Wheat Gluten Allergy (Celiac disease) and Celebrity

Morganw42

I've just learned that I may have Celiac disease (wheat gluten allergy). I'm having a blood test today to be certain. Having just booked a cruise on the Millennium I'm nervous that I may have a restricted diet. Has anyone had any experience with a wheat gluten allergy on Celebrity? Were they able to provide gluten-free dishes? If so, was the food any good or was it just treated like an inconvenience by the kitchen?

Thanks,

Morgan

First of all, you need to write Celebrity's onboard guest services and request gluten free menus. Then, once you're on board, speak to the head waiter for your area. They will work with you on providing menu items that are gluten free. They do this kind of thing all the time, so they're used to it.

Good luck and I hope your blood test comes back negative. But no matter, you'll be able to cruise without problems.

Hi Morgan,

While I am not personally afflicted, we have twice had tablemates that required a gluten free diet. The Head waiter visited our table the first night of the cruise to discuss the menu options with the person that had the special diet needs. After that, at the end of the meal, the head waiter would bring the next days gluten free menu, to obtain the dieters order for the next days meal. The head waiter was very helpful, and the meal orders were handled in a very unobtrusive manner. There was never any problem with the special diet food, and the gluten free meals were served right along with the regular menu items.

You should contact the special needs office, at Celebrity, so that they are aware of your dietary needs so they can be prepared to work with you. It might be a good idea to check with the maitre 'd after you get on board, just to be sure they recieved your menu request. The head waiter will also provide information about gluten in the preparation of other food items at the other dining venues.

petert

On the last cruise we did (Transatlantic on ML this spring) a lady tablemate required gluten free meals and the waiter had difficulty with her explanations of "gluten free" even although she had made it known to Celebrity prior to the cruise. After a couple of nights of having very little food presented because they obviously did not know exactly what she could /could not eat,...we suggested she spoke to the maitre 'D responsible for our table as she was becoming frustrated by the small amount and content of what was being offered and was feeling very hungry!

As soon as he took over, things improved and like others have said ....he came every night with menus for her to choose what she could have next day...so it worked out well once they really dealt with her problem and responded appropriately.

(I would definitely alert them to your need to have gluten free food prior to boarding but perhaps follow up with a talk with the maitre'D immediately your first night so that you can be given the menus to choose from ahead of schedule..maybe the first night will be open seating but he will know what table you will eventually be seated at , so you will have the same service there.)

We were on the Mercury, Aug 17th. One of our tablemates has a severe allergy to oranges. I have never seen a cruise line treat someone with so much care and respect. Every night at the end of the meal they brought her the next night's menu and took her order. They told her they would make her meal in a separate area to make sure it wasn't even near where the oranges were prepared. I was extremely pleased with they way they treated her. These passengers sent a letter to Celebrity commending them for this excellent service! They have been on NCL, RCL and Princess and NEVER received such great service.

Fisherwoman

On my last cruise aboard Summit, one table mates had Celiac. The Maitre D quickly took care of him. After dinner each night the regular menu for the next night was presented. The afflicted tablemate chose an entree. The next day the entree was provided with healthy portions of vegetables. Desert was a surprise each night for the Celiac. Celebrity also provides gluten free bread, which the Celiac declared quite good. Our Celiac tablemate seemed to enjoy his meals.

I've just learned that I may have Celiac disease (wheat gluten allergy). I'm having a blood test today to be certain. Having just booked a cruise on the Millennium I'm nervous that I may have a restricted diet. Has anyone had any experience with a wheat gluten allergy on Celebrity? Were they able to provide gluten-free dishes? If so, was the food any good or was it just treated like an inconvenience by the kitchen?

Thanks,

Morgan

ABSOLUTELY THEY WILL TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU! This is one of the most common diet requests that the cruise lines get - even more common than a diabetic diet. They will ask that you eat all of your meals in the dining room, not at the buffet, that is the only way they can control what is served to you. At the buffet you risk cross contamination as other passengers with move the tongs around and you do not 'really' know what foods the tongs have been used on. You will be allowed to bring any "favorite" snacks aboard with you, but they must be prepackaged commercial items, nothing home-made and brought in Tupperware or zip-lock, etc. If you have 'special requests' you will be given an email address of a dietitian and you will need to settle all of that with her about 45-60 days before you cruise. If you have any additional questions, just call the Celebrity/Royal Caribbean Special Services Deck, there is a phone number on their web site.

Morgan,

If you advise Celebrity in advance, and then reconfirm on board, you should be fine. I would recommend that you print out your emailed dietary request and Celebrity's reply confirmation and take it with you should anyone not understand, such as the waiter.

While on board, we were well taken care of on Connie by Assistant Maitre d' Ryan (can't recall last name, from South Africa).

Also, I would also recommend you bring some rice crackers with you. This way you have something to put cheese, etc. on if you're at dinner or an event where there are only wheat crackers. I don't think Celebrity had rice crackers onboard, but can't specifically recall.

To advise Celebrity, you can email special_needs@celebrity.com. Our note is below, in case it is helpful as a template.

OUR REQUEST:

Dear Celebrity special needs representative,

We have dietary requests for our upcoming cruise on Celebrity Constellation, leaving April 25, 2007 from Southampton.

Our reservation is XXXXX, and we will be in YYY.

My wife is required by her physician to avoid wheat & gluten, dairy, and refined sugar.

Therefore, we request that substitute food products be available, including:

Brown rice pasta

Rice crackers

Non-dairy creamer for tea/coffee

Non-dairy/sugar-free dessert topping (such as sugar free Cool Whip)

Fresh berries (blackberry, raspberry, etc) since she can’t eat most desserts

I haven’t requested specific prepared dishes to be made, but we would very much appreciate any effort by the chefs to prepare menu items that avoiding wheat, gluten, dairy, and refined sugar.

Please confirm receipt of this request.

Thank you very much for your help!

---

AND CELEBRITY'S EMAIL REPLY:

Good Day. The reservation has been noted and the ship will be advised of your special dietary needs.

Your special diet can only be accommodated in the main dining area only. If you choose to eat at an alternate restaurant, it will be at your own discretion.

Kindly meet with the Restaurant Manager for final confirmation once you board.

Best Regards,

Access Staff - BES

Please make sure you confirm as some of the others have said with the special needs dept at celebrity. It's not to simply have your TA note the booking. I am a TA and have sailed with a friend who has Celiac and if the proper notification is sent and you talk to the maitre d' you will be fine. The last night of the cruise I watched as our waiter looked at her plate of beautifully breaded chicken. He didn't say a word to us, but I saw him get on the phone and call the chef. He found out the chef prepared the chicken with gluten-free breadcrumbs, and it was delicious! In addition to main dishes, the girl with us asked for extra portions of vegetables each night. Every night there was a beautiful plate of various prepared veggies that looked delightful!

Trust me when I say that Maitre d' received a very generous tip as did the waiters at our table. Our friend told the Maitre d' that he ablsolutly ruined any chance of her finding a life mate...how could anyone compare to him!:D

Enjoy your cruise!

We, too, travel annually with a friend who requires a gluten-free diet. Our last cruise on Mercury was perfect for him. As others have noted, our head waiter visited out table each evening to discuss the menu for the following evening. Their care and concern was genuine and he continues to have wonderful cruises on Celebrity. Do let your TA know, make a note in your on-line documents when you complete your paperwork before the cruise and visit with the Maitre 'd to confirm when you board.

ENJOY!

Archived