rental car in dunedin

laminar

Does it make sense to rent a car in this town?

I would like to tour the area where the penguins and the albatros are. I am not sure about the organized tours.

But when trying to rent a car, they asked for a credit card and the cxl fee was one day of rental.

Are there any cars available the day when the ships dock?

The other thing, my ship docks there on Sunday.

Anybody has information about it?

Thanks for your help!!

• 2 weeks later...

there are no rental cars at the pier, you have to arrange in advance. the driving is scary not just because of the left side thing, but there are numerous traffic circles that will make you crazy--they go backwards. We reserved a car but chickened out. I had made reservations for both the albatross place and the penguin place (reservations are essential). we were able to join another couple while disembarking who reserved a van with Mt Classic, who called for reservations to Penguin Place and the albatross place.

the driving is scary not just because of the left side thing, but there are numerous traffic circles that will make you crazy--they go backwards

You have no idea how funny that sounds :D :D :D

We ventured out on our own in Dunedin with a Hertz rental car and did not find the driving to be scary or difficult at all. We only encountered one circular intersection (we're not used to driving on the left or encountering roundabouts either). The first try we didn't get to where we wanted to go, so we simply turned around on a side street and then easily got ourselves back to the Hertz office. Just allow a little extra time for finding your way back.

We went on our own to Penguin Place, which was excellent & very interesting. But you should be aware that the adult penguins are out to sea during the day, so we were only able to view 2 chicks on land. We were able to look at them at a very close distance, only a few feet away. The parents/adult penguins return at dusk, so that doesn't allow for a person visiting via cruise ship to witness lots of penguins! Then we drove to take a look at the Albatross Colony (just walked around a bit, it was too cold & windy). Last stop of "tourist attractions" was Larnach Caste, very beautiful. There is the road along the water to get to all of these places, which is easy and scenic with interesting stops for restaruants & shops. On the way back to town from Larnch Castle is an inland road, which was also easy and scenic.

Correct, there are no car rental companies where the ship docks, you have to take the shuttle into town. The nice Hertz people drove us back to the ship at the end of the day. I don't know if they're open on Sundays.

Actually we have booked a car with Dunedin Car Hire and they are bringing the car to the dock. This is quoted from their confirmation email: "We will be standing outside the Port Otago building (glass building) which is directly beside the Entry/Exit gate from the dock. We will be holding a small sign with your name on it. If your docking time is 9am it will take approx one hour before we would see you.

We will keep an eye on your docking time on the internet."

Organized everything through their website and by email, and it was very easy.

They are not charging us for meeting us at the dock (that I know of! pretty sure that is the full price though) and it is a budget people-mover Toyota Previa (8 seats) with airbags for NZ$99. I don't think it is a new car, it's probably 6-8 years old or something like that, but then my own car is 9 years old so I'm ok with that!

www.dunedinrentalcars.co.nz

Archived