Cartagena

julie aka social director

We did a ship's tour.

Whenever you were in the street the vendors hound you once you go inside the tourist site or store you are not bothered.

The tour does take you to the emerald store but we just got back on the bus

You might find more info on the Panama forums http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

I felt very comfortable going on a tour in Cartagena. However I would not even think of doing a private tour here, even if they offered any. I am alittle too safety conscious to go on a private tour in Columbia at this time.

That said, I loved Columbia and my day there. I got to see wonderful old sites; sad very poor areas(worse than any of the islands); got to hold a baby sloth!; and just the people were so great(yes, the vendors were agressive but unlike, say Jamaica, I thought very politely agressive! If you said no, they left you alone and went to the next tourist. So enjoy your day in Columbia!

Pooh

i would echo the previous 2 posts. the tour they each took sounds like the one i took. i am not overly concerned about safety when i take a ship tour. (concerned, yes, but not excessively). the street vendors were there, but they were licensed for the spot they were in and don't follow you. jamaica was much worse.

do not do your own tour of cartagena. stick with a ship tour.

• 2 weeks later...
OK. No one has answered my previous thread on what to do here. So I investigated this port on my own. A little concerned about safety. Anyone every get off the ship here either on your own or with a ships excursion:confused:

Last time I looked,Columbia was in South America... :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=409637

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to do extensive research on all ports I visit so I don't feel intimidated when I arrive. It also helps me decide if I can tour on my own and for how far, and I see they best "points-of-interest". Since this is a new port which cruiseliines have opted to put on thier list, I'm sure they do their extensive research for the safety of their passengers. I am sticking to a ship tour of the historical sites just for this reason.

Here is some sites you might want to read:

http://www.cartagenainfo.net/

while there, click on Arriving Info...Cruiseships

---------------------------------------------------------

BTW;Columbus is in Ohio

• 5 years later...

You're right, the ubiquitous street vendors are everywhere. But we just smile, shake our heads and say 'No, gracias' and mosey off.

We're 'walkers' and HAVE walked the interesting streets from Old Town back to the ship. But it WAS a long circuitous walk...in the middle of daylight....three of us...two men in later 50's and a female mid 50's. No problems whatsoever...taxis would go by and honk to see if we were ready for a ride back the rest of the way.

Twice we've taken taxis to Old Town and just wandered around. The second time, it was just my husband and me...and he was walking with a cane. Usually there are lots of people about. We've walked over to the fort walls on the far sides of Old town...again lots of people about in the daytime.

One trip we did wander about to quite a lonely area...quite early in the morning before people were getting about with their day and a kindly woman reminded me to put my fancy camera in the backpack and only take it out when I needed to take a picture. From conversations with some of the older men seated in the public areas, they too seemed to indicate the big thing was...don't go about being ostentatious.

Before we headed here in 2009, I wrote the Canadian government and the Colombian government about how safe the area was. They indicated as long as one went out in daylight hours and was sensible, one shouldn't visit in fear, but enjoy the experience.

The buildings are colourful. Watch for the doorknockers...most of them are unique. I've a whole photographic collection of various kinds. and the Judas Gates are fascinating too.

I'm headed back to Old Town in a couple of weeks with a friend, this time without our husbands. I have no qualms about wandering around Old Town again this time...with my camera in my pack...and we'll catch a taxi back to port when we're done.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived