You won't believe what our travel agent DID!

katb85

Another thing folks should look for when paying a deposit or any amount for a cruise. Make sure that your credit card statement shows a charge by the cruise line and not the agency. If the agent charges your account and not the cruise line then that is a red flag right there that they are using your money to float their business.

If I were in your shoes, I would be at this ladies business tomorrow morning with my documentation and tell her that she is to find a ship that your ENTIRE family can board for the same accommodations and price and if she doesn't that you will have the local news down here along with an attorney. No way would I settle for someone doing this to me. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

This is out right fraud! It sounds like she would offer to do the fun passes to cover up her actions. This is probably not an isolated case. She probably has the whole routine down but this time she got caught. She probably waits until the last minute to book the cruise at a much cheaper price, then when she books that cheaper price cabin she then fills out the fun pass. That's why she offers to do the fun pass for you, so you don't realize that you don't have a booking number until the last minute.

You should definately call Carnival, maybe they can do something for you. You should also definately call your State Attorney General.

I am so sorry for you. Let us know how things work out. I wish you well.

Did you pay by credit card? Carnival is the only entity authorized to process a card payment for your cruise. I am guessing the payment was paid in cash or by check not credit card. Is that correct? If it was a credit card transaction and she processed the charge through her agency rather than running it through Carnival, then you have all the proof you need to nail her to the wall legally and with Carnival and also get your money back. Regardless of who you book your cruise with, never, ever, ever, pay by anything other than a credit or a debit card. It is just too much temptation for unscrupulous people. I am so sorry you have to deal with this. You shouldn't have to work this hard to take a stinkin vacation!

If I were in your shoes, I would be at this ladies business tomorrow morning with my documentation and tell her that she is to find a ship that your ENTIRE family can board for the same accommodations and price and if she doesn't that you will have the local news down here along with an attorney. No way would I settle for someone doing this to me. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Hi Gordon!!!!

OP: Please do come back and let us know what you decide to do....

We are booked for a cruise leaving Sunday, or should I say were supposed to be booked:mad: . We booked and paid for this back in April. The travel agent took our money (for at least 12 cabins) used it, and then tried to book all the cabins at the last minute. Well needless to say, the cruise is full and 4 of us don't have a cabin. She did the same thing to another group and they don't have all their cabins! She put 6 cabins on standby. I am so furious! What chance will we have getting a cabin?

Something does not make sense here... you did not get booking #'s on all the staterooms when you paid (first critical mistake in my eyes) BUT the TA did the FunPasses for everyone (why did you not ask for those copies of the FunPasses would be my next thought)??? Something is not adding up here and I dont think we are getting the full story to make suggestions of what to do yet. I am so sorry that this TA has yet again tarnished the reputation of TA's out there that really do a good job. I hope you will share more with us as things develop and wish you luck.

WOW! Is there any way to get on another ship leaving the same port?

I would be livid! (to say the least)

But in the future always get a booking number. I monitor online what my TA does by using the booking number.

besides the booking number, when you paid (hopefully by credit card) it should always say the name of the cruise line and not the travel agency.

Sounds like she is short of funds and playing games with peoples money. Sounds like she is heading for a closure one way or another.

Bill

The fun passes that I was referring to were on all the previous cruises that we had taken. My stepmother gets a group cruise up once a year, and has done this for about 10 years. The travel agent sends everything to her and she hands them out when we meet up for the cruise. We pay my stepmother and then she pays the travel agent by credit card. She's very upset. I will make sure this travel agent pays for this. She has messed with the wrong people this time.

Well if indeed these cruises were all paid for by credit card and the agent did not submit the required info to Carnival so the cruise line could directly charge it to the card and the TA went ahead and processed a payment through her own agency and the agency recieved the proceeds of that charge (not Carnival), then you've got all the proof you need to nail her to the wall. Plus if you go through the credit card company to get the money back, the cc company will also assess a chargeback penalty to the TA.

I'd go right down and file a small claim against her (depending on how much money was spent and the limits in your state)I would also see about criminal prosecution as well as the civil suit.

Fantastic! Still trying to get you to join us on the Mariner. I just led Merion Mom to your tilt video link. Has she seen them yet, do you know?

I am jumping the gun and going on the Oosterdam next year out of San Diego. I have my eye on the Genesis first cruise so 09 is up in the air right now.:)

Not sure if Carol has seen that post. I'm sure that she will post when she does.

We are booked for a cruise leaving Sunday, or should I say were supposed to be booked:mad: . We booked and paid for this back in April. The travel agent took our money (for at least 12 cabins) used it, and then tried to book all the cabins at the last minute. Well needless to say, the cruise is full and 4 of us don't have a cabin. She did the same thing to another group and they don't have all their cabins! She put 6 cabins on standby. I am so furious! What chance will we have getting a cabin?

Is there a TA licensing board you can contact? This can't happen to another traveler.

I am jumping the gun and going on the Oosterdam next year out of San Diego. I have my eye on the Genesis first cruise so 09 is up in the air right now.:)

Not sure if Carol has seen that post. I'm sure that she will post when she does.

Are you kidding? The Oosterdam could be a tender boat for Genesis... :D

Back on topic - I would just be sick to my stomach if this were us. :(

Time to sue the heck out of her! :mad:

Reason #1048 as to why I do not use a T/A.

Fred

request a quote for a cruise online from one site

receive numerous quotes from many independent agents

book online from one of the e-mailed quotes I select

get a Carnival booking # e-mailed to me IMMEDIATELY

go to Carnival's site and fill out the funpass IMMEDIATELY

ALL MONIES PASS IMMEDIATELY TO CARNIVAL

The whole process takes 20 minutes :) I print out copies of the ENTIRE process.

Piece of cake. :D

Years ago an agency in our town did the same thing except they went one step further -- they skipped town.

They were always kind of sleazy but it was almost more funny than anything at first. For example, they'd tell clients that they shouldn't book a three-night cruise with us because for the same money they could give them a four-DAY cruise. People really fell for that.

About a month before they skipped we had heard enough that we were convinced that a major fraud was going on so I went to the Sheriff's fraud detective and went over everything for him. Nothing happened.

The day after Thanksgiving I got a call from our Carnival DSM who asked me to go by the other agency's office and see what was going on -- they'd been getting calls that the office had been cleaned out. The landloed was there also -- kind of confused about all of the furniture and office equipment being missing since he was renting the office to them fully furnished.

The CCL, RCCL, Princess, and HAL reps put their heads together and asked me to straighten out the mess as best as possible. After a couple of months of documenting everything and accouinting for every missing dollar (over $200,000) I again took everything to the Sheriff. Heck, I had done 98% of the work for them and they still declined to prosecute. They said it was best handled as a civil matter.

Anyway, here is what I learned:

Law enforcement may not help.

The cruise lines will do almost NOTHING for those ripped off in a fraud. The biggest concession I could get out of any of them is some would waive the cancellation penalties if the clients had their final payment stolen and they coulfn't make the payment a second time.

Both of the agency owners ended up working at another agency within 60 days, again handling client money. However. I kept track of them and made anonymous phone calls that got them fired from a few agencies until I got out of the business. But with no licensing necessary in CA there's no way to stop them.

The only clients who got their money back were the parents of a local police sergeant who made a couple of off-duty visits to their house. And he was a BIG guy. Everything else was erased in a bankruptcy filing

Go through the steps to file a criminal complaint but don't hold your breath. Be prepared to hire your own attorney or pursue the matter in small claims court. I'm almost 100% sure you're not the only one in this situation so contacting the media isn't a bad idea. One lawyer handling a bunch of cases can be more cost effective. I went on TV looking for victims and got a good response -- sincwe thw files were missing there were few other options.

And if the owners of this agency are named Victor and Sylvia I'll just scream.

...........I think that someone booking through this TA now...... is contributing the funds to book your cruise.........:rolleyes:

Sorry. Let me explain. This would have been my 5th cruise, so I am talking about the other cruises. My stepmother has always used her. She has booked probably 15 cruises, not to mention trips to Hawaii and Israel through her. We just get our documents from her when we all meet up for the cruise.

Sorry to hear about your mess. Best of luck at least getting your money back if you are unable to get on. ..... But this TA was obviously betting on the come that the price would drop at the last minute.

We always make sure we have a booking with booking number and are able to go online at the line's web site to see it. We then periodically check it to make sure it is current or if we have gotten an upgrade. Documents always come just before sailing date.

First of all, I am SO sorry that this happened to you, I can't even imagine how completely furious you must be, and you have every right to feel that way. I liked your comment that you "won't stop until she is finished", I swear, if it were me, I'd park my butt outside her door with a huge sign "THIS TA RIPPED ME OFF", call her every day to get all over her butt about what she did, report her to every agency that I could, etc...

Not only did she scr** the people who now don't have cabins, but she also did it a job on the people who will be sailing, without their family and friends. They deserve more than a refund, they deserve compensation.

Yup, FURIOUS.

Yes, you should have gotten booking numbers and confirmations immediately, but you didn't. It's not your fault, you trusted your TA. Now you know better for the future, but it's not helping you now. So sorry!

I always use the same travel agent because she is "wonderful"! Also, whenever I do book a cruise she "always" give me the "booking number". As soon as I receive that number I go on-line with the cruise company that I am cruising with and double check the booking. I double check the cabin number, cruise line & also time booked for dinner. Only once did I have to call back with an incorrect dinner time. But that way you get what you are paying for.

She's owned her own travel agency for years. We always had to wait till the last minute to get our documents. I guess this time it caught up with her. I am not going to take a refund and just be happy. I will see to it that she is finished.

What State is she in? Several states have seller of travel laws. That is unethical what she is doing. Carnival assigns booking numbers once names and deposits are paid. She should have forwarded the booking numbers to each clients,so they could use them for fun pass registration. :(

Archived