Need advice =

Cruishappy@aol.com

Perhaps some one can help us ---- we will be traveling on the QM2 in December and are notoriously known for being heavy on the luggage --- have been considering of having our luggage shipped directly to the ship - and was wondereing what the procedure would be to accomplush this --- we will be leaving from Cape Cod and are presently trying to make arrangements for transportation to New York --- ordinarily we would drive - however considering that it will be in December we do not want to take the chance of a snow storm --- you know - Good Old New England Weather - lol ---- would appreciate any advice you may offer on both luggge and transportation --- we are seasoned cruisers and have enjoyed 85 cruisers - so far ---- hope to hear from you ---- also please feel free to e-mail me at Cruishappy@aol.com === thanks

Cunard use DHL for their 'White Star Luggage Service':

http://www.cunard.com/FAQ/faq.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=3686&LeftNav=&Active=&Sub=&OB=&ArticleID=12

Guests can now arrange to have their luggage transported directly to and from the ship. Cunard’s White Star Luggage Service is the perfect alternative to transporting your own luggage through airport congestion and customs. It’s also a wonderful option for those who choose to extend their travels pre or post voyage. Shipment is provided by DHL Worldwide Express and is available exclusively for Cunard guests. Reservations for this service must be secured at least 30 days prior to your sailing date. Service can be requested within 30 days of sailing at an additional cost and is based on availability and destination. Domestic and international shipping is available. Rates start as low as $90.00 USD per bag. Additional terms and conditions apply. For more information and rates specific to your particular voyage, please call 1-888-491-0774.

We went down last January in a bad snow storm ending in ice. at the last minute (like that afternoon) we decided to go down a day early and stay in a hotel in White Plains, making for a relatively easy drive the next morning. If you have the time, you may want to consider this. Another possibility would be to see about driving part way and catching a limo. CT Limo has a terminal in New Haven where they take those small buses into the city. Not sure of the charge, but they have a web page, and I don't think they go directly to the cruise terminal. It might be worth your while to check your roll call and see if several people from CT/Rhode Island/Mass will be on your cruise and perhaps you could share the cost of one of those coaches. Considering the cost of parking at the terminal, your own gas and aggravation, plus the cost of White Star delivery (or DHL booked separately) it may be worth your while to go that way. There is probably a good chance of finding others to share the cost. A lot of folks from new England like these trips because they are out of New York and one doesn't have to deal with flying. You could check into Arrow Buses. I know my parrothead club has had good results hiring a bus from CT to go to Buffett concerts at Great Woods. in fact, we always ask for the same driver! If enough people are interested, it could be worth your while. Look for one of the lines which has the smaller buses, also.

Those are just some thoughts. I realize these can be expensive, but when you consider all of the other costs added together, plus the peace of mind of having a professional driver do the worrying for you, it may well be worth it, especially if you can share the cost.

As for going down a day early, rarely has it happened that the powers that be don't get the highways at least cleared within one day. Not sure how well they do on the Cape. But give that a thought.

Karie,

driving down October 31st. Hopefully no early snow! <G>

Hello, Karie...sorry about JM...:rolleyes:

Having grown up in Marion (Hey Neighbor!), we used to drive a lot, too. What we found, with travel time, is that the train from Providence was the best option. We could usually get someone to drive us that far, or a car and driver shouldn't be too much...Then, in NY, you could either take a cab or arrange for another car service.

But I agree with Karie that going a night ahead is a good idea! Those darned Nor' Westers, Sou' Easters, and just plain storms can really throw a wrench in your plans....an extra day allows for adequate contingency planning.

Andrew

A big THANK YOU for all of your advice --- Yesterday we made reservations to arrive early and will be staying at a Hotel in New York --- but we are still trying to make arrangements on how to get there --- also --- the parking at the hotel is $30.00 per day --- so --- putting it all together --- wondering if taking a limo service would be the best choise --- once again thank for all of your advice

We, too, are from the Boston area. If we are departing from New York, we take the train down a day early and stay in Manhattan. From the Cape, it's a bit more of a logistical problem, but if you could arrange transportation to either Providence, Boston or the 128 Train Station, it would certainly work. I know that you can easily hire a driver to take you to any of those destinations. We like to take the Acela, the fast train. Lovely way to make your way to New York in a comfortable, civilized manner. It's all business class and first class, by the way. Very comfy seats. And, if you park at the 128 station, it's only $10 per day. I should also point out that it's best to purchase your tickets in advance.

Best of luck with you travel plans.

We, too, are from the Boston area. If we are departing from New York, we take the train down a day early and stay in Manhattan. From the Cape, it's a bit more of a logistical problem, but if you could arrange transportation to either Providence, Boston or the 128 Train Station, it would certainly work. I know that you can easily hire a driver to take you to any of those destinations. We like to take the Acela, the fast train. Lovely way to make your way to New York in a comfortable, civilized manner. It's all business class and first class, by the way. Very comfy seats. And, if you park at the 128 station, it's only $10 per day. I should also point out that it's best to purchase your tickets in advance.

Best of luck with you travel plans.

You know, this sounds like a marvelous way to do it, And the excitement of riding the Acela just ads to the anticipation of a fine holiday. For me, I would have to drive to New Haven to catch Acela.I think I can pick it up there- Not worth it. Already half-way to New York! But from the Cape or Boston, definitely worth the cost and trouble.

I'd say go for it.

Karie,

who still hasn't decided on next year's April trip, though I'll drive down next month.

See, there's the cheapskate in me...if I couldn't persuade someone to drive me, I'd certainly leave my car in my brother's driveway in Newton...one ratty old Volvo more, and no one's going to notice!;)

Seriously, the trip to Providence is easy- and closer than 128, and I bet parking there would be fairly cheap...Cheaper still is to treat your neighbor to lunch at Rue de L'Espoir or some restaurant....oops, there I go again...

6A, if I may call you that, is there any advantage, seatwise, in getting on at 128 or Back Bay, or are the seats on Acela reserved? That might make a difference in which way they should head.

Andrew

See, there's the cheapskate in me...if I couldn't persuade someone to drive me, I'd certainly leave my car in my brother's driveway in Newton...one ratty old Volvo more, and no one's going to notice!;)

Seriously, the trip to Providence is easy- and closer than 128, and I bet parking there would be fairly cheap...Cheaper still is to treat your neighbor to lunch at Rue de L'Espoir or some restaurant....oops, there I go again...

6A, if I may call you that, is there any advantage, seatwise, in getting on at 128 or Back Bay, or are the seats on Acela reserved? That might make a difference in which way they should head.

Andrew

I'd vote for 128 over Back Bay because it's easier to drive to and it does have a sizeable garage. I've taken Acela from NYC to 128 several times over the past few years for business trips. I was headed to the western suburbs, so the train made more sense for me than flying into Logan. I don't know what parking is like in Providence.

Acela seats are reserved only in first class, and the last time I checked, it cost more money than the free drinks and airline-style meal were worth. I didn't think the seats were significantly better or more comfortable. Although the train originates in Boston, we never had trouble getting seats at 128. And there is luggage storage at the ends of all cars, and some space between back-to-back rows.

If you decide to save the cost of the white-glove luggage service, then you might apply that money to first class on the Acela and have reserved seats and a bit less hectic boarding.

The staff at 128 are nice, and they can tell you where the cafe car and the quiet car (and the 1st class car) are before the train arrives, so you can position yourself for whatever you need.

Kathy

Archived