Ohhhh you mean the size of your cruise ship.:D

Is that what you call it:D

BTW No is the answer.

Happy Cruising

:cool:

Dai

Well does it?

Cb :cool:

Possibly inversely.... we've just had a smashing 4-night cruise on Fred.Olsen's Braemar, just under 20,000 tons and 725 passengers, and we enjoyed it thoroughly. As a cruise experience it was probably the best yet. Obviously the ports of call - Honfleur & Cherbourg - don't compare with the highlights of the Med (although Honfleur is very attractive), but the time spent on the ship itself was great. We've come home seriously asking ourselves if that 12 nighter on Ventura that we've booked is really what we want to do. But we'll probably keep the booking; then after that we'll have tried both ends of the scale and can take a considered view.

Obviously the bigger ships will have more facilities, but we're beginning to think that facilities aren't the key to a great cruise. Good food, a couple of pleasant bars & convivial company are what we look for in a cruise.

I feel it is like everything else cruise-related, in that it depends what you want from your cruise.

We have been on ships of sizes between 28,000 and 91,000 tonnes and loved all of them but personally I don't feel I want to go on anything bigger than that. 2,000 people in one place at the same time is enough for me so I am not interested in Ventura or any of the other leviathans of the cruise world. One exception I might make is the QM2 for a Transatlantic crossing.

Others however would disagree with me completely and say their idea of a cruise is to have an on-board climbing wall, ice rink and water park. Horses for courses I guess.

Andrew

Others however would disagree with me completely and say their idea of a cruise is to have an on-board climbing wall, ice rink and water park. Horses for courses I guess.

Andrew

'Good god' they are not having horse races on board now are they? ;)

Cb

'Good god' they are not having horse races on board now are they? ;)

Cb

Horse races you will need a big ship for that:D:D

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

I am also wondering if Ventura will be 'too big', so have only committed to a weekender on her for now...this should be enough time to 'look her over' and decide if we fancy a 14nighter on her - but I doubt it.... she is a 'family ship' and I expect a lot of little ones on her... after my ''baby on 2nd sitting sat next to me all 3 nights on Aurora fiasco'' ... I am weary of trying again...I am OK with the saying 'well behaved children at dinner' which is said on the cruise sites....but a 12month old tired grizzly baby and a overwrought anxious mum on 2nd sitting which doesn't even begin till 8.45pm - well, sorry its not good..:mad:

I personally would not take a young baby on a cruise, but if mums feel they want too, there is a creche or night listening.

Sue

On Canberra they used to hold a Race evening in the Ocean Room complete with a tote and jockey colours.

"Horses" were "winched" along the dance floor on a wire by the lady jockeys.

I used to put my money on the lady with arms like Bayonne Hams, and would often make a killing.

In September 2006 on the Oriana for our 18 nighter to the Black Sea there were c.6 children on board.

Avoid the school holidays and remember that the Scots and Ulster school holidays start early July. Longer itineraries are less likely to attract the young of the species.

I concur with the above comments. We assiduously take our cruises out of school holiday periods and have never met a problem. That is apart from a Princess cruise during 'Spring Break' when we encountered drunk American teenagers and their loud and boorish 30 something parents.

In fact one of our least enjoyable cruises was on the new Arcadia, one of the reasons being the lack of atmosphere aboard.

Cb

In September 2006 on the Oriana for our 18 nighter to the Black Sea there were c.6 children on board.

Avoid the school holidays and remember that the Scots and Ulster school holidays start early July. Longer itineries are less likely to attract the young of the species.

I certainly think that you are right to suggest that as a rule of thumb MM, as long as you remember it can go wrong. We were aboard Aurora for 2 weeks from 8th June this year and had 165 youngsters for company :(

Andrew

I certainly think that you are right to suggest that as a rule of thumb MM, as long as you remember it can go wrong. We were aboard Aurora for 2 weeks from 8th June this year and had 165 youngsters for company :(

Andrew

So those parents clearly took their offspring out of school for at least a week - even if one week was half term.

Matthew

Avoid the school holidays and remember that the Scots and Ulster school holidays start early July. Longer itineries are less likely to attract the young of the species.

Derek

My Aurora 3nighter was early sept and I was kind of hoping that the kids would be at school we were onboard 3/4/5th, and here in South West they went back on the 3rd... I would of thought kiddies would not want to miss those first few days of a new school/ school-year...but the children on our cruise were mainly under 5's.....

All those warnings about corporates/stag and hen parties, and we didn't see any of them!! But a good time was had besides that

Sue

So those parents clearly took their offspring out of school for at least a week - even if one week was half term.

Matthew

Absolutely. We went thinking that there would be hardly any children on board. It is not that they were badly behaved or anything but they took over 2 of the 3 pool areas every afternoon, meaning the only place for the adults was the Riviera Pool. It has put me off Aurora, despite the fact that she is such a lovely ship.

Andrew

I feel it is like everything else cruise-related, in that it depends what you want from your cruise.

Others however would disagree with me completely and say their idea of a cruise is to have an on-board climbing wall, ice rink and water park.

The issue of frills is really the combination of an all encompassing holiday experience against the cruise purist there for the sea air and service. Indeed that latter probably prefer sea days watching the horizon drift by (yes please).

I can see the advantage of the climbing wall, ice rink etc which mean that a family can find something for everyone - gran on her balcony with a book, dad on the golf driving range book, mum in the salon, son on the wall, dau on the ice rink etc.

Who of the CC fraternity actually try the more esoteric activities?

My wife and I were also on the same weekender as Sue and I must say the amount of children aboard was a real surprise and has confirmed I prefer the child free Arcadia. Which we have booked for a second time next July

I must admit the most we want to do on a cruise is chill & relax enjoy drifting from port to port maybe filling a little time in the Spa being pampered and spoiled.

I think the important think about size of cruise ship is passenger ratio to tonnage we cruised on Celebrity Millennium last February and found her to be a very pleasent airy ship and never felt bothered by other passengers

I must say I'm a P&O fan but didn't rate the Aurora she has a very odd lay out in my opinion and felt dark and rather shut in.

Can anybody give me any idea on how common Children are on board Cunard ships we are considering trying the QM2

My wife and I were also on the same weekender as Sue and I must say the amount of children aboard was a real surprise and has confirmed I prefer the child free Arcadia. Which we have booked for a second time next July

I must admit the most we want to do on a cruise is chill & relax enjoy drifting from port to port maybe filling a little time in the Spa being pampered and spoiled.

I think the important think about size of cruise ship is passenger ratio to tonnage we cruised on Celebrity Millennium last February and found her to be a very pleasent airy ship and never felt bothered by other passengers

I must say I'm a P&O fan but didn't rate the Aurora she has a very odd lay out in my opinion and felt dark and rather shut in.

Can anybody give me any idea on how common Children are on board Cunard ships we are considering trying the QM2

What a brave man you are. You know that Aurora always comes top of the poll, of most popular P&O ship. Over on P&O CC there have been a number of questions like "Which is your favouite ship?" and Aurora always wins by a landslide.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

You might get a better idea on the Cunard board but we were on board last May and there were very few kids and we only saw them in the early evening, not during the day. The age groups were from 5 up about 11.

I don't know about during school holidays but I get the impression that the QM2 never gets overrun with kids.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Archived