacruise

I've had a good natured debate with another cruise critic member about the books available in the library. Since it was totally off topic on the thread we were on I decided to start this.

First, I think he and I agree that the best thing is the Celebrity libraries have a "drop off a book you brought on and choose another" program. Paperbacks actually. Cruiser empowerment - I love that.

Second, some peeves (not just mine) regarding the Celebrity libraries.

1. Of the stocked books they seem to disappear on the first or second day with folks walking out with 4 or so books instead of just one.

2. Books piled up because folks returned them after they were supposed to be on the last night of the cruise or just left them in their rooms.

3. No librarian and books haphazardly returned to shelves (since it is mostly self serve not surprising).

4. Dated books.

Hopefully something a little different than smoking and food.

Valid complaints. When we were on our cruise, I took just the one book and returned it when I was finished. But I can see people doing exactly what you say. Hopefully this can be a reminder that someone else could have been reading that book! And that we put it back where we found it!:)

Have you been on cruises with a formal librarian? The books are checked out using a barcode scanner and debited to your room account if not returned by the due time.

Bit of an act of faith as the books are posted in a drop-off box but I suppose the charge can be put through a day later.

Who knows, maybe even an alarm as you try to slip ashore :)

Hmmmm. We took multiple books on our two week cruise on the Summit last year. It turns out we were busy during the Alaska portion (who would have guessed:p) so we never made it through all of our books. However, out of curiosity, we went to the library. I thought it was lovely. It was neat, clean, and quiet. There were some cruisers in there, but everyone was treating it with the respect and decorum with which they would treat their hometown library. The Summit library is certainly NOT expansive, but looking through the shelves, my DH and I found many books we would have enjoyed. After our exploration we decided that we would try to limit the amount of reading material we take with us and rely more heavily upon the ship library. Weight limitations (as we all know) make transport of many things, including books, more difficult these days. Hopefully, when I go to the Millie library in April I will find the same conditions - of course I may also walk in to a raucous booze fest where people are using books as footrests and screaming at each other at the tops of their lungs - April 6th in the Carib may still have some "Spring Breakers" aboard.;)

Happy cruising...and reading!

Denise

Last year on the Zenith, you had to get to the library right away or all the good books where gone. We did speak with the librarian and she was very happy if you left her any books that you brought with you. I gave her a paperback and she looked like a kid on Christmas morning.

I always bring one or two books to read and leave them there for other cruisers when I am done.

If I am feeling particularly generous I'll bring a couple of already read hardcovers in my carry on. I always hate to part with my hardcovers..I sometimes read them two or three times over.:o

Tried visiting the library when we were on the Mercury. It was closed. Since I had my own reading materials with me, never went back. Do like the paperback exchange I keep reading about on these boards. Will try that on the Millie in February. Suspect I will have more time to read on that cruise than I did in Alaska--too glued to the scenery!

I almost never "read" books anymore. For the last three years I have downloaded digital books and listen to them on my ipod. I love it. I can listen anywhere I go...car, office, airplanes, etc. I always have a large assortment of downloaded books so I can decide what I am in the mood for. I get most of my digital books from http://www.audible.com, an excellent site with thousands of books at a very good price. Check it out.

Archived