Itching because the bar soap does not wash off because of the soft water on board

Bobnapples

I make my own soap from scratch (not melt and pour). I use olive oil, coconut oil, stearic acid, castor oil, almond oil, and sodium hydroxide (lye). Most of the time, I use essential oils instead of synthetic fragrance oils. I always take my own soap to use on cruises and never had any problems with it not rinsing off cleanly.

As someone mentioned, there are quite a few of us soapers around on the internet. I also make my own laundry detergent by grating my soap and mixing it with washing soda and borax.

S7S, It was after we visited Dominica and purchased some of their wonderful green soap that I started making my own. I took one 30 min. class at a craft store and haven`t looked back!! Whenever grandkids or nieces stop by, they always want to make soap with me. There are several web sites for supplies. I also make bath salts, and lip balm.....jean :cool:

Jean.....That is fabulous. I love that green soap. It's so moisturizing. Do you have any idea what they put in it besides aloe and coconut?

I can't get enough of it.

Sail, I`ve been wondering also what base they use. I think probably the old fashioned way with lye (don`t sound too good ) but all soap was made that way before modern chemicals were added to our beauty products...jean :cool:

I suspect you may be correct about the lye. While I would not dream of eating anything with lye or fried in it, I think it could be very moisturizing on the skin.

It is inexpensive and easily obtained so it is very possible that is the base those ladies are using. Whatever it is, I really like that soap and plan to 'load up' on it when we are in Dominica in January.

When I was a cosmetologist, we used soft water. Soft water rinses cleaner. That slippery feeling of your skin is clean skin. When you wash in hard water, minerals and some of the soap stays on your skin. That is why your skin does not feel as slippery. The reason fine hair has more body after washing in hard water is because of the deposits left behind. When people have ichy skin, it is usually related to the perfumes in the soaps.

Sail 7 Seas wrote: "You said "LYE" and I was thinking "LARD". I certainly hope I'm not served lye to eat." :(

I wouldn't want to eat lard, either. As they say, "You ARE what you eat."

slinkie

I absolutely agree......I would not want to eat lard either.

I fully agree you ARE what you eat. We eat very healthy in this house. :)

We have had conversation in recent weeks on this Board about various diets/ways of eating/lifestyles in food selection. In came up in terms of can a pax adhere to various ways of eating while aboard ships. Specifically South Beach, Atkins etc

Archived