Close Encounter w/ Dolphins worth the $$?

HNicoleL

In March of 2006, I took my husband to Atlantis for his birthday, and I made reservations at Dolphin Encounters for him and I. The website is (http://www.dolphinencounters.com/).

This is the same company as the excursion listed on RCCL's website. It is SO worth the time and money. We did the Swim with the Dolphins ($165/person) and I have never seen this Swim offered at any other Dolphin experience.

If you book directly with Dolphin Encounters, it looks to be less expensive to do the Close Encounter ($85.00/person) vs. $118.00 (RCCL). But, keep in mind that the dock is at Paradise Island (5-10 minute ride due to traffic), so you would have to find a taxi to take you there .... but I am sure it still would be less expensive to book yourself.

Hope you get the chance to do it - it is something I will always remember!

I saw in Nassau RCI offers a 'close encounter with dolphins' for $118/p. Is it worth the money?

Sounds very worth it. We did the Dolphin SWIM in Ocho Rios and it was not worth double that price which is what we paid. If I were going to Nassau and could do it again for only $118 then I would jump on booking. We were supposed to be able to do a dorsal fin pull/swim....never happened...plus we were unable to book it independently from Royal, we had to book it through them :rolleyes:

Go for it, sounds very worth the money!

How deep is the water. My son is not a swimmer and really likes to only go in water in which he can touch. He is 5'4 (special needs) so I am not sure if he would be able to touch the bottom. I see in alot of videos people are in life jackets do they provide them?

Thanks

Nicol

Taken right from their website - hope this helps! :)

"In the Close Encounter Program, each guest can expect a unique experience that brings you closer to an Atlantic Bottlenose dolphin than you ever dreamed possible. Your program begins with a fun interactive orientation, briefly covering the natural history of dolphins, animal training techniques, ocean conservation and Watchable Wildlife Guidlelines.

Down on the encounter float, you will stand on a waist-deep submerged platform and you will experience a heart-warming kiss, a hug, a dance and opportunities to rub down the dolphin. Your dolphin trainer will combine elements of hands-on contact, education, fun, laughter, and adventure to make this an unforgettable experience.

Our professional photo & video staff will be capturing your encounter on film so that you will have a chance to take home incredible souvenirs of your once-in-a-lifetime experience.

• <LI class=photocell>Price: $85 per person <LI class=photocell>Departure Times: 8:30 AM, 10:30 AM, 1:30 PM & 3:30 PM <LI class=photocell>Duration of Program: 30-minutes including orientation
  • Total Length of Tour: 3-3 ½ hours

YES!!! I did this with my DD and her friend in 05! It's THE BEST experience! Worth every single cent!! Also a beautiful boat ride to the lagoon as well! The lagoon is beautiful!! Your son should be fine, the water is not that deep and they do provide life vests. If or when we ever have the chance to do it again, we, without a doubt...WILL!! Don't worry about it...just do it...you will not be sorry!! Enjoy!!

Yes Yes Yes.

We did the Royal Swim at Cozumel and it was thrilling. I would hurry to book it as the Dolphin excursions sell out fast.

mdnikki- you are standing on a grille with water up to your waist,and you could stand there throughout the program. If you go for the Swim with dolphins then you swim from the grille out into a deep lagoon. You have lifejackets on which are provided,and you don't need to be a strong swimmer,but for the Royal Swim you have to be able to make your way out to the dolphins,tread water with your arms outstretched and for the push then you have to let the dolphins come up underneath you and lift you up.

The dolphin encounters are more of a pet/caress/pose for photos/ play with the animals while you are stationary on the grille. Not sure which one your child would be able to do,but it is an unforgettable day.

It's expensive, they have lots of photos and DVD for sale but the highlight of our cruise.

I saw in Nassau RCI offers a 'close encounter with dolphins' for $118/p. Is it worth the money?

It is SO worth the money. Just remember that a dolphin encounter is in waist deep water, no actual swimming involved. I was like a big kid when we did it in July. We bought the DVD and a ton of pictures. You'll love the visit and the scenery on the ride over from the ship is absolutely beautiful. Take your video camera. I actually fell asleep on my husband's sholder on the trip back, it was so calming.

In March of 2006, I took my husband to Atlantis for his birthday, and I made reservations at Dolphin Encounters for him and I. The website is (http://www.dolphinencounters.com/).

This is the same company as the excursion listed on RCCL's website. It is SO worth the time and money. We did the Swim with the Dolphins ($165/person) and I have never seen this Swim offered at any other Dolphin experience.

If you book directly with Dolphin Encounters, it looks to be less expensive to do the Close Encounter ($85.00/person) vs. $118.00 (RCCL). But, keep in mind that the dock is at Paradise Island (5-10 minute ride due to traffic), so you would have to find a taxi to take you there .... but I am sure it still would be less expensive to book yourself.

Hope you get the chance to do it - it is something I will always remember!

I second this! That is one of the very best dolphin encounters around. We did the Swim in Nassau and one in Bermuda and I would recommend the Nassau Swim hands down. It was a fantastic experience.

Just got back from Dolphin Encounters 2 weeks ago. We booked it through their web site. The swim was 165 it was a good 45 minutes or mor in the water with the dolphins. You are in life jackets. They kiss you dance with you splash you and the best part is that 2 dolphins come up behind you and push you across the water for a good 30 ft or more. Book it through their web site much cheaper than RCCL. There were 3 of us. My daughter and I went as observers for $20. My friend did the swim it was $165. They offer the encounter which is what RCCL offers for $85. You do need to take a cab or water taxi over to Paridise Island pier (water taxi was $3) then they take you to their island. When you are done with the dolphins they take you back to Paridise Island Pier and you can stay on the boat and get off by the cruise ship!!! If you have any other questions feel free to ask

How deep is the water. My son is not a swimmer and really likes to only go in water in which he can touch. He is 5'4 (special needs) so I am not sure if he would be able to touch the bottom. I see in alot of videos people are in life jackets do they provide them?

Thanks

Nicol

We are considering something similar, Nicol, and our ds is also special needs, but would likely love this experience, which we may consider when we travel in Feb. on Vision to Mexican Riviera. He swims, but is a bit leery being in the ocean and not sure of what he may 'encounter'. He has balance problems, but with a life vest on and someone there, he should do fine. Good luck!

Thanks

Nicol

Hi Nicol,

We too have a son with special needs and are taking him cruising in November , we want him to have the experience of swimming with the dolphins as we did it in Curacao 2 yrs ago and it was fabulous.

I have contacted Xcaret in Cozumel and the dolphin experience offered for St Martin and have asked them a whole load of questions about the experience to see which would be best for Aaron but alas as yet i have recieved no reply from either.

I'm very sure that all the Dolphin experiences will supply floatation aids, the one we did in Curacao did.

Kim

We did the swim in Nassau a few years ago and it was fantastic. We booked it directly ourselves over the net. At that time, only the encounter and not the swim was available through the cruise ship. All those folks looked at us so enviously when we really interacted with the dolphins.

It was a cheap ride over and we bummed a ride back on the same boat that was ferrying cruise ship passengers.

I did a lot of research ahead of time as I was concerned about how humanely the dolphins are treated, etc. and was very comfortable with Dolphin Encounters in Nassau. I also read a lot about other places who are more interested in capitalizing on the popularity of such experiences and don't really care about the welfare of the dolphins.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Thanks

Nicol

You can see in the picture I posted how deep the water is. I am 5'4 as well. The water went to my waist. You step down into something that looks like an inground swimming pool. The dolphins can swim in and out of the pool and can swim right up to you.

So no deeper than waist high.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I see a bunch of different prices are there different fees depending on if you just touch the dolphins or if you actually do the swim where they push you.

I am not sure my son would do that one as you seem to be out in deep water but he would like to touch them and get the kiss.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I see a bunch of different prices are there different fees depending on if you just touch the dolphins or if you actually do the swim where they push you.

I am not sure my son would do that one as you seem to be out in deep water but he would like to touch them and get the kiss.

The one we did all three times was called the "Close Dolphin Encounter"

Shallow water, waist high. Kisses and hugs. Pictures taken. :D

We did it in Puerto Vallarta. It's amazing. I'm fairly thrifty and was convinced its worthwhile. One of the dolphins was pregnant & flipped upside down so we could pet her tummy. another dove to the bottom & fetched up someone's lost sunglasses. for a sardine they could take the SAT's for you.

500263713_006_6_21.jpg.3ea46a918554db06e8b99ef611bafff0.jpg

492779065_002_21.jpg.870ed4323afe63d7de6d2a46064a9518.jpg

dh and i did it in miami. it was amazing! we did it there instead of nassau cuz it was cheaper. i imagine the facilities are nicer in nassau, but it was still fantastic. i highly recommend it.

kiss.jpg

p.s. we got "rides" and, even tho' i'm not a good swimmer, the depth of the lagoon didn't bother me at all. the salt water and wetsuit helped a lot, plus i wasn't floating out there by myself for more than a few seconds.

Archived