gratuities

Jesterscourt

Princess has provided a convenience for us by automatically billing our staterooms for the tips at the end of the cruise. However, I have noticed a tendency for individuals to tip in addition to that. Are we doing this because the employees are still not getting paid enough or has the service stepped up? Is it now becoming standard practice to do this? I am not necessarily opposed to this but I am trying to understand the logic behind it, so I can do the right thing on our trip. I know this subject has been discussed at length (ad nauseum!), but I would honestly like some advice about the extra gratuities.

Princess has provided a convenience for us by automatically billing our staterooms for the tips at the end of the cruise. However, I have noticed a tendency for individuals to tip in addition to that. Are we doing this because the employees are still not getting paid enough or has the service stepped up? Is it now becoming standard practice to do this? I am not necessarily opposed to this but I am trying to understand the logic behind it, so I can do the right thing on our trip. I know this subject has been discussed at length (ad nauseum!), but I would honestly like some advice about the extra gratuities.

Personally, we tip the normal amount for normal service. If we feel that we get outstanding service from a particular individual, we tip a nice extra amount. Usually the cabin stewart or suite attendant and the waiter in most cases have gotten extra from us.

We also always leave the auto tip in place. IF we receive service above and beyond for special requests, or IF we are in a full suite, then we do tip additionally to the auto tip, amount depends on the length of cruise we happen to be on.

But for just ample service, then no, we do not add to the auto tip.

It just all depends on how good the service personel are on that particular sailing.

I leave the auto-tip on and as the others have said, tip extra ONLY if the service has been especially good or the steward/waitstaff have gone beyond the usual. Sometimes I tip extra (if I've asked for an egg crate or something special in the cabin or requested a special entree for dinner) but often, I don't. It's really up to you.

We also always leave the auto tip in place. IF we receive service above and beyond for special requests, or IF we are in a full suite, then we do tip additionally to the auto tip, amount depends on the length of cruise we happen to be on.

But for just ample service, then no, we do not add to the auto tip.

Agree with every word of this!

Here we go. Another thread about tipping that will end up in an endless debate over everyone's own personal philosophy and their validity.

There have been many, many discussions about tipping on this Board and you can do a search to find thousands of responses.

Sorry if I sound bitter/impatient with this subject, but it is a pet-peeve of mine that this Board endlessly beats an already dead, buried and decomposed horse.

And someone will no doubt remind me that if I am not interested in rehashing an already rehashed and never-ending topic, don't click on the thread. Thank you in advance. :-)

Gramps. You are 100% correct. Here we go again. Tiresome. Isn't It? But there will be many responses. Perhaps people like to see their name up on the boards. Like us?

You and Gramps are just posting novices. Wait until you reach the higher numbers and then see how often you post. :D

As for tipping......I'm not beating the horse.

Pia

Gramps, your response was uncalled for. What if a person new to cruising asks a simple question and gets knocked down like that? Thus far, there has been excellent and succinct advice on the topic, and not endless debate or philosophy as you have called it. If you were just joking, I apologize; otherwise, you need to lighten up!

Jesterscourt~

Some folks here that apparently know everything there is to know about cruising:rolleyes: and forget that we all need info (after all that is what these boards are for) get their speedos all bunched up about certain topics:D

They cyber-scream "use the search function! search the thread!" as if we knew what the heck that meant, or how to do that ,when we stumbled across these boards by accident one day:rolleyes:

You WILL find alot of lovely and saavy souls here that will help you on your info quest and I commend you for hanging in there long enough to meet all the really great folks who post here! Welcome!:)

Jesterscourt~

Some folks here that apparently know everything there is to know about cruising:rolleyes: and forget that we all need info (after all that is what these boards are for) get their speedos all bunched up about certain topics:D

They cyber-scream "use the search function! search the thread!" as if we knew what the heck that meant, or how to do that ,when we stumbled across these boards by accident one day:rolleyes:

You WILL find alot of lovely and saavy souls here that will help you on your info quest and I commend you for hanging in there long enough to meet all the really great folks who post here! Welcome!:)

Well Said!

We rarely tip above what's billed to us, but we have had a few cirumstances with crew where we felt they went beyond the call of duty and deserved a little more - personally.

So, for example, last cruise we have handed over an extra $80 in tips. And we felt it was all deserved.

Judy

We rarely tip above what's billed to us, but we have had a few cirumstances with crew where we felt they went beyond the call of duty and deserved a little more - personally.

So, for example, last cruise we have handed over an extra $80 in tips. And we felt it was all deserved.

Judy

What is the best way to add to the auto tip?

Envelopes or go to desk before disembark?

I always leave the autotip in place and it's a much better system than stuffing envelopes to hand your waiters & steward onthe last night, that was so awkward.

Last cruise we bought a wooden horse for the racing and were decorating him in our cabin - sparkles everywhere!! 3 days in a row... the poor steward was vacuuming them up twice a day. We tipped him extra :)

I usually don't go the envelope route. I just stick the xtra bucks right into the appropriate hand.

You REALLY need to get off these boards and start packing Pia. LOL!!!!

Kidding & Thanks for the info. It has been SO long since we cruised and Ummm dont remember a lot of it.

We dont wana short anyone. But we also dont wana always be turning around tipping when we are already paying 300.00 at the end of the cruise. Of corse any room service we would and so on. But we dont know how many times we will even be IN the dining room. With anytime dining, how would one know if they get the same waiter or where does that part of the money go in the auto kitty?

On one of the Crown reviews posted yesterday the OP stated that they attempted to extra tip their waiter. He told them even though they kept on the auto-tip and gave him extra he still had to put it into the pool and couldn't keep it just for himself. The OP was surprised, as has been discussed on these boards often, we all believe monies in addition to the auto-tip can be kept by the recipient. I found this very interesting. Perhaps policy has changed. That would certainly effect my decision to tip extra if the recipient still had to put it in the pool and everyone got a chunk of it.

On one of the Crown reviews posted yesterday the OP stated that they attempted to extra tip their waiter. He told them even though they kept on the auto-tip and gave him extra he still had to put it into the pool and couldn't keep it just for himself. The OP was surprised, as has been discussed on these boards often, we all believe monies in addition to the auto-tip can be kept by the recipient. I found this very interesting. Perhaps policy has changed. That would certainly effect my decision to tip extra if the recipient still had to put it in the pool and everyone got a chunk of it.

and "they" would know this how? I am sorry I have always been told that as long as you leave the auto tip on they can keep the cash. If you remove it, and they get cash from you they have to add it to the pool. I have also been told that from some servers to make it look like they haven't been stiffed they add the cash any way if its been removed. Leave it on and give extra if you feel its appropriate.

If our cabin is clean and the cabin person is friendly and listens to my requests (if I have any) we tip then and there. We always have wonderful service. If it is a long cruise we may tip again and then they get the regular tip at the end of the cruise.

Sandy

I seem to recall it being said on here that the system works like this: All cash tips received by these crew must be handed in by them. A record is kept of who's handed in what, and which passenger paid it. The ship obviously knows who's removed the auto-tips. The cash that was paid by passengers who did not remove the auto-tips is paid back to the crew members concerned. But the cash that was paid by passengers who did remove the auto-tips is kept in the pool.

Someone may know whether or not this is actually true.

But if it is true, then a relatively simple misunderstanding could have led to what was posted in that review. Even if the auto-tips are left on, the cash handed in by that crew member has to be paid in and can't simply be kept. That much is consistent with what the reviewer said they were told. But maybe they didn't understand the next step: that amount will go back to the crew member once the auto-tip has been verified.

Then, maybe the system has changed again.

And finally, maybe the crew member wasn't telling the truth or the whole truth.

All these are possibilities!

Gramps25: I know we got off on the wrong foot and there must be some reason you are so sensitive about this issue. You are obviously a very experienced cruiser and I am still waiting for your opinion. I think this has been a level-headed, erudite thread so far and I have gained a lot of insight from it. Your opinion is still welcome!

Archived