Danang to Hue Vietnam - type of roads

shifty

An RCCL excursion - "Imperial Hue" - indicates that the bus ride from Danang to Hue includes "passage over Vietnam's highest pass" - the Hai Van (Cloudy) Pass. My wife has a fear of mountain roads that have sheer drops, no guard rails etc (For example, she won't do the Amalfi Coast).

Has anyone been on this road & if so, does it have guard rails and/or other safety walls?

Mike S.

An RCCL excursion - "Imperial Hue" - indicates that the bus ride from Danang to Hue includes "passage over Vietnam's highest pass" - the Hai Van (Cloudy) Pass. My wife has a fear of mountain roads that have sheer drops, no guard rails etc (For example, she won't do the Amalfi Coast).

Has anyone been on this road & if so, does it have guard rails and/or other safety walls?

Mike S.

No guard rails, etc., in most of the road-at least not like we are used to in the USA. The road drops off the side with long drop offs to the ocean. The road is narrow with lots of truck traffic, motor bikes, etc.. I can't say whether it would be scary, as those kind of things don't bother me. There are quite a few hair pin turns, as you are climbing to the top of the pass.

Hai Van Pass is on the main north/south route through Vietnam. The road was built by the Americans for troop and supply transport-HWY 1. This area was the scene of very ferocious fighting during the Vietnam War. This was also the dividing line between north and south Vietnam.

If you have time, you can take the train. I have taken the train twice from Da Nang/Nha Trang to Hanoi. It is about 3 hours from DaNang to Hue. The train doesn't run quite as close to the "edge" as the road and I would guess you wouldn't have the same "fear of falling" as you would on the road. Same magnificent scenery. The train leaves about 8:30 in the morning from DaNang and returns about 6:00PM. Here is info on the train. You can book via the online agencies listed. The train staff tends to put all the "westerners" in the same car. http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#5-Star

Hope this info was helpful.

Mike S.

Let me introduce myself as travel agent in Vietnam - Transindochina Travel. Please do not worry as Hai Van Pass (Cloudy Pass) actually is not as high as it sounds. Now they have open a tunnel via this pass. However, you will have a stunning view from the pass if you take the normal way.

http://www.indochina-packagetours.com

• 1 month later...

We also don't like mountain roads so will pass on Hue. Does anybody know about the road from Da Nang to Hoi An - it looks as if it follows the coast so I am hoping it is not mountainous but it does pass the Marble Mountains (I think) so would really appreciate any information from somebody who has done it. Also, is it easy to get a taxi at Da Nang dock or should we prebook a car and driver for the day ?

Thank you !

We took the tour from Da Nang to Hoi An. The area we covered did not have extremely high mountains. When we passed through the Marble Mts, we followed the valley—no high passes, no hair pin curves, no frightening cliffs. We really enjoyed Hoi An. We did a walking tour there that was very interesting— a high point on our cruise. Our tour also included lunch (which was excellent), a stop at the marble works, and a stop at China Beach.

blue whale...... Sounds like you took exactly the kind of tour we are looking to book!! Indeed, Hoi An (I've been there before) is a delight; did you happen to have lunch at Brothers??

Could you please let me know if this was a privately booked tour or something you got through the cruise line?? When you say "marble works" do you mean the Cham Museum??

Thanks,

BettyNL

• 7 months later...

I have taken this tour to Hue and found that the experience is one that I remember fondly from my cruise. The motor coach was expertedly driven over the Pass to Hue and through the tunnel when returning to Danang. I did not find the road to be scary. But, the description of the road by others who have posted on this thread is accurate. The scenery was beautiful. Hue, itself, was quite interesting. The only downside of the tour was that it took as much time to get to Hue and to return as we actually had in Hue.

shifty,

We took a tour from Da Nang to Hue this April on Nautica's tour bus - nothing scary at all; honestly, I have seen much more dramatic drops/cliffs, etc. even in civilized Alps... There is a lot of traffic, and the speed limit mostly is set around 30 km/h (less than 20 mi/h), so it kinda takes away the thrill completely.

I agree with Marylander. We did the exact same excursion whilst on the Nautica and I was waiting for the terrifying drive over the mountain. It was nothing as far as I was concerned and I was beginning to wonder if we took the correct road.

We endured extreme heat and humidity whilst there. I think it was 35C with 90% humidity. If you are visiting in April, I would rethink about going as it was just so hot and it did take a lot of the joy out of the visit.

Jennie

Archived