Just Back fom 1 Month in Alaka (2 weeks on Radiance)

GMoney

Just got back today after a very long day of travel from a month in Alaska - 15 days on land and 14 days on Radiance of the Seas.

Details and pictures will be forthcoming, but suffice it to say that the trip - though very last minute - was absolutely amazing and I hope to return next summer (but almost definitely not by cruise ship). I know the season is over, but I'd be happy to answer any questions. For those of you like me who have spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, but haven't gotten around to Alaska, think about giving it a try.

My itinerary and major activities were as follows:

> Anchorage

> Kennicott (day-long Root Glacier hike)

> Valdez (10 hour Columbia Glacier kayak)

> Homer (day-long kayak of Katchemak Bay)

> Seward (hiked Harding Icefield Trail at Exit Glacier)

> Seward (6 hour Kenai Fjord boat tour)

> Denali (shuttle bus to Wonder Lake)

> Hubbard Glacier

> Juneau (helicopter glacier trek and hike up Mt. Roberts)

> Skagway (White Pass Railway and HeliHike)

> Icy Strait Point (zipline and whale watching with FISHES)

> Ketchikan (Traitors Cover Bear Watching with Island Wings)

> Vancouver (hop on / hop off bus)

> Ketchikan (Misty Fjords by Floatplane with Island Wings)

> Hubbard Glacier

> Skagway (hike to Upper Dewey Lake)

> Sitka (whale watching)

> Vancouver (Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain)

Highlights by far and away were:

> The Columbia Glacier kayak (just paddling around in the water filled with bergy bits and seeing wildlife was humbling and amazing).

> The Harding Icefield Hike at Exit Glacier (because of the sheer physical accomplishment of hiking 8 miles RT, up about 3000 ft at a clip of 100ft / mile, the incredible views doing that provided, and the unexpected bear encounter).

Other observations and comments (to be expounded upon later):

> I was very happy I did my land tour and port excursions independently rather than through RCI.

> It was dismaying how many of the cruise ship pax seemed more interested in end-of-season tshirt sales and shopping rather than experiencing the beauty and opportunities of each port. The sheer commercial nature of some ports (ie - Diamonds International storefronts) was similarly disconcerting. Finally, I don't understand people who want to "see" Alaska entirely through the glass bubbles of ships, buses and trains. But hey, everyone has a different idea of what they want of vacation.

> If I was to do an Alaska cruise again, it would almost definitely be with HAL.

> I was very pleased with my B2B Radiance cruises if for no other reason than the sheer value of what I paid v. what I got out of the experience.

Again, thanks to those of you on the AK board who helped make my vacation so satisfying and seamless through your expertise and knowledge; I am very grateful. It was also a pleasure to meet so many nice new people along the way.

Co-worker with 2 young children just booked Alaska for next year with HAL, why do you think it would be a better experience? Please help Patrick, it would be nice to have something positive to say about HAL.:D Glad you had a nice time...are you a LOTTO winner or what?:D :D

Co-worker with 2 young children just booked Alaska for next year with HAL, why do you think it would be a better experience? Please help Patrick, it would be nice to have something positive to say about HAL.:D Glad you had a nice time...are you a LOTTO winner or what?:D :D

Hey Patrick, so glad you had a wonderful time. It is unbelievable that all the pictures and tv shows you ever see of Alaska can not prepare you for the reality of the sheer beauty of it in person.

I know what you are saying about people not getting out and about. Our friends were on NCL the same week we were on the Serenade. They only did shopping and bus tours. When we showed them our pictures they couldn't believe how different our experiences were from theirs.

I am so jealous...I only had 13 days (6 on land, 7 on ship) to have 29 would be awsome. I'm eagerly awaiting your pictures

Well, since I am still on Pacific time, I am working on them now! :) I hope to have them up tomorrow.

Patrick,

I am eagerly awaiting your posts and reviews of your adventure---I want to hear what you have to say when you expound upon the items you highlighted towards the end of your post.

We took an Alaskan cruise on the Serenade a couple of years ago (when it was including Misty Fjords on the itinerary--gorgeous), but we did not have the opportunity to include a land vacation/tour.

When you tell us about your various shore excursions/tours ets., would you please include your opinion of what you think is the physical demand of the activity, so I can judge what I might and might not be able to do when I next visit Alaska?

Thank you!

Leslie

I'm looking forward to a review in more detail and pics :)

We loved our Alaska cruise, but certainly hope next time we go it will be a land trip, there is so much more to see and do than just in a few port towns. A cruise was just a taste of Alaska.

Your comment about the T-shirts and glass bubble tours could be applied towards any cruise. I cringe when I see posts about "where to shop" on any cruise. A vacation really needs to be about the travel, not the souvenirs ;)

I wish I hit the Powerball; I'm trying LOL. :D

My comment is based on the fact that HAL has a more sizable presence in Alaska and has been in Alaska for longer than RCI, in addition to the fact that they own the Grayline of Alaska, which provides many land tour options. I think that gives them a powerful 1-2 combination that's hard to beat.

True, I did not sail on HAL in AK, so I cannot state this based on experience, but I have sailed HAL before, and the Denali portion of our tour (AKRR r/t from Anchorage to Denali and 2 night stay at the McKinley Chalet) was booked through Grayline, so our experience was almost exactly the same as that of the HAL guests.

IMO, the same is generally true (but to a slightly lesser degree) with Princess.

It also seems like everywhere we went, HAL and Princess ships received more convenient and desirable berths in port.

Given all of this, I think HAL is the way to go in Alaska. The comment is really more of a complement to HAL than a criticism of RCI, which does a very nice job, but just hasn't been in region as long or have the same infrastructure.

It is unbelievable that all the pictures and tv shows you ever see of Alaska can not prepare you for the reality of the sheer beauty of it in person.

That is a great comment and so true. No combination of HDTV shows and Jeff Corwin specials add up to the real thing. :rolleyes:

What an amazing trip. I can't wait to read the review and details of the trip.

Alaska is such an amazing state, with totally amazing ports, cities and sites to see.

Spend every minute you can up there....you will not be disappointed.

Archived