Best restaurants Buenos Aires

ClaudiaF

• 5 years later...
Anyone who has been there recently have any suggestions for great restaurants.

Best steak house is Cabana de las Lilas in Puerto Madero. We tried Sucre, a trendy restaurant in north Palermo - good, but Cabana was better. Wait for a table outside on the water. If you're going to Santiago, the best restaurant on our entire trip was Astrid y Gaston.

I loved Osaka (Peruvian/Japanese fusion)...try their degustation. They bring a wonderful medley of flavors.

Another very nice steak house is La Cabrera in Palermo. Charming atmosphere and great beef.

Both restaurants require reservations.

Try the ice cream in BA too.Yummy

Kim

We loved El Palacio de la Papa Fritta - (The palace of the fried potato!). There are 3 or 4 locations; we went to the big one on Corrientes. It is not fancy, and it is not expensive. The steaks were outstanding, and I can't even describe how they make the delicious fried potatoes!

We understand that this restaurant is a Buenos Aires institution! When we left around midnight, it was still hopping!

There is a very good guide for Buenos Aires written by Alicia Delgado. I buy it every time I go to Buenos Aires. It is in Spanish and English.

La Cabrera is certainly one of the best.

Fervor Brasas – it is also very very nice.

My recommendations...some of which have already been suggested:

La Cabrera in Palermo Soho for steak.

Sotto Voce in Recoleta for Italian

Tomo I downtown for a fixed price sophisticated Argentine meal.

Osaka in Palermo Hollywood for trendy fusion (Japanese/Peruvian)

Don Julios in Palermo Soho for a traditional parrilla

A month ago, our fantastic guide took us to El Obrero in La Boca for lunch. It was sensational. Excellent food, interesting place with loads of memorabilia on the walls, lively patrons and great, prompt service. It just smelt delicious when you walked in the door - the whole place delighted the senses. Its not palatial - just a very popular local restaurant.

We had seafood and mouth watering steaks. I've since read a Fodor's Guide that described it as one of the best restaurants in BA. And not too expensive by our standards particularly if you dine the Argentine way and share the dishes.

Take a taxi there and then get the restaurant to call you one when you leave. Do NOT wander around the streets - La Boca is a dangerous area.

We ate at this Parilla called Las Nazarenas which was great. They had goat and Lamb too.

Beef (Filet) was equivalent to The Palm or Le Cirque for $15.00 pp and about 16 oz!

The restaurant has been around for a long time, like The Palm, and has patina.

Basic grilled meat but fabulous. Really shows off the top shelf Argentine beef. We were disappointed elseswhere.

• 4 months later...

All suggestions are great.If you are in San Telmo go to Restaurante Lezama-at the intersection of defensa and Brasil sts.

Cabaña Las Lilas at Puerto Madero waterfront is too pricey and overrated, personally I would go to Happening on 310 alicia Justo street,just a few blocks down the promenade. El obrero on Cafarena st. in La Boca is very good but it is a bit tricky to get there.

La cabrera is very good choice and portions are huge!

Pochito

A month ago, our fantastic guide took us to El Obrero in La Boca for lunch. It was sensational. Excellent food, interesting place with loads of memorabilia on the walls, lively patrons and great, prompt service. It just smelt delicious when you walked in the door - the whole place delighted the senses. Its not palatial - just a very popular local restaurant.

We had seafood and mouth watering steaks. I've since read a Fodor's Guide that described it as one of the best restaurants in BA. And not too expensive by our standards particularly if you dine the Argentine way and share the dishes.

Take a taxi there and then get the restaurant to call you one when you leave. Do NOT wander around the streets - La Boca is a dangerous area.

I second this recommendation. If you are going for dinner, you must make a reservation. We didn't, and arrived just as they opened at 8:00 P.M. They gave us the only table that wasn't reserved. We were the only ones in the restaurant until about 9:15.

When your taxi stops to let you off, you will immediately think that he's going to roll you and steal all your cash. It's in quite a seedy area. They have a cop posted outside all the time to protect the tourists. The restaurant even locks the front door.

Having said that, you must go. The food is fantastic and the prices even better. The walls are covered with photos of the rich and famous who have dined there. I had a filet that pretty much covered my whole plate for about 9 bucks.

A great experience, and much different from the norm.

Did anyone notice that the OP asked this question about restaurants in BsAs in August 2004? It took almost 6 years to get some replies! Gotta watch those dates. :eek::eek:

That's OK - maybe some of the suggestions will help other travelers. Someone bumped the thread, so there must be interest.:)

Mary

• 2 weeks later...
We loved El Palacio de la Papa Fritta - (The palace of the fried potato!). There are 3 or 4 locations; we went to the big one on Corrientes. It is not fancy, and it is not expensive. The steaks were outstanding, and I can't even describe how they make the delicious fried potatoes!

We understand that this restaurant is a Buenos Aires institution! When we left around midnight, it was still hopping!

We ate there also-what they make is a special potato puff, that is cooked in 2 temperature oils.

There are recipes on the web and i will attempt it one of these days!

Archived