Most unique/unusual experience in Hong Kong

AdventureSeeker

• 2 weeks later...

We were fortunate to actually have two former Hong Kong residents with us at our table, so they took us on a cook's tour of the city. Our favorite was the fish market in the early morning.

We also enjoyed checking out all the shops on 'fish street' - its where they sold pet fish. We tried to make it over to bird alley, but got sidetracked by a department store and ended up shoppping instead.

We also enjoyed going through a local supermarket and checking out what was for sale.

Charlie

Adventureseeker,

In our wanders in Hong Kong, we chanced upon a snake shop where snakes of every description were in cages or drawers. The proprietor was somewhat impressed that non-Chinese people, like us, were interested in his merchandise. He proceeded to show us how to remove the gall bladder from a live snake, which is used in Chinese medicine, and then returned the snake to its basket. He advised that it does the snake no harm and it will continue to live.

He then removed a King Cobra from its drawer, and summarily placed it on the counter in front of us. He was anxious for us to photograph the cobra, who was not responding to our attentions. He agitated the snake, so its hood stood out and I have a lovely, blurred close-up picture as a result.

A once in a lifetime experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We loved all the things the other posters have suggeated plus:

• the trams which take you the full length of the city for a very reasonable cost.
  • The funicular up to the top of Victoria Peak. There is a cafe with a terrace with the most spectacular views across the city.
  • Stanley and Stanley market - a short public transport bus ride from the city through pleasant countryside.
  • the Star ferry ride across the harbour from Kowloon to Hong Kong - cheap and short but fantastic views.
  • The botanical gardens in the city centre.
  • Temple Street night market on Kowloon.
  • The subway system.

We just loved the whole place. There was so much excitement and vibrancy. Have a great time.

We loved all the things the other posters have suggeated plus:

• the trams which take you the full length of the city for a very reasonable cost.
  • The funicular up to the top of Victoria Peak. There is a cafe with a terrace with the most spectacular views across the city.
  • Stanley and Stanley market - a short public transport bus ride from the city through pleasant countryside.
  • the Star ferry ride across the harbour from Kowloon to Hong Kong - cheap and short but fantastic views.
  • The botanical gardens in the city centre.
  • Temple Street night market on Kowloon.
  • The subway system.

We just loved the whole place. There was so much excitement and vibrancy. Have a great time.

soccerref,

I am interested in taking the tram while in HK but have had trouble getting the information I want. Where is the end point for each end of the tram? Knowing that this could vary, how long would it take to travel from one end of the line to the other? The Amsterdam will be docked at Ocean Terminal in Kowloon and I will take the Star Ferry to the Island. So, where would it be most convienent to catch the tram after leaving the Star Ferry Terminal? Thanks for you help!

Adventureseeker,

In our wanders in Hong Kong, we chanced upon a snake shop where snakes of every description were in cages or drawers. The proprietor was somewhat impressed that non-Chinese people, like us, were interested in his merchandise. He proceeded to show us how to remove the gall bladder from a live snake, which is used in Chinese medicine, and then returned the snake to its basket. He advised that it does the snake no harm and it will continue to live.

He then removed a King Cobra from its drawer, and summarily placed it on the counter in front of us. He was anxious for us to photograph the cobra, who was not responding to our attentions. He agitated the snake, so its hood stood out and I have a lovely, blurred close-up picture as a result.

A once in a lifetime experience.

I loved your description of the snake shop! This was the type of information I was looking for. Something a little out of the ordinary :)

soccerref,

I am interested in taking the tram while in HK but have had trouble getting the information I want. Where is the end point for each end of the tram? Knowing that this could vary, how long would it take to travel from one end of the line to the other? The Amsterdam will be docked at Ocean Terminal in Kowloon and I will take the Star Ferry to the Island. So, where would it be most convienent to catch the tram after leaving the Star Ferry Terminal? Thanks for you help!

Hi,

We were last in Hongkong 3 years ago so I'm a bit hazy on details. I seem to remember that it is easy to find maps of the city which give details of the transport routes. I think it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to travel the full length but there are frequent stops and I'm fairly sure that there is one near the Star ferry terminal. I'm sorry to be less than helpful. Maybe someone else will be able to give you a more detailed response.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards Soccerref

Archived