food wise princess versus X Galaxy

FRANCOIS

cruised twice on princess and once on carnival and we loved the food on princess.

we like food. not the kind that there are too fluffy around the plate and nothing in it.

I am looking for march 07, 08 cruise and hesitate for 2 reason:

the ship is old and the food unknown!

We dont like food that is too fancy! Princess was very good!

We cruised last year on the sun pricess and it was small and old ... a bit disapointed .

So if anyone as experience both food on princess and Galaxy please

give us advice.

thank you

francois

Salut Francois!

We have sailed once on Celebrity (Southern Caribbean - Galaxy - '03) and once on Princess (Alaska - Regal - '05). While we are not experts in terms of #'s of cruises to compare, we definetely preferred the food on Celebrity.

While the food on Princess was good, we found it geared in an Italian theme almost every night of our 10 day Alaska sailing. Italian is something we get too much of at home :). Celebrity's food was geared more Continental (with a French flair under Michel Roux however he is now gone). In addition, we found the dining room service on Celebrity to be much better than that of Princess.

Mais alors, this is a subjective and a matter of personal preference. We are sailing Celebrity again in Feb. 08 and look forward to experiencing the line again. For the record, Princess had a similar sailing and we chose Celebrity as overall, we were much more impressed.

Whatever you choose, je vous souhaites un bon voyage!

cruised twice on princess and once on carnival and we loved the food on princess.

we like food. not the kind that there are too fluffy around the plate and nothing in it.

I am looking for march 07, 08 cruise and hesitate for 2 reason:

the ship is old and the food unknown!

We dont like food that is too fancy! Princess was very good!

We cruised last year on the sun pricess and it was small and old ... a bit disapointed .

give us advice.

thank you

francois

Hi Francois,

I found the food to be about the same and while there is one Italian night on Princess, all of the fare on Princess was about the same as offered on Celebrity. Both cruise lines have good food, IMHO. The new chef on Celebrity does seem to be leaning toward a more continental flare. This kind of worries me because I am with you and don't like food that is too fancy.

You mentioned the age of the Galaxy was a concern and I would recommend reading a lot of reviews about the condition of the Galaxy. I don't think Galaxy would do well in a comparison with the newer Princess ships.

Agree and echo previous cruisers --

If you thought Sun Princess was old, you may want to research more about Galaxy before booking. The two lines, Princess and Celebrity, we believe, are very comparable...and the biggest differences reveal themselves on the individual ships based on age and design.

As for food -- it's a gamble right now because Celebrity's food coin is in the air. That said, if Celebrity overhauls, I can't imagine Princess won't be far behind. The only safe bet is knowing that there isn't a safe bet. These lines are fiercely competitive and evolving.

FYI: We prefer Celebrity by a hair, but our favorite cruise was on Sun Princess two years ago...largely because of our waiter and his assistant -- Mongkul and Dirik from Thailand. Celebrity service is, overall, a notch above Princess...but sometimes it's a bit too stand-offish and formal. Mongkul and Dirik actually provided our family with a new language we continue to use to this day. When my parents are over for dinner, we no longer have dessert -- we have "sweety time." And my husband -- always (and understandably) somewhat uncomfortable calling my parents mom and dad since his father -- and later his mother -- died unexpected the year we married...quite happily adopted "mohhmmy and poppy" as their titles. These words remind us of what fun we had on Princess as a family and I can offer no higher praise. I'm nostalgic tonight, I guess.

It's strange how some people like certain ships and dislike others.

We sailed on Sun Princess back to back several years ago (20 days) and we were not impressed by the experience (having a flush toilet overflow for a couple of hours has a tendency to spoil one's mood). We have sailed on Galaxy 4 times and are booked for two more. I have also had issues with Galaxy because the ship was allowed to deteriorate more than it should have. It is undergoing a series of improvements and is scheduled for a 2 week dry dock in April.

We prefer Celebrity by a wide margin (420 days vs 110) over Princess because of the superior food and service.

What is a delicacy for one person can be a disgusting meal for another. It all depends what you are used to and what you might consider a good land based restaurant.

On ships the size you are contemplating you will at best receive banquet style food prepared hours prior to your consumption. There is no other way they can serve that many meals simultaneously.

We have opted for the smaller ships where all meals are cooked to order. You give up the large ship atmosphere with all its large gathering areas and theatrical events but then you gain in ambience and intimacy with the unique spaces created on the small ships.

So if you are a "foody" I don't think you will be satisfied on an everyday basis on one of these big ships no matter which line you choose. You just have to balance out what is important to you.

It is done, booked March 07, 2008 on the Galaxie!

We did for the itinuary, 8 islands on 10 days Southern Carribean!

Food and service seems excellent so ... looking forward to it!

Thank you all again

Francois

So if you are a "foody" I don't think you will be satisfied on an everyday basis on one of these big ships no matter which line you choose. You just have to balance out what is important to you.

He already stated that he liked Princess food.

give us advice.

And since most agree that food on Celebrity is better than on Princess, the decision is easy...

It is done, booked March 07, 2008 on the Galaxy!

Great itinerary, good choice and great place to be rather than Laval in March:D

I

Food and service seems excellent so ... looking forward to it!

Francois

Francois:

Comment ca va?

We will be docked in Quebec City on Celebrity's Constellation Oct 29 and 30th. 30 years ago we ate in the Auberge on Ile d'Orleans. It was the best meal we have ever enjoyed and we were serenaded by a live gypsy band. The Auberge is closed for the season and the owners have changed. Can you recommend a reasonable restaurant in Quebec City (no car this time) that would also have some entertainment?

Archived