C&A Rumor ( this might be old...)

STEVE-O

Why should we remain loyal to RCI after we signed up for Crown and Anchor and met all the criteria for Diamond believing we would receive the benefits they promised?

If they don't provide those promised benefits, why should we sail only RCI? I'll start sailing HAL, for example, which offers some itineraries that are a bit more compelling. Costa has a cruise to Bermuda that I am interested in. So instead of booking cruise after cruise on RCI I WILL DEFINITELY start booking other crusies.

I figure even with the three cruises a year we have been taking on RCI, I will be over 70 before I make Diamond Plus. So I'll stay loyal to RCI just for free drinks at the age of seventy? I don't think so. And I do not think that is hyperbole. I hate being lied to, cheated and taken for a fool.

As I had stated previously, the perks for us are the Diamond discounts and if we don't get them anymore, I will look into trying other lines.

In '05 we did three cruises in less than 6 weeks...Alaska, Caribbean and Bermuda....19 days at sea!! Heck, we didn't get perks for that!!!

Did I say this was a problem, or unfair?:confused: No, it is just a statement of fact. It is much easier for those who live in SoCal and Florida, such as yourself, to reach Diamond status. Most people have to fly, which for us, pretty much doubles what we have to pay. For one person to fly to Florida from Vancouver is about $800 CAD. This means that for some of us less wealthy types, it takes a heck of a lot longer to reach Diamond. Flying to LA for a 3 day weekend cruise is not an option for us; if we could drive to the port, no question we would be Diamond already.

If I lived in SoCal or Florida, I would definitely think I had it made, because I love to cruise. :) And because I hate snow, rain, cold, and don't ski, the Rockies wouldn't cut it for me.;) But, feel free to fly to Canada and go to the Rockies as many times as you like!

Just curious - how many of your many cruises did you fly to, and how many did you drive to? I guess I am lucky that I can go to Alaska without flying, but I prefer palm trees with my cruises!:D

Yes - I agree with you. I live in Wisconsin - which, unless RCL can figure out how to get their ships into the Great Lakes - or, unless geography changes - I do not think that I will have "easy access" to "our" ships. I pay mega-dollars to fly so as to be able to cruise - as you have previously pointed out. I will continue to cruise - but I do agree that (sounding like a child) it just doesn't seem fair!

i just hit platinum, but was planning on doing a few short cruises next year and shooting for diamond in 09. if they changed the policy I would definitely try other lines because it would take forever to hit the 25 mark.

This might be a silly question, but do you earn a credit for every cruise no matter what its length.

Why should we remain loyal to RCI after we signed up for Crown and Anchor and met all the criteria for Diamond believing we would receive the benefits they promised?

If they don't provide those promised benefits, why should we sail only RCI? I'll start sailing HAL, for example, which offers some itineraries that are a bit more compelling. Costa has a cruise to Bermuda that I am interested in. So instead of booking cruise after cruise on RCI I WILL DEFINITELY start booking other crusies.

I figure even with the three cruises a year we have been taking on RCI, I will be over 70 before I make Diamond Plus. So I'll stay loyal to RCI just for free drinks at the age of seventy? I don't think so. And I do not think that is hyperbole. I hate being lied to, cheated and taken for a fool.

The post I was responding to was specifically about changes to who accesses the lounge. My comments were not meant to address changes to D / D+ benefits as a whole. I do agree that the more the benefits change, the more people may stray. My apologies that I was not more clear.

Beyond that, I can understand your emotional reaction, especially if you take the loyalty concept to heart. I look at it slightly differently. First, while I love the benefits I get, I know that RCI - like any company focused on the bottom line - has the right to changes those benefits anytime for any reason, and that they will exercise that right. So I will always thank them and be grateful for what they've done for me, but I know that kind of treatment does not extend in perpetuity.

Second, while the vast majority of my cruises are on RCI because I love their product, I do not subscribe to the hard-core loyalty concept of only cruising with them. The industry is too competitve and there are just too many other excellent products out there with great itineraries and prices.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents in here.

As a diamond member, yes I would be dissapointed if all of the above were to be true, however, I would be very suprised if they took anything away from current diamond members.

What I see them doing IF the rumor is true is if they up the number of cruise credits that it would take to become Diamond, that they would "grandfather in" all the current diamond members. There are way to many diamond members that they would upset, and potentially lose buisness to.

Now this whole thing, from what I can tell is based soley on a rumor. Only one person has cited anything that is somewhat factual (That was from a meet and greet with the LA and CD.) Everything else is based soley on the speculation of the rumor!

Does anyone other than the OP have information on this actually happening - my guess is that it would be a ways out still, and there are several approaches at it IF anything were to change. Therefore, I would sit back relax and not worry about it!

Hello I am not here to debate the Diamond, Credits etc. My DH & I live in So Calif, we have two cruises out of FL, one out of San Pedro , soon out of San Diego. We manage a cruise every other year due to finances as stated above, flying across country to catch a cruise, reduces our ability to cruise more often. We cruise more for the enjoyment and seeing new places and worry less about being Diamond, Gold. I can't even recall the positions, I think we are still Platinum after 3 cruises. For all who are Diamond and above, I hope for your sake RCL doesn't alter your position. We go more for Itenrary and price then Cruise lines but thus far are Princess & RCL fans. Hope no one misunderstands my post. So much easier in person, less chance of misunderstanding. have a good day all.

OT I know, but I was wondering the same thing about Laoghaire. I absolutely love those books. It took me a while to really get into the first one, but once I got going, could not put them down.

Annieeee

Hi dirtgirl and annieeee...Laoghaire is my maiden name (Leary) in Gaelic/Irish. There is a port just south of Dublin, Ireland named Dun Laoghaire--Leary's Fort. Ireland is my "magnificent obsession", having been there 7 times since 1991. I figured it was very appropriate for my user name! But I guess I shall have to go to the library and get the Outlander series!

Helen

Speaking of Credits, we have only done 1 RCL cruise, an 11 night E Caribbean and Oct 2008 we will take a 15 day RT Hawaii Cruise, again with RCL, how many credits will that give us and what do we need to move up to next category. Like I said cruising and meeting new friends is more important to us so just interested. Thank You

Speaking of Credits, we have only done 1 RCL cruise, an 11 night E Caribbean and Oct 2008 we will take a 15 day RT Hawaii Cruise, again with RCL, how many credits will that give us and what do we need to move up to next category. Like I said cruising and meeting new friends is more important to us so just interested. Thank You

Were you in a JS or above?

If not, you would have one credit for the 11 night cruise, and you will have 2 credits for the 15 day cruise once it is completed, for a total of 3 credits.

If you stayed in a JS or above, you would have 2 credits for the 11 night, and I think 3 credits for the 15 day once you have finished it, for a total of 5. So, you would be Platiunum after Hawaii.:)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please!!;)

That will never happen, can't afford a JS. We manage a Cruise every 2 years and really have to budget. Our Ultimate Cruise and wish RCL offered it, is the Australia to Los Angelas. That is my husbands dream trip and if we were to never cruise again, thats the one I would like to do for him and myself of course. We love sea days.

That will never happen, can't afford a JS. We manage a Cruise every 2 years and really have to budget. Our Ultimate Cruise and wish RCL offered it, is the Australia to Los Angelas. That is my husbands dream trip and if we were to never cruise again, thats the one I would like to do for him and myself of course. We love sea days.

I understand completely, and would love to sail to Australia too. Maybe one day!:)

I am really working on doing that cruise for 2010 as a surprise, now how in the world can I pay for that cruise and Hubby not know it LOL I have the sources for the $$$ trying to work out the details to pay it down, then use balance for rest. I have to figure in the On board charges as well. This ought to keep me busy LOL

Just thought I'd share this....when I heard this "rumor" I immediately called C & A to verify any or all parts of it and I was told they knew nothing about this and they said they don't see anything like it happening since right now they've just added the kids their C & A numbers. So with them being so busy trying to update everyone's levels and the fact that they are so behind as it is, they said they'd be crazy to change the level requirements at this point. However, I was told that IF they ever did such a thing, they would certainly grandfather in members.

GWoodman....you may already know this but you're going to be getting our Mariner over in Los Angeles in '09! It's a beautiful ship and you'll love it. I haven't looked into what the itinerary will be as of yet but that will be good for the West coast! :) :) and sooo sad for us in Florida :( :(

[quote name='dirtgirl']Were you in a JS or above?

If not, you would have one credit for the 11 night cruise, and you will have 2 credits for the 15 day cruise once it is completed, for a total of 3 credits.

If you stayed in a JS or above, you would have 2 credits for the 11 night, and I think 3 credits for the 15 day once you have finished it, for a total of 5. So, you would be Platiunum after Hawaii.:)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please!!;)[/quote]

[SIZE=3]You get 1 credit for every cruise you take no matter what cabin you are in. You get an extra credit for staying in a JS and above and you would get an extra credit for a 15 night cruise so if the person is sailing in a balcony or below they get 2 cruise credits for 15 night, if sailing in a JS or higher they get 3 cruise credits. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Example is.... I sail in a JS and on my 12 night I will get 3 credits total for that cruise:) [/SIZE]

[quote name='dirtgirl']One more if you stay in a JS or above; otherwise you would need two more cruises.;)[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Take 5 cruises in a JS or above and you are diamond with 10 cruise credits as it is now. 2 for each cruise in a suite unless 12 nights or more and than you'd get an extra credit. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Earn one cruise credit for each completed sailing and an extra cruise credit when you purchase and sail in a suite (for sailings beginning on or after January 1, 2004) or when you sail on a 12-night or longer cruise/cruisetour (for sailings beginning on or after January 1, 2003).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]From RCCL website[/B][/COLOR]

[/SIZE]

[quote name='GWoodman']I am really working on doing that cruise for 2010 as a surprise, now how in the world can I pay for that cruise and Hubby not know it LOL I have the sources for the $$$ trying to work out the details to pay it down, then use balance for rest. I have to figure in the On board charges as well. This ought to keep me busy LOL[/quote]

One thought would be to book onboard your Hawaii cruise, you may be able to obtain onboard credit for that, with a "NextCruise" booking.

Personally,I think too many people are getting upset about rumor. Unless it is fact, there is nothing to discuss....yet. RCI has the right to change their policy and we'll just have to wait and see.

I cannot tell you how many times I'll be behind someone in line on a cruise and hear absolute rubbish that people will tell each other. I've even been misinformed by cruise ship employees. We were on Monarch in the fall of 2003 and our dining room server told us RCI was pulling out of the West Coast market. I just smiled at him, knowing different and sure enough, they are still here and doing just fine.

What's really amusing is that I've heard some things stated by Diamond members who are so off base it's hysterical. I went on a ships tour last year with a friend and told her ahead of time that there would be some people so obsessed with RCI they live and breathe it. Sure enough, we were seated next to two older men at lunch who told so many tales, I think they were trying to outdo each other. We just smiled ;)

Archived